cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

800MB of data used up upon activation?

ghostcoins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey everyone,

I just activated my Public Mobile SIM and account to use on my iPhone 6S. I ran one instance of Ookla's mobile speed test through their iOS app, but have otherwise done nothing with the phone. 

When I first logged into my account on the Public website, it shows that I've already used 812MB of data, despite the SIM card being in the phone for under 5 minutes. In my iOS settings, it indicates I've used 783MB over the past 7 days total. 

So... what gives? That's almost a fifth of my data for the month gone instantly.

7 REPLIES 7

The phone may have also downloaded a ton of small software updates.  You can disable background software updates in general or for specific apps.

willph
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Ludditewrote:

@ghostcoins Be sure WiFi assist is OFF, otherwise you will be using cellular data while on wifi.

OHHH I forgot about that one!

This is also key if using an Iphone.  Not sure if thats a thing on android or not.

800MB is nothing.  In fact, you're more likely to use more data during the  first few days that at other times because you're playing around with your new service, testing things out, and installing and updating apps (if you've started using a new phone).

A single instance using speedtest.net can use about 150 to 200MB  if your speed is about 100Mbps.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ghostcoins Be sure WiFi assist is OFF, otherwise you will be using cellular data while on wifi.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The speedtest.net app should show you how much data it used for the speed test. At LTE speeds that can be a butt load. As others have mentioned, also make sure you don’t have your phone setup to allow app updates over cellular. Those can also be quite hefty. 

Let us know what you find. 

willph
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ghostcoinswrote:

Hey everyone,

I just activated my Public Mobile SIM and account to use on my iPhone 6S. I ran one instance of Ookla's mobile speed test through their iOS app, but have otherwise done nothing with the phone. 

When I first logged into my account on the Public website, it shows that I've already used 812MB of data, despite the SIM card being in the phone for under 5 minutes. In my iOS settings, it indicates I've used 783MB over the past 7 days total. 

So... what gives? That's almost a fifth of my data for the month gone instantly.

That speed test will chew up more than 500mb of data.  It tests the DOWNLOAD, and then the UPLOAD.  Each counting against your usage bucket.  
Also check that your apps aren't updating while on data and only updating while on wifi.  Cause those can be an unknown data killer as well!

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@ghostcoinswrote:

Hey everyone,

That speed test. They are eating a lot of data, so if you want to do them I'd do it if you have tons of data left in the last couple of days of your cycle.

Need Help? Let's chat.