cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android OS Leakage

Mjørk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hallo Community,

I have my data always off, but I noticed that "Android OS" has been using data even whilst I've turned it off. The only data events that show up on my PM account are "web events" or "MMS." I have read on other community posts that MMS is included in the texting portion of the plan. How come data is still being used? What is causing this leakage and how do I prevent it?

Cheers,
Mark

Screenshot_20200722-200110.png

Screenshot_20200722-200226.png

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@Mjørk hi if you wanna see the current amount in your self serve just toggle airplane mode on and off. then refresh your web page and it will tell you the correct amount. when using MMS there is a data buffer of around 5mb that gets activated. don't go by the phone amount it will most likely be incorrect

I'm not too sure what the leak is... I have a pixel 4 and my phone does the same thing. maybe it's adding the buffer to the total data usage

It's not MMS that has a data buffer...it's the mere act of turning on cell data that the system then takes the buffer.

Mjørk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks! I appreciate it

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Mjørk hi if you wanna see the current amount in your self serve just toggle airplane mode on and off. then refresh your web page and it will tell you the correct amount. when turning on data there is a buffer of around 5mb that gets activated. don't go by the phone amount as it will most likely be incorrect

I'm not too sure what the leak is... I have a pixel 4 and my phone does the same thing. maybe it's adding the buffer to the total data usage

thanks @Anonymous 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Mjørk I have removed the first screenshot as it is showing phone numbers. Please hide phone numbers before posting. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mjørk wrote:

Hallo Community,

I have my data always off, but I noticed that "Android OS" has been using data even whilst I've turned it off. The only data events that show up on my PM account are "web events" or "MMS." I have read on other community posts that MMS is included in the texting portion of the plan. How come data is still being used? What is causing this leakage and how do I prevent it?

Cheers,
Mark

Some have seen that MMS might take 1KB. In the grand scheme of your 250MB, that would take 250000 MMS messages in 30 days to consume. I wouldn't worry about it.

When you turn on cell data, the system grabs a buffer. Your phone will do some internal sync-ing too.

Turn off cell data and flip in and out of airplane mode and it will clear the buffer and then show your real actual usage.

Some phones will also failover to cell data if they can't keep connected or can't find wifi when wifi is on. That is an option you can turn off if you like.

Need Help? Let's chat.