cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional SIM card for paired smart watch?

skewpar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it possible to get another SIM card on my account to use in an LTE enabled smart watch along with my phone?

17 REPLIES 17

martin8

PM has easy access to the same technologie as Telus, i hope it is just a matter of time {hopefully not long} before PM rolls out similar plans.

as for the phone 's themselves, so very much can be put into a chip, a digital simcard, is peanuts, and it takes up no space inside the watch.

I think, the business plan is, to serve all people with deep wallets { no issue's with expensive plans} and when those sales start dropping serve the general public, with affordable smart watches together with affordable plans { after all it's just business }

martin8

Just like you, just waiting for affordability on a plan, this also with holds me from buying a smart watch at this moment, the little bit of use, come's with a 70 dollar jump in a monthly plan, well i'm not going that way, as many others don't

Not all smartwatches have physical SIM card slots, some have embedded eSIMs which cannot be replaced or reprogrammed. Which means locked to one carrier forever. And means this carrier is not Public Mobile (because they do not sell any devices, with or without eSIMs).

Why can't these wearables be linked/tethered through Bluetooth or WiFi? Question was asked above but not yet answered. Today's technology is easily able to accommodate low-cost high-density (and FCC-approved) bandwidth for realtime biometric sensors, onboard processing, etc, so it seems like there's no technical reason to prevent it. 

martin8

I think, as soon as there are reasonable priced plans out for smart phones, for just basic phone, text and a tiny bit of data { read push notifications } with the same phone number as the phone,it will skyrocket, the phones themselves have already dropped a lot in price now, in my case i have to add to my monthly plan $ 70 a month, yup that is every month, that's way more as i want to spend.

It is also witholding me at this moment from buying a smart watch, and i did get the impression in the last week, while gathering info in stores, that a whole lot of people think the same way 

guillow

Yeah, good point @srlawren. Although, I wonder if the functionality depends on complexity of the solution and it's implementation.

If numbersync was somehow an easy to plugin software solution on the provider side, perhaps it would make business sense for this functionality if enough people start asking for it 😉

I unfortunately don't know much about the complexities of such a solution...I sure wish it were easy though 😄

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@guillow I would find it very unlikely that we will get that type of functionality any time in the foreseeable future.  Please always remember that PM is a no-frills provider.  They offer the basic talk, text, and data plans, simply and well, with very few extras offered.  As much as I'd love to see some additional features like this, I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

guillow

Thanks for the information here, although I wonder if I could add a comment. In the USA you can have another sim card for the LG watch sport that then has a function such as "Numbersync". That way calls and texts come from the same phone number despite being on 2 different sim cards. 

The benefit is that you can go without a phone and do everything you need to do for short trips. Really the future of watches as the hardware and software improves. Then you can pair a bluetooth headset to the watch and you can be phone-less for many features.

Is it possible for PublicMobile to have this numbersync function?

skewpar

Going for a run, is another example. Phones are clucky 😉

@skewpar
I know what you mean when I goto gym I used to connect my Samsung watch but now I I have a iPhone and bought a watch too so I connect with Apple Watch works pretty good
Suggust you get one of those Bluetooth enable smart watches this way you can leave your phone in a bag and use watch while working out
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

skewpar

Just wanted an option to not carry my phone (e.g. going to the gym)

He lol
Cmon guys don't post that I m here all the time if wife check those comments she will make me close my account 😉

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

@Samianauman never sleeps; (s)he's a bot! Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I I'll take that as a compliment lol 😂
And I only join this fourm month ago just notice my name is on top of bravo list (last 30 days)
But I have learned alots from other ops which I always appreciate their suggestions and if I m wrong sometimes they do the correction for me i enjoy my public mobile great place with great ops and fantastic moderators

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You're just everywhere lol

@Watoko

Agreed someone did asked same thing few days ago lol I answered that question too I think it's just a timing I was here both time when those questions popped up 

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As @Samianauman has said. You would need to switch your SIM card between your phone and your watch. This question popped up before, and I was wondering (for curiosity sake), why would you need a SIM card on your watch, when you can Bluetooth and tether from your phone? I don't own a smartwatch 😛

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
No you can't get additional sim on same account
But you can get a another sim with new plan
There's no carrier offer duplicate sim for one account
Only option you have connect Watch with Bluetooth connection like Samsung and Apple Watch have full access to cellphone plan once then connected via Bluetooth

Those LTE enable Watch ️ made to have a whole separate own plan unless user don't mind keep swapping sim back n forth which is pain

Two SIM card required 2 plans that's most Canadian and USA carrier rules unless you have a shared account even on shared you only shared a plan each member have there own number as well 😉
Need Help? Let's chat.