cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

866 and 877 numbers filling my voicemail without calling

Mjørk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Pretty self explanatory in the title, but I get constant voicemails from 866 and 877 numbers that are blank. In addition, they somehow leave these blank voicemails without calling me, so I can't block the numbers. Anybody else have this issue/know why this is happening/know how to stop it?? 

33 REPLIES 33

Hi @Kruszer - try selecting Telus, or Rogers. It will eventually recommend the phone number to set your conditional forwards to, such as:

*004*3069881580#

(This is the same as all three they will give you for *61, *62, *67)

Choosing Rogers I got this #, heres how you'd set them separately. (The "15" let's you set number of rings - 5s per ring up to 30 for 6 rings)
    Dial this code: **61* 438 800 2666**15#
    Then dial this code: **62* 438 800 2666#
    Then dial this code: **67* 438 800 2666#

Any number in Canada is fine since we have Canada wide calling.

Kruszer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem, with unwanted voicemails clogging up my voicemail, sometimes several times per day, and preventing me from getting legit messages.  Sometimes the numbers they're coming from are only 9 digits long, which is baffling! 

I tried to install Youmail but Public Mobile is not one of the carriers offered.  It seems like others have managed to use Youmail with Public mobile so how did you set it up?  Does PM go under a different carrier name that would also work? 

Thanks!

@kb_mv wrote:

I used to use Mr. Number a few years ago. It would answer blocked calls and hang up right away, before my phone even rang. I haven't used it on my current phones as I seem to get very little in the way of spam calls now.

There are a bunch of apps that do that. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one that does it quickly it enough to prevent the phone from briefly ringing. When using this sort of apps, the user actually needs to remove any blocks to the phone number in the stock software as the call needs to be allowed to come through and the app allowed to disconnect the call. 

I used to use Mr. Number a few years ago. It would answer blocked calls and hang up right away, before my phone even rang. I haven't used it on my current phones as I seem to get very little in the way of spam calls now.

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541 

There is something in the call control that prevents it

If a number is blocked at system level (Public / Koodo / Telus) phone won't ring and they can't leave you voicemail

If the number is blocked on phone then it does not ring but they have option* to leave voicemail

*note in many cases they never will because robo dialers will not connect to an IVR agent since phone never rings and drops straight to voice mail. I suspect the fact many are seeing reduction in voice mails makes them think that blocking on handset prevents the voice mail which is untrue

I'll argue that Public Mobile doesn't have any system in place to prevent someone from leaving a message. Cause does not equal effect (no relationship between the two things) when it comes to blocking a number but messages not being left.

@computergeek541 

There is something in the call control that prevents it

If a number is blocked at system level (Public / Koodo / Telus) phone won't ring and they can't leave you voicemail

If the number is blocked on phone then it does not ring but they have option* to leave voicemail

*note in many cases they never will because robo dialers will not connect to an IVR agent since phone never rings and drops straight to voice mail. I suspect the fact many are seeing reduction in voice mails makes them think that blocking on handset prevents the voice mail which is untrue

@gpixel wrote:

@computergeek541 maybe I'm just lucky then ? But anything I've blocked has never left a voice mail since... 

it could be phone dependant. Im in the same scenario as you. once the number is blocked, no voicemail messages are left. I also use "screen calling" as a deterrent. except now I've been starting to receive text/MMS messages

Screenshot_20201101-191824.png

For this to be possible, the phone would have to be answering the call and hanging up or otherwise terminating it by not sending it to voicemail desposit number upon no answer. This is not the norm. There is also third party software that will do this (answer and hang up on the person). Once a call reaches your voicemail, there isn't any way for the device to disallow someone from leaving a message.  Using stock phone software, blocking a number is only suppsoed to prevent the phone from ringing. That in turn, sends the call to voicemail and anyone sent there can leave messages.

@computergeek541 maybe I'm just lucky then ? But anything I've blocked has never left a voice mail since... 

it could be phone dependant. Im in the same scenario as you. once the number is blocked, no voicemail messages are left. I also use "screen calling" as a deterrent. except now I've been starting to receive text/MMS messages

Screenshot_20201101-191824.png

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@will13am wrote:

These are just spam callers.  I get a lot from Africa where they intentionally hang up after one ring to trick people into calling back and incurring huge long distance charges.  Luckily Public Mobile is prepaid and that trick would never work.  

Curiosity may make you want to call back. But you can always  check 800Notes to see if some one has reported the number.  And once again keep your contacts up to date....if you don’t know who called...block the number. 

@LurganIeUk When I answer a call if no one is there to reply, I do not wait, I hang up immediately. If a message is left that is empty, I do not call back ever. If the call is important there will either be an immediate reply when I say hello or they will leave a message.

@will13am wrote:

These are just spam callers.  I get a lot from Africa where they intentionally hang up after one ring to trick people into calling back and incurring huge long distance charges.  Luckily Public Mobile is prepaid and that trick would never work.  

Curiosity may make you want to call back. But you can always  check 800Notes to see if some one has reported the number.  And once again keep your contacts up to date....if you don’t know who called...block the number. 

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@will13am what would they get out of doing that to you? Thrill of your bill being higher if you weren't prepaid ? I don't get it... Lol

You blocking numbers doesn't have anything to do with voicemails no longer being left. Someone leaving messages is done at the network side of things. Blocking of a phone number is done by your device. Public Mobile has no idea of which phone numbers you have blocked on your device, but even if they did, Public Mobile does not offer any type of call management services whatsoever.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am what would they get out of doing that to you? Thrill of your bill being higher if you weren't prepaid ? I don't get it... Lol

Mjørk

@darlicious my voicemail reads out the number

Oh the reading comprehension here.... Lol

Most likely a scam or a scummy bill collector calling the wrong number

Just add them to your blocked numbers on your phone

@darlicious wrote:

So if you copy the phone number and enter it on your phone can you not block it once its entered?

Eh? As @computergeek541 just mentioned in a few posts prior, blocking a number in your phone merely immediately directs them to your voicemail...  "blocked" calls invoke the "busy" conditional call forward, so you'd have to reprogram that to a dead-end (or Lenny) like this:

*67*8080000000# - Invalid USA number = fast busy or endless ring

*67*2264447726# - Lenny

The twist to the OP's issue is that the caller might be calling into one of the voicemail access numbers directly, NOT HIS PHONE NUMBER, entering their phone number into the voicemail system to leave a message directly. (Your 10-digit phone number is the mailbox number as well) The users phone is never involved in that case. If that's being abused, the only way to stop it is to shut down the Public Mobile voicemail entirely:

• set an extended absence greeting
  • disable ability for callers to leave a message
  • reprogram all 3 of your phone's conditional forwards to another service (ie YouMail, freephoneline/fongo, etc)

@Nezgar 

So if you copy the phone number and enter it on your phone can you not block it once its entered?

Edit: oops I just saw @Pawprints1986 reply...

@darlicious wrote:

If they don't show up in your call history on your phone how do you know they are 866 and 877 phone numbers?

The voicemail system can (optionally) announce the caller ID for each message. Probably even if they directly dial an access number (as we suspect). Don't worry folks, I have word OP is already signing up for YouMail. 🙂

@Mjørk 

If they don't show up in your call history on your phone how do you know they are 866 and 877 phone numbers?

@Nezgar 

Have I told you lately I love you? Lol....thank you for your amazing voicemail/calling posts i learn so much from them....

@Bullet77 wrote:

if they are not showing up on your call history you must already have them blocked? I would change your phone # . if you can change it with out to many issues. Walmart for October has free sim cards if you activate in the store. you will need to delete your account.

@Bullet77 

Your information is incorrect. Pm customers can change their phone number once every 30 days within their accounts.

It does not require any further expense, a new sim card or activation of a new account and cancelling of the current account.

If you are unsure of an answer search it in the search bar. Once you find the same answer to very similar questions that can confirm if the answer is correct. Contributing is good but if you are only pretty sure at the very least put a disclaimer in your reply. 

Something like....im not 100% sure on this so please double check before you perform any actions.

If the OP followed your advice it would have been a very costly mistake especially if they had significant rewards on their account. This is an FYI for you and anyone who may read it and misunderstand.....but keep contributing there is a lot to learn and we all make mistakes.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Might depend on device but can't you go in and manually add a number to your block list?

Doing that only sends the call to voicemail. It would not prevent someone from leaving a message. In this case, the phone isn't ringing anyway, so adding the phone number to the blocked list wouldn't do anything.

Pawprints1986

Might depend on device but can't you go in and manually add a number to your block list?

Anyone can leave voicemail for any telus / koodo / public mobile user without ringing their phone by simply dialing one of the many access numbers across Canada and entering the subscribers 10 digit number.

Here is a list of access numbers: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

If people are really abusing this, the only way would be to temporarily disable the ability to leave a message in your voicemail settings, and play an announcement for legitimate people to try you again later or text you I guess.

Steps to disable the ability to leave messages in your voicemail:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

Actually, do the above, and then create a youmail account, reprogram your conditional call forwards to forward your unanswered calls there instead. The spammer can continue to knock on your disabled PM voicemail while your legitimate unanswered calls to your cel will forward to your working youmail service. And you get your voicemails emailed to you with transcription free to boot - a makeshift visual voicemail!

freephoneline.ca also offers free voicemail to email - but without text transcription. A lesser known bonus is their voicemail will also receive faxes and email them to you if it detects fax tones. 🙂

@Mjørk wrote:

@computergeek541 But why don't they leave spam messages then? Also it's been many months and I don't think they've moved on. Do you have this issue as well? Would it make a difference if I changed my number

Changing your number might work for a while, but there's not guarantee that they won't start contacting you at the new number. These companies often mass-dial a bunch of random phone numbers.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

if they are not showing up on your call history you must already have them blocked? I would change your phone # . if you can change it with out to many issues. Walmart for October has free sim cards if you activate in the store. you will need to delete your account.

Mjørk

@benfatto they don't show up on call history, so I don't have a way to block them!

Mjørk

@LurganIeUk the numbers don't show up in my call history, so I can't block them! They just leave empty voicemails without calling. 

Gunner123

@Mjørk wrote:

@computergeek541 But why don't they leave spam messages then? Also it's been many months and I don't think they've moved on. Do you have this issue as well? Would it make a difference if I changed my number

@Mjørk if you are not attached to your number it can easily be changed in your self serve account 

1. Numbers blocked can leave voicemail. 

2. Does your phone not show voicemail is waiting?

3. The voicemails left, do the calls not show in recent calls?

benfatto

@Mjørk  Use your phone's blocker for every such call. In a month or so they will drop you from their call lists. 

Need Help? Let's chat.