cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amber alert

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have an iPhone 8plus. There was an amber alert the other day and I did not receive it. After googling I scrolled down to “setting” “notifications” and to the bottom and I do not have the turn government notifications on/off tab. Online it suggested that the carrier is the issue...anyone have experience with this? 

I used to get all alerts.

I’ve recently wiped my phone, started it from new and forced it to 3G as I wasn’t receiving all phone calls, randomly they’d go straight to voicemail and after A LOT of fixes this is the only thing that works. I doubt they’re connected issues but who knows. 

12 REPLIES 12

@computergeek541 wrote:
... and you won't get the siren alert sound.

Some of us prefer it that way, lol.

LoreckAvery

this may be a good solution  as I have data, thanks 

LoreckAvery

I was standing in a (socially) distanced crowd when everyone around me received  the Alert and then with my husband for the follow up alert as his phone went off and mine didn’t on same carrier 

@LoreckAvery wrote:

Ugh. So pick my poison? Either my phone is completely unreliable as a phone or I don’t get potentially important alerts. Ughhhhh

The Weather Network app will also provide the same information as these alerts. However, you will need an internet connection, and you won't get the siren alert sound. You'll only hear whatever the regular notification sound is.

LoreckAvery

Ugh. So pick my poison? Either my phone is completely unreliable as a phone or I don’t get potentially important alerts. Ughhhhh

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Did other people in the area receive this alert broadcast?

Did your phone have low signal, weak battery, etc during this alert broadcast?

Alert Ready (En Alert) has received a lot of criticism about unreliable delivery in the past, so missing an alert might be meaningless (because a local cell site didn't transmit or whatever). But it would certainly be a problem if you (and others?) continue to miss many alerts.

I don't know iPhones, but I wouldn't rule out any particular version of iMessage somehow interfering with these SMS-CB alerts. Easy to test by using a different messaging app long enough to observe whether or not these alerts are being received.

@jlarocque96 wrote:

Data was the term the poster used in the Google search. I think that were just using 3g data as a term incorrectly. 

Many sources have this wrong, including some large news agencies/media outlets. Data can be turned off and alerts will still be received as long as you're connected to the LTE network.

jlarocque96
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Data was the term the poster used in the Google search. I think that were just using 3g data as a term incorrectly. 

@jlarocque96 wrote:

@Dunkman 

Never knew that! Fact check says your right. 

Straight from Google. 

If you're running an Android device, you'll have to turn off LTE in your settings to opt out, according to iPhone in Canada. Since the alerts are sent out to those connected to LTE networks, by using your 3G data, you should not receive any alerts. 

This also doubles as a way of avoiding alerts it seems. 

Data settings are unrelated to these alerts. Data is not used and data does not need to be turned on.

jlarocque96
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Dunkman 

Never knew that! Fact check says your right. 

Straight from Google. 

If you're running an Android device, you'll have to turn off LTE in your settings to opt out, according to iPhone in Canada. Since the alerts are sent out to those connected to LTE networks, by using your 3G data, you should not receive any alerts. 

This also doubles as a way of avoiding alerts it seems. 

@LoreckAvery wrote:

I have an iPhone 8plus. There was an amber alert the other day and I did not receive it. After googling I scrolled down to “setting” “notifications” and to the bottom and I do not have the turn government notifications on/off tab. Online it suggested that the carrier is the issue...anyone have experience with this? 

I used to get all alerts.

I’ve recently wiped my phone, started it from new and forced it to 3G as I wasn’t receiving all phone calls, randomly they’d go straight to voicemail and after A LOT of fixes this is the only thing that works. I doubt they’re connected issues but who knows. 

@Dunkman has the answer for you. You must be connected to LTE to receive these.

The settings in your phones about alerts will make no difference. The alert system ignores those settings.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@LoreckAvery 

Actually, the two issues are likely connected.  Your phone needs to be connected to LTE network to receive amber alerts.  3G network will not receive amber alerts from my understanding.  

Need Help? Let's chat.