cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A post on Facebook made me curious, 911 calls?

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just wondered, say someone's autopay fails, and they don't know it yet but need to call 911, will it still go thru ? This person was with Rogers, and they legit needed an ambulance, but even their 911 call got rerouted to Rogers billing center as their plan was suspended for whatever reason. Just got me curious how this would work here on PM? Has anyone needed this yet in that instance?

6 REPLIES 6

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986, I know for a fact having a phone with no plan, 911 will still work. My kid almost hit send on one of my old phones which I still charge up to pretend. She said she was going to call 911. And then I said huh? Before she was about to hit send, I grab the phone from her. Whew. 

Nowadays, I have gotten a bit smarter, take the SIM, and battery out. Now, they truly do have a dead phone! 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Just wondered, say someone's autopay fails, and they don't know it yet but need to call 911, will it still go thru ? This person was with Rogers, and they legit needed an ambulance, but even their 911 call got rerouted to Rogers billing center as their plan was suspended for whatever reason. Just got me curious how this would work here on PM? Has anyone needed this yet in that instance?

@Pawprints1986  Yes, 911 will still go through. Are you sure they dialed 911 and not 611? By law 911 should go through on any mobile network in Canada.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pawprints1986 With public mobile, your call will never be rerouted to pm billing center (as you cannot call them).
As long as you have cell tower signal, you can make emergency only calls.
Even so if you used up all your calling minutes, even if your phone has been blacklisted.
Feel free to do a search on pm forum for 'emergency calls only'.

Rogers is an entirely different company.

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Pawprints1986 I know people who actually used to keep an old non-activated cell phone in their car. If there was a true emergency they would still be able to call 911 without having to have a plan.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Take any phone that can connect to any network in your area, if you take the sim out you will see'emergency only'

You will not be able to make any call but 911

I did it before

If you are using wifi calling or VoIP it's whole other story

Getting billing center over instead of 911 is serious issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

I would say Rogers is up to their usual shenanigans. Just about any modern phone should be able to call 911 even without a SIM installed. It should say Emergency calls only or words to that effect.

Need Help? Let's chat.