cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As specified, some good things cannot come to an end, not without a huge mess.

slavitch
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I hate to break it to Telus, but their statement on their promotional plan is open ended, fixed price, with no termination clause by vendor. It's the kind of wording that got Churchill Falls in trouble with Hydro Quebec, which is why the latter is paying the former 1960's prices on hydro electric power from Labrador.  By its wording the only party that can sever the contract is the customer. If Public Mobile is folded into Koodo, contracts still survive to the successor company.  The contract is worded in such a way that the plan must remain in force if you auto-renew.

It's quite possible that the only way out of this for PM to be put into liquidation, and even then the customers become creditors.  There are legally iffy ways to do this, by disabling autorenew and hoping people miss their deadlines, or claiming the plan no longer exists and hence piss off, but I suspect that the only way to do this is to liquidate PM and create an entirely new prepaid company, offering people a migration strategy.  But in that case customers become creditors and you can sue the parent company in a class action, which would be ugly.  And then there would be churn and stink.  I do believe the best thing for Telus is to shut up and let sleeping dogs die and let motivated low cost customers continue.

This is the wording that matters and it is important wording:  

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

It might come down to defining "this plan" and "active customer", but the legal dollars needed to battle that might not be worth it.  The two outs are shut down PM or live with the contract as it stands.  The latter is far better for branding.

5 REPLIES 5

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite I can definately see pm going only 3g only in the future, this way it competes directly with lucky and chatr and not with koodo.  This will make upselling from pm 3g to koodo LTE an easier sell.  As to what will happen to our current  LTE plans I do not know.

Yes, I wasn't a believer before but I can see PM shuttering LTE service. As in: keep your current plan/price with 3g, or take this Koodo offer for LTE. Seems doubtful Telus wants to just donate that market space to Rogers/Bell.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Watch them choose to shut down PM. Telus just wanted PM's spectrum in the first place anyway

ekcs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Crawled out of the woodwork to say something to similar effect.

We can almost garuantee that killing PM perhaps with a 90 day notice is what their lawyers are planning next.

Until Dave or one of PM's people comes out to clarify his ominous ambiguity about things coming to an end, the community should take that as a signal that we PM users as a whole are seen as deadbeat bums to be dealt with in what is likely the very near future.

Everyone should start looking at FM, Bell, and Rogers and call up their retention/ customer service reps to see if they would be interested in providing a deal to bring new customers on board. I'm sure they are aware of the debacle over at PM that Telus caused and would be happy to profit.

If Dave didn't start signaling in their apology that they will can us at a later date I may not be here suggesting the above, but due to the signaling I deem his message as more of a get off my lawn signal from Telus and therefore not sincere.

As consumers, I believe our best choice is to ensure that Telus/ Koodo does not benefit from us leaving PM, whether voluntarily due to disgust or by force at a later, more thought out, complaint proof method.

winterzcoming
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

you are forgetting they can remove you discounts such as the loyalty, refferals and auto pay to make you pay exactly 120.00 for the 90 days. They can also switch the speed of the data to 3g as there is nothing in the wording that specificed to what speed of data we get. They can do alot of things to get around this wording. 

Need Help? Let's chat.