cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amount of data for online conference

Celynne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Approximately how much data would be needed to attend a one day online conference - approximately 8 hours. I haven’t been given the mode of communication yet but am assuming it will be a Zoom presentation. 

14 REPLIES 14

Celynne

@geopublic 

Thanks so much for the information. It is very helpful. 

Celynne

@dude65 

Thanks

Celynne

@all4black 
Thanks. We are supposed to be out of town without wifi. I was hoping to use my phone but it looks like I will need to stay home to ensure I have proper access. 

Celynne

@Triguy 
Thank you for sharing this article! It was very helpful. 

Celynne

@gpixel 
Thank you for the chart! It is very helpful. 

Celynne

@hairbag1 
We are supposed to be at a cabin for the week but I need to attend the conference. I was hoping to be able to access it with my phone but it looks like I better just stay home to attend. 

Celynne

@Carniam 

Thanks. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Celynne wrote:

Approximately how much data would be needed to attend a one day online conference - approximately 8 hours. I haven’t been given the mode of communication yet but am assuming it will be a Zoom presentation. 

@Celynne 

Well, that can be quite a complex when its comes to estimation. Just arriving at a figure based on the time spent for the webinar may not yield the accurate results. More than the data speed and the number of hours – it should ideally depend upon the contents or composition of your conference.

The text and data in a webinar would not consume much data in an hourly session when compared to a meeting where a lot of multimedia content is shared. Studies have indicated that a meeting lasting around one and a half hour should consume around 350 MB ideally.

That again would be dependent upon the connection speeds and a host of other aspects. For the sake of arriving at a figure, consider the per hour consumption of cellular data for a WebEx conference usage should range somewhere between 0.5 GB to 1 GB in the ideal cases. So in your case 4-8 GB will be required..

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would use wifi as it will chew up a lot of data.

all4black
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hope you will acces to  wi-fi over there

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Celynne 

Zoom data usage for a group call

QualityDownloadUploadTotal
High450 MB/hr.360 MB/hr.810 MB/hr.
720p675 MB/hr.675 MB/hr.1.35 GB/hr.
1080p1.2 GB/hr.1.2 GB/hr.2.4 GB/hr.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Celynne wrote:

Will you have access to wifi for your conference ?

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A lot. You’re better off finding some free wifi somewhere. I would hazard at least 1GB and hour, though most likely much more.

Need Help? Let's chat.