cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting Chinese scam calls?

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

ive literally gotten four today and the day isn’t even over. 

Ice ce gotten three coming from Jamaica New York, they have a Chinese song playing in background with someone talking Chinese. 

Then an the fourth came from a 1800 number and it was for Dhl package started English then went to Chinese. 

Im in the Montreal area. 

Just curious to if anyone has been receiving more of these

21 REPLIES 21

Zyl

@NDesai   Yes that screen call feature is just awesome!  Everything from Google is just awesome and so much more advanced you feel like you are living in the future.  LOL 

@Zyl wrote:

@NDesai  yup pixel phones are the best.  They are able to identify spam calls automatically and advise you for you to block them and they have a built-in spam filters that automatically blocks suspected spam calls.  And their spam-identifying algorithms is pretty accurate.  So far I haven't missed any legitimate phone calls and haven't received any spam calls either.  

They are actually making improvements to the Dialer app that anyone on Android can get. The screen call feature that is exclusive to Pixel owners. This feature helps when you don't recognize the number and let the bot answer for you. 

Zyl

@stevenanto  scammers getting desperate and expanding to new markets.  LOL

Zyl

@NDesai  yup pixel phones are the best.  They are able to identify spam calls automatically and advise you for you to block them and they have a built-in spam filters that automatically blocks suspected spam calls.  And their spam-identifying algorithms is pretty accurate.  So far I haven't missed any legitimate phone calls and haven't received any spam calls either.  

stevenanto

@Nezgar This is gold, love your work and thanks for the info, I checked out this thread. Keep it up

I've collected quite a few calls from those chinese and CRA scammers diverting those calls to Lenny... I've adapted the initial answer message to include playing a DTMF "1" digit to ensure it wastes some time of an actual human after the initial Robocall...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

stevenanto

@hairbag1 Its been a few months actually since my last call. luckily i havent gotten any since i posted this thread. Theres a few new documentaries about how India says that they are trying to crack down it and ctv actually sent a reporter and he made it in one of their buildings, ive gotta find that video. pretty cool

@stevenanto...

If you answer their call, those scofflaws will know that your number is active and they'll keep hounding you for weeks or longer.

Try to get into the habit of not answering any call if you don't recognize  the number. If it's legit, they'll leave a message and you can call 'em back. Try it for a month and you'll see that after a while...they'll give up calling you.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

these days it really doesn't matter what provider you are on those calls come through, believe me, any provider I've been on has had them, it's big business for criminals so they'll always find a way to spam.

nahsha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@stevenanto here's the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer

You can also check in settings for more options.

stevenanto

@nahsha Which app is this, I’ll give a try if I get more calls this week. But it usually comes in waves. 

stevenanto

Haha will do. I’ll even give them the rest of my family’s info just to be safe 

nahsha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm using "phone by Google" android app (free), it's pretty good at detecting and filtering spam calls. 

@stevenanto 

Dont forget go straight to the bank, collect all of your money out of the bank and send it to them for safekeeping!!

stevenanto

I know it’s not PM related but I’ve never had so many in short period of time. I’d rather get the cra investigator and have fun with them. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

If you have Google Pixel phones, scam calls are so rare. They made many improvements to automatically block scam calls. Many times i see some unknown numbers called, but my phone never rings as they are automatically blocked. On the other hand, my work iPhone gets a lot of scam calls (not on PM). We see a waves coming at us, one coworker gets it and then cycles around. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

yes.. this is normal, unfortunately .

I got these Mandarin calls or CRA calls.  But no worry, it's not PM related.  People on another networks or landline got this, too.  Just be careful.. don't click anything.. hang up 🙂

cbenny13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I haven't had that!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I get crank calls all the time.  They come in spurts.  My favorite is the CRA imposter.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stevenanto 

If you are getting the asian lady "Nī hăo!" (nee-how) which is hello in mandarin i think everybody gets these calls. Block, block and block some more....

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

That's pretty normal if you just got that number. Just block all those numbers.

Need Help? Let's chat.