cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Pay now online

clarkbrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Has anyone tried Android Pay yet? I just added my cards but haven't had a chance to use it.

47 REPLIES 47

I am waiting for rbc debit card. Can't add now its say not compatible or support those debit card with rbc yet.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the for the follow-up, @Whopper88.  I'm not shocked that there's no plan to offer NFC SIMs anytime soon.  Honestly I never really saw the need for them--if you need/want NFC, buy a phone that includes it!  But that's just me.

The odd thing is the reply that NFC SIM is a fairly new technology.  I'm pretty sure it's been around for a number of years, back from when NFC wasn't necessarily common on most phone models.  Funny.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Whopper88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was able to get in touch with PM regarding NFC SIM Cards

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can definitely assist you with this!

I checked with my tech support team and they told me our SIM cards don’t support NFC just yet. I apologize for this inconvenient. Let me know if you need anything else and have a great day!

So i asked if they were thinking of bringing it in.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

To answer your question, I cannot confirm if Public Mobile will be bringing this feature anytime soon, as it is fairly new. Given the fact that new technology is coming out everyday and we are always looking to improve, it could be a possibility. Rest assured that if it does come to Public Mobile, all our customers will be informed.

With that being said, I hope that we were able to answer your question, concerning the Android Pay feature. If not, please let us know.

For all other inquiries, we invite you to also visit our
community, a place to share ideas, find answers to your questions and earn rewards.

Hope this helps everyone. Smiley Happy

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just tried AndroidPay at Subway yesterday - BMO Mastercard. All you need to do is have your phone unlocked. You do not need to open the AndroidPay app, unless you want to change your default payment, if you have more than one card added. During setup, the app forces you to have a pin or lock code to unlock or wakeup, so you cannot have an 'open' phone. Not sure how refunds might work if they require your card to refund it back to.

Aside - BMO offers option (not sure about others) that will email everytime your card is used, either physically, online, or preauthorized payments (eg Netflix). Called BMO Alerts - I love this. This email is typically within a minute. But, I did not get an email when I used Android Pay. So I am wondering if Andoid Pay delays or combines transactions or just what before your actual credit card is charged.

Edit - silly me.......  The BMO Alert did not trigger because it was below the threshold that I had set ($10.00) 

CET_GUY27
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Look for this logo

Image result for ontario tap and pay logo or the Android pay logo

Image result for android pay logo

Whopper88

We are talking about 2 different things here where Android Pay works.

1) Phones that have built in NFC will work wherever there is Tap

2) Phones that do not have built in NFC but have an NFC Enabled SIM card will also work

3) Phones that don't have NFC or NFC enabled SIM Cards (Me Smiley Sad) We are SOL.

I see the Android pay logo all over Edmonton right now, but it just started on June 5.

jpar

@CET_GUY27 wrote:
It is accepted anywhere you can tap your credit or debit card on the pay terminal so pretty much everywhere except Walmart.

Oh, really?

Thanks a bunch folks, I went and read the link supplied by @CET_GUY27 and saw a comment from another Nexus 5 user, and they reported success.

I'll have to try it out - it's looking good thus far!

mattdxb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stonechucker wrote:

So @CET_GUY27, you're confirming it worked for you in an NFC enabled device, without a NFC Sim.  Is this right?

Everything I read in previous years mentioned the need for an NFC Sim - which PublicMobile does not have.

Thanks.

NFC sim cards aren't necessary on NFC enabled devices. Also, the way Android Pay works is that it uses Host Card Emulation and things like tokenization is kept in the cloud instead of the phone. This is so Android Pay can work on pretty much every NFC enabled Android phone running the OS older than 4.4

@stonechucker I use mobile payments all the time at McDonalds and I dont need a NFC Sim (Using apple pay I know). I assume some of the higher end android phones will be the same

"While the iPhone does support and use NFC terminals. The hardware for it is already inside the iPhone itself. NFC features like Apple Pay will work without anNFC specific sim unlike some Android devices which do require an NFC specific chip. Sim cards issued by carriers for iPhones are not NFC specific.".

CET_GUY27
Correct. I'm using a Nexus 6P with a public mobile sim and have successfully used Android pay at several retailers (LCBO, Tim's, Esso). It seems they NFC sim cards are for non-NFC phones to enable this type of payment.

So @CET_GUY27, you're confirming it worked for you in an NFC enabled device, without a NFC Sim.  Is this right?

Everything I read in previous years mentioned the need for an NFC Sim - which PublicMobile does not have.

Thanks.

CET_GUY27
It is accepted anywhere you can tap your credit or debit card on the pay terminal so pretty much everywhere except Walmart.

@jpar Android Pay just launched in Canada

It is like a week old tops

So very little support (not even all major banks support yet)

News report only lists Lulumon & Uber as being supported thus far

Its ok since Apple Pay in over a year launch still supports very few vendors

To put in perspective, despite widespread release in USA, only like 5% of consumers are actually using it & 16% say they have tried it

I am skeptical of the value in the concept personally

jpar

How widespread is Android Pay acceptance in Canada? Haven't noticed many signs around, but Apple Pay is starting to pop up at some retailers. No NFC here, but wondering.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Whopper88 sorry to hear your phone doesn't have NFC.  It's a shame some models (e.g. OnePlus X, and a handful of other lower-to-mid end devices) decided to leave it out.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CET_GUY27
They do not have a NFC sim

Whopper88

I don't have a phone that has NFC, I contacted CIBC and they said that I would need an NFC SIM card.  Does anyone actually know if PM has a NFC SIM card.  I have looked all over, and cannot find the answer.

Thanks

No doubt its way behind if compared with Apple pay.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

mattdxb

@Samianauman wrote:
Android or Samsung pay still way behind if compared with Apple pay
Lots of big retailer accept Apple pay as well looks like apple pay beat Android pay in Canada at least

Yeah, Apply Pay was available a year before Android Pay. Samsung Pay is now the most behind since they're only supported by CIBC at the moment. All three are accepted wherever tap is accepted though. There's no Apply Pay specific terminals.

mattdxb
It will always charge your default card if you simply tap your phone on the terminal. If you want to charge to a different card, you have to open up the app and manually select it.

CET_GUY27
If your banks credit card isn't accepted, bug your bank as it's their doing...

CET_GUY27
Android Pay is available for your Visa and MasterCard from most of the major banks (At launch on May 31: BMO, CIBC, Banque Nationale, Scotiabank, Desjardins, President’s Choice Financial, ATB Financial and Canadian Tire Financial Services support Android Pay, with support currently limited to credit cards from MasterCard and Visa. Support for Interac debit cards will be available after June 5th. According to Google, support for American Express Tangerine cards will also come soon). RBC and TD both apparently have their own mobile payment solutions and will not support AP yet.

I have a Nexus 6P and it works with my Public Mobile SIM no problem! Just set up, add your card and you can use it anywhere you can tap your credit card.

(Source: http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/31/how-to-use-android-pay-canada/)

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
@clarkbrand

You need to download the actual android pay app to select through cards I believe. I see my GM Scotiabank visa works and I think Canadian Tire Mastercard does too.

To those comparing it to samsung pay, it's not a skin on Android pay. Samsung uses the actual magnetic strip reader in any credit card reader so basically works anywhere.

@xCameron94x Canada has 30 tier 1 banks currently

24 tier 2

28 tier 3

4 non-tier

4 government owned banks 

That is over 100 authorized banks, 6 of our National Banks have been around since the 1800s (the 7th major bank, TD did not open until 1950s)

And after that we have tons of smaller units like co-ops and credit unions

US has same issue we do; a few big names who dominate then a whole bunch of smaller banks you probably never heard of

@xCameron94x wrote:

@stonechucker its true, canada is much more regulated than the states for example in terms of banking. In the states there are so many different banks, compared to here where we have maybe less than 10 banks. (RBC,CIBC,SOCTIA,BMO,TD, Tangerine) ect

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Android pay still in early stages not that many cards are compatible as of yet lets see what they offer in future I still like my Apple Pay until android pay get stable I tried on my other phone to add 4 cards all are not compatible yet

ryanwoo

Installed and found none of my card works. Hope they will add more soon.

General question for ops
I set it up and add few cards
Now if I want to use it lets say McDonald I keep my nfc on right then tap at terminal to pay but how do i select which card I want to use like when I tried Apple pay u have a option to select what ever card I want to use i don't see that option on android pay am I missing something or it will charged to default first card that I entered

clarkbrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I like it because Canada is set up well to accept contactless payment. I find out quick and easy. Went to Tim Hortons today and didn't have to take out the wallet. I guess it's not for everyone but I have been waiting for a while for it to come out. I also like how you can have multiple cards and rewards cards on there.

I read an article a while ago stating Apple pay (and I suspect Android pay) took longer to come to Canada because the banks held out on the percentage charged by Google/apple. Apple makes slightly less in Canada.

@ChopstickHero wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am I do not disagree with you.  But on those days when the card was mistakenly left at home, and I need to pay for fuel, or groceries, etc...  It sure would be handy if I could tap my phone, if I didn't have cash.

Agreed, very handy when I don't need/want to bring my wallet everytime I step out of the office or house. I use Apple Pay almost everywhere that accepts tap now.

I drive everywhere, so the wallet comes with me until such time that android drivers license is available and accepted by the local constabulary.

Need Help? Let's chat.