cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps stopped working.

Donna21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

all of the apps on my phone stopped working, messages, messenger, amazon, etc. What can I do to fix this?

14 REPLIES 14

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, to everyone reading about this issue, DO NOT factory reset your phone. That is not necessary. Just follow the guidance posted in the thread. For some, uninstalling Android Webview updates did the trick, but that's ultimately a workaround. You'll want to update this app and any others to the latest version, going forward.

@totalUser wrote:

@dabr 

Mine is disabled for months now (when i read your message i remember temporarily disabling it and i totally forgot about it i was gone enable it right after) and i still hit the bump last night. I thought my phone is gone, it just happened that i temporarily put loads of stuff to transfer for somebody. I've read and saw this can happen if you used up your space, so i removed everything but that didn't help. I was certain my drive is going until i noticed that bunch of stuff just updated. As google was crashing the most i just uninstalled all the Google updates and everything is smooth since then. I also noticed the message that Google go is available, I'm considering replacing it permanently with Google go.

@totalUser   Yeah, my thoughts were also that it was my phone that was the problem last night knowing it's getting a little old now.  The only things working on it last night was actually the phone and Whatsapp. 

Tried some troubleshooting including the ever recommended rebooting and reinstalling the SIM which obviously didn't work.  Started to read online that it might be related to a Google app affecting lots of other people and that they were working on a fix, so left it alone until this morning hoping it was sorted out overnight.  No such luck and after reading another couple of articles this morning, tried one that suggested to uninstall the updates from the Android Web System which did the trick. 

A huge relief that it wasn't the phone after all!!

@dabr 

Mine is disabled for months now (when i read your message i remember temporarily disabling it and i totally forgot about it i was gone enable it right after) and i still hit the bump last night. I thought my phone is gone, it just happened that i temporarily put loads of stuff to transfer for somebody. I've read and saw this can happen if you used up your space, so i removed everything but that didn't help. I was certain my drive is going until i noticed that bunch of stuff just updated. As google was crashing the most i just uninstalled all the Google updates and everything is smooth since then. I also noticed the message that Google go is available, I'm considering replacing it permanently with Google go.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Donna21   @mh1983  is right this is related to a Google app. I've had the same  problem since yesterday evening.   Just uninstall all updates from Android System Webview app (under application manager), you might need to okay the request to replace the app with a factory stock version which is what I did. Then reboot the phone .  That fixed everything for me.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@Donna21 

Same problem here, but i got them to work again

Don't reset your phone Google update is the issue. 

I cleared all cache and uninstalled updates to Google. I'll wait for the next update and try then.

Another option would be to try Google go instead and disable google. I'll try that on the tablet if it gets the same issue after update and I'll report back

@Donna21 I think your recent update may have corrupted your operating system. you may have to factory reset your device

mh1983

This is a global issue that Google has addressed.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/22/22345696/google-android-apps-crashing-fix-system-webview

Basically, do any app updates that you have. Reboot the phone for good measure. That should get you back up and running.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Donna21 : Please address some of the troubleshooting questions being asked so we can help narrow down where the problem is.

Calls in/out?

Texts in/out? (maybe even texts in/out with either wifi or mobile data on)

Internet browsing on mobile data?

Internet browsing on wifi?

Edit: Try the SIM in another phone as well if you have one available.

Donna21

Galaxyj3prime 

I turned phone off for awhile

Still telling me that apps stopped working

Phone has been updated

@Donna21 

Do all other calling features work?  Talk, text, BOTH in and out?

If they do, and you still show Data under your self-serve, try the troubleshooting items, leading to Moderator contact if none get you going:

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Donna21

Still lots of data

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

If you still HAVE data left, can you check that all other calling functions work (calling and texting BOTH in and out)

If not, try these troubleshooter items:

1. Make sure airplane mode is off
  2. Power OFF your device, wait 1 minute, turn on and check for signal bars
  3. Check on account self-serve that your account status is Active
  4. Check that SIM card number under “Change Sim card” matches the SIM card number in your phone - this now requires a Moderator to confirm the SIM number on account
  5. Make sure the device is not locked to a different carrier.
  6. Make sure you’re in a covered area and there are no cellular outages
  7. Change Wi-Fi calling preferences to Cellular Preferred or Cellular Only
  8. Set network mode to Auto
  9. Reset network settings

what kind of phone is yours?

did you try reboot your phone?

any difference between using Wifi and Data?

Also, did you try updating all your Apps?  and see if any update to your phone?

Spudster

@Donna21 

Check your data allotment under your Data and Add-On's section

If it's not shown under that category, it's all gone.

Try a Wi-Fi zone instead.

Need Help? Let's chat.