cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating number from abroad

lukastanisic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,
I've purchased your SIM card from Amazon and I'm waiting for it to get shipped. I live in Europe. Will I be able to activate the SIM card on my unlocked phone? I have a Canadian Visa debit card and I can top up via Airtime. I only need the number to receive verification SMS from my bank, so how often do I need to top up my plan and what's the minimum plan that supports my requirements? How often do I need to top up my number to keep my phone number?
Thanks for assisting me!

14 REPLIES 14

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@lukastanisic  Most banks that use SMS for authentication will also send the PIN by a voice call. If your Canadian bank does so, get the https://www.fongo.com/fongo-voicemail/  app and set up its voicemail to email service. You can then request a voicecall and Fongo will email you the message, or if you are online your Fongo number will ring wherever you are connected to wifi, or cellular data.

Fongo calling services are free; incoming SMS are also free and may accept the 2FA authetication SMS, but I am not sure. See: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212434926-SMS-short-codes-activations-and-verifications

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @lukastanisic 

If you need a Canadian number you can try TextNow, it will not install in every country in Europe, I'm certain it will not in Germany but it will in Switzerland. You can give it a try.

I had luck with dingtone and receiving various codes, but you can only get usa number for free. Canadian number will cost, not as much as keeping Publicmobile account activated, i believe just couple of bucks even cheaper if you pay for a year.

I would suggest you first try with a free American number and if they won't accept it then try Canadian

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @lukastanisic 

I might recommend contacting your financial institution to confirm which Canadian mobile suppliers they can issue SMS short texts to.  There are limitations.

Could another option be for a close friend or associate or roommate to receive the SMS short code text on their cell number as a stop-gap measure?  Then they could just tell/show you the code - admittedly that may only work if they're with you at the time as these codes are time sensitive.

@lukastanisic 

My textnow area code is 450. (Quebec) other Quebec area codes are 418,438, 514, 819

lukastanisic

US area codes work fine.. Don't know why Canadian ones don't?!

lukastanisic

Tried with like 10 area codes, none worked. Any other app or specific area code you know that works? 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can setup the $15 plan which is the least expensive but it will only work in Canada or roaming in the US.  If you only need texting then you might want to use use a wifi app like Textnow.

@lukastanisic 

Just download textnow. Free Canadian number. Works on wifi or data to call/text Canada/USA numbers for free.

If it's any Canadian number. Just google search Canada area codes to type into textnow to get a number.

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lukastanisic wrote:

They told me I needed to get a Canadian phone number for SMS verification. I have a European number. Do you know any other provider that can solve my problems if I can't do it this way? 

I don't know if banks like it but what about those wifi texting apps like TextNow?

That's what all banks say at first 🙂

lukastanisic

They told me I needed to get a Canadian phone number for SMS verification. I have a European number. Do you know any other provider that can solve my problems if I can't do it this way? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lukastanisic wrote:

That't what all providers say at first, I don't need to have a plan I just need the phone number to register on a network in Roaming. Will that work? I don't need to have anything included from data,minutes or messages. I'll pay per use. 

No. Public Mobile only works in Canada and has roaming options for only the US.

This is not the service for you and what you're asking.

lukastanisic

That't what all providers say at first, I don't need to have a plan I just need the phone number to register on a network in Roaming. Will that work? I don't need to have anything included from data,minutes or messages. I'll pay per use. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lukastanisic : Why are you choosing Public Mobile? Why wouldn't you use any number of likely vastly cheaper options available in Europe? Wouldn't your bank be able to send to an international number?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@lukastanisic 

Public Mobile does not work in UK. Sorry you're out of luck!

It only works in Canada & USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.