cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting calls from Latvia??

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A couple of my accounts have been getting lots of calls from Latvia the last few days. A couple of friends said they had a few as well. Anyone else experiencing this? I blocked the numbers but they call back using different number maybe it’s a robo caller? 

11 REPLIES 11

prairiedogbob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Lowufo 

Yeah then calls from Latvia dang it!

stevenanto

@darlicious I guess they will be making their way to me soon lol

@Lowufo 

Yep got my first two yesterday!

stevenanto

I used to get quite a few from Latvia few years ago. It does get annoying, but yes just blocking the number might help from them calling from the same number. However they do tend to change their numbers. 

@HALIMACS wrote:

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

Of course if you don't answer, and your voicemail answers, the call is still logged as connected/answered in a robocallers system. If you really want it to not show as answered in a robocaller database, you have to divert those calls to a deadend (ie *67*0000000000# ) and manually decline them to invoke a call failure for them.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Lowufo 

Follow this rule of thumb:

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

@NDesai 

Google's algorithm is getting better and better. I can't wait till they roll out the "hold for me" feature to Canada. then we won't have to listen to that horrible music anymore 👏

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I used to get lots of calls from Africa.  I have not received any this year.  

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yep, sounds like a robo caller to me!  Especially with the introduction of internet-based phone systems (VoIP), it's incredibly easy to change what appears on Caller ID.  Somebody in Canada can make it appear like it's coming from Asia, and somebody from Europe can make it appear like it's coming from your "next door neighbour" or worse, from a legitimate phone number and pretend to be them.

You could block them, but as you see - they just keep changing their phone number.  Personally, I would just ignore their calls because it's an unlimited-unending battle.  I haven't gotten any calls recently, but I've also had days where I get several junk calls in one day.  They leave (partial) voice messages in some language I don't understand.

Sorry to hear you're being targeted!  Then again, we all are... at random... 🙂

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I actually haven't received any spam call in a while. Not sure if it's Google auto blocking or something, but when I do get a call, I put them on Screen call. 

@Lowufo wrote:

A couple of my accounts have been getting lots of calls from Latvia the last few days. A couple of friends said they had a few as well. Anyone else experiencing this? I blocked the numbers but they call back using different number maybe it’s a robo caller? 

Unfortunately, people do sometimes receive uwanted or unsolicited phone calls. The calls might not actually be callng from the displayed phone number. Some making a phone call could really make the phone number be anything.

Need Help? Let's chat.