cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate a new Public Mobile SIM card isn't working in unlocked iPhone.

Sukh2001
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got  following message on iPhone:

The SIM Card that you have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation pol icy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with iPhone. Please request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier.

14 REPLIES 14

@Gympknee wrote:

Try going into a mall with kiosk that sells Public mobile service, see if they can sell you a new SIM card and ask them for help. 

Store sales staff do not provide support for Public Mobile customers. Also, they wouldn't be able to attach the new SIM card to the account. 

Gympknee

Try going into a mall with kiosk that sells Public mobile service, see if they can sell you a new SIM card and ask them for help. 

Chatr Mobile (stylized as chatr) is a Canadian mobile virtual network operator owned by Rogers Communications Canada targeting entry-level customers.  

@Sukh2001 wrote:

It's already unlocked. I have cancel my service with Charter Mobile. 

@Sukh2001  If your phone was unlocked you would not be getting this message. The message means that your phone is still locked.

Gympknee

If you open YouTube there are several videos that show you how to check if your phone is locked. In 2017 the government made it mandatory that all cell phones sold were to be unlocked. Your provider has to unlock your phone for free. If you still want to change to Public to save money in these hard times you can call your provider and ask them to unlock your phone. 

@Naepalm wrote:

@Sukh2001 wrote:

The SIM Card that you have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation pol icy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with iPhone. Please request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier.

You will need to contact your previous carrier to get your phone unlocked. Make sure to have you IME# ready.

In order to get your IME# Dial *#06# this will give you the IME#

Once the phone is unlocked you can then use a SIM from another provider. Not really sure why any provider would ever lock phones to only their network? Maybe it helped wit efficiency on the network but my best guess is they wanted to make extra money initially and deter people from leaving their network. 

If it is unlocked as you say, restart your phone. My wife has an iPhone and she needed to restart it to finalize the process. Make sure you change the settings to default to Public Mobile network as well. 

ReBoot the iPhone with the newly activated Public Mobile SIM card installed and you may not have too change anything. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Sukh2001 wrote:

You will need to contact your previous carrier to get your phone unlocked. Make sure to have you IME# ready.

In order to get your IME# Dial *#06# this will give you the IME#

Once the phone is unlocked you can then use a SIM from another provider. Not really sure why any provider would ever lock phones to only their network? Maybe it helped wit efficiency on the network but my best guess is they wanted to make extra money initially and deter people from leaving their network. 

If it is unlocked as you say, restart your phone. My wife has an iPhone and she needed to restart it to finalize the process. Make sure you change the settings to default to Public Mobile network as well. 

@Jb456 wrote:

If it's unlocked..connect phone to iTunes to finalize the unlock.

@Jb456 You don't have to do that any more!  A reboot will do it. BUT if you want to see if it IS unlocked run the full iPhone reset on iTunes (iPhone attached to computer by USB) and the last page of the process will say Congratulations Your iPhone is Now Unlocked. 

@Sukh2001  what model of iPhone do you have?

Run your imie here to verify if Blacklisted 

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Run you imie and and this site MAY show where the phone was purchased from and that it is locked or unlocked.

https://imei24.com/check/iphone_lock_checker/

Just because you cancelled service that does not unlock it. The only thing cancelling does is sever your relationship with the carrier. 😀 

An iPhone comes unlocked if purchased from Apple directly and if an older phone you will have to contact the original selling carrier and they have to unlock it for you free when you make the request. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Sukh2001 do a network reset and restart your phone. Welcome to PM. Stay safe. 

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings 

> General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset Network Settings.
     If prompted, enter your passcode.
  3. Tap Reset Network Settings.

If it's unlocked..connect phone to iTunes to finalize the unlock.

@Sukh2001 hi I would call to get it unlocked again because it doesn't sound like it was properly

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Sukh2001 It does not looks like your iPhone is unlocked. Find out which provider it is locked to. If you do not know, Apple might looks it up if you can provide purchase proof. Once you know, call that provider and tell them to unlock it. They should do it for free of charge. 

Sukh2001

It's already unlocked. I have cancel my service with Charter Mobile. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Sukh2001 hi yes you must get it unlocked by your previous provider also you do need a public sim 😁

Need Help? Let's chat.