cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN Setup but still no Pics in Texts

Suzita
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi 

I have the APN setup on the phone for Public Mobile following the instructions and still can not send or receive pics in text.

I have international texting and a 4g data plan

Using an ASUS Senfone 2

Any thoughts

14 REPLIES 14

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MrSnide, as mentioned, if you want MMS(picture texts), data must be turned on.

MrSnide
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@matbasm,

I do have pretty much *everything* blocked from using my cellular data... there are a few ASUS-supplied apps that seem to cheat and use it anyway, esp. if I have the wifi off. Maybe I'll leave data on just to see how much gets used when nothing is allowed to...

matbasm

@MrSnide, that's completely normal.  In order for MMS to work, data must be on.  Do you turn it off in order to save bandwidth?  With most phones, you can control which apps can use cellular data.  You might be able to configure it so that only the apps you want get access to the cellular data.

MrSnide
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Zenfone 2 as well. I have the 1 GB data plan but usually have the data turned off. If I receive an MMS, I have to remember to turn the data on first. Same if I wish to send an MMS. Smiley Frustrated

I checked my APN settings with the settings shown in a prior post and they match exactly.

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A while ago, in one phone (I think it was a kodoo samsung) I needed to specify two last weird APN settings:

MVNO type: GID 

MVNO value: 4d4f

in order to make mms work. Still  not completely  sure it was really needed or just a fluke...

wrote:

@will13am

Not sure if that's necessary.  I didn't have to set APN Type on my ancient LG-C800G and all my sms/mms attachments work fine ... in fact, I only had to enter APN sp.mb.com and it automagically filled everything else in for me ... I'm not even sure if I can manually enter autofilled fields like APN Type (and it works, so why break it, lol) ... but I don't have a ZenFone and every device has its own quirks, lol, those settings may or may not be required.

You cannot edit the APN settings on file.  You will need to create your own.  Personally, I prefer to rely on user settings over default settings which can be serendipitous.  You can take a suggestion or leave everything as is which doesn't seem to work.  What have you got to lose?  Choice is yours.  BTW, I also have a Zenfone 2 and I don't have issues with MMS.

@will13am

Not sure if that's necessary.  I didn't have to set APN Type on my ancient LG-C800G and all my sms/mms attachments work fine ... in fact, I only had to enter APN sp.mb.com and it automagically filled everything else in for me ... I'm not even sure if I can manually enter autofilled fields like APN Type (and it works, so why break it, lol) ... but I don't have a ZenFone and every device has its own quirks, lol, those settings may or may not be required.

wrote:

Public Mobile, ASUS ZenFone 2

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS Port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

(Other fields can be left blank or autofilled.)

You must restart the device before some settings take affect.

( From https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/962_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_asus_zenfone_2.php )

@Korth, please put default,supl,mms into the APN type field instead of leaving it blank.  See if it makes a difference.

koimr1

A few questions for you. 🙂

Are you new to PM so this has never worked or has this worked before and suddenly stopped?

You mentioned APN settings so I'll presume the former - make sure the settings are EXACT - it's very easy to make a "hard-to-see" mistake.

If you are using the messenging app that came with the phone try a different one from the Play Store. Textra is a good one but there's lots of others.

Public Mobile, ASUS ZenFone 2

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS Port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

(Other fields can be left blank or autofilled.)

You must restart the device before some settings take affect.

( From https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/962_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_asus_zenfone_2.php )

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Suzita

Is mms one of the listed values under APN type? Can you post a screenshot of your APN settings?

@Suzita For more specific assistance, what is make/model of your phone? Data is not required for MMS but the data connection is.

You may find a reolution here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Suzita
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes WiFi is off and data is being received and sent tried Gmail and it sent and received data

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Suzita, Is your data working?  If data works then picture texts should work.

Need Help? Let's chat.