Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6GB for $40 now being offered for Koodo switch

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just got a text 6GB for $40

GOKOODO406GB

ublic Mobile here. Con: A deal this good won't last too long. Pro: 6GB for $40. That's right, an extra 2GB! We're all about giving you choice, so if you're craving more data for the same price, join Koodo by March 15. Get 6GB of data, unlimited text and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $40/month plus you may qualify for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab. And get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for . Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO406GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

475 REPLIES 475

dingdingmao
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Could anybody send me a referal link please? Thanks.

@Xevynwrote:

Even with all the credit promos Koodo is offerring I still prefer having the flexibility of how I use up my 12 GB of data over 3 months.

I also like the fact that if I were to use up all my data then there would be no additional charges until I buy a data add-on.  If I were with Koodo and went over say 700 MB that's $70 right there that they would make off of me.  This used to happen a few times with my previous providers where my bill would be $20-30 more a month because I went over a few hundred megs.

That said I definitely agree with you about the drama being annoying.  The uncertainty of what will happen with those of us who stay is the biggest unknown at the moment and is what has me worried.  But if they do end up cancelling the Fall 2016 promo plan then I would rather switch to a different provider altogether or if possible - wait until something similar to the 10 GB plans that Rogers/Bell offerred last December.

Koodo is shock free data.  You must physically agree to use data if you have reached your limit.  It won't just use more data if you have used up all of your data bucket.  I like the freedom and flexibility of the 12GB but 6GB a month is a pretty good deal.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Xevyn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@hopetindallwrote:

@MyzMcwrote:
Lot's of people switching. What is the real motivation to switch? In the end, we will all be paying more in absolute terms (most people are paying $37/30days now with prepay/1 year loyalty and many people are much less than that). 

Yes - I'm paying $40/month instead of $36 a month now.  On the other hand I'm getting $200 ($100 referall plus PM-> $100 Koodo bill credit) (less $80 unused service I'm losing on PM) - means I'm still ahead $120.  That's 30 months work of covering the extra $4/month.

Did I make a stupid decision? I don't know. 

I don't use 4GB of data per month now.  But who knows what I'll use in the future.

On the other hand - I don't like this intentional uncertainty that PM is using to nudge customers.

I realize I'm a hypocrite for resenting the nudging and yet succumbing to the nudging and migrating to Koodo.  But I found the drama of the last month annoying.

Even with all the credit promos Koodo is offerring I still prefer having the flexibility of how I use up my 12 GB of data over 3 months.

I also like the fact that if I were to use up all my data then there would be no additional charges until I buy a data add-on.  If I were with Koodo and went over say 700 MB that's $70 right there that they would make off of me.  This used to happen a few times with my previous providers where my bill would be $20-30 more a month because I went over a few hundred megs.

That said I definitely agree with you about the drama being annoying.  The uncertainty of what will happen with those of us who stay is the biggest unknown at the moment and is what has me worried.  But if they do end up cancelling the Fall 2016 promo plan then I would rather switch to a different provider altogether or if possible - wait until something similar to the 10 GB plans that Rogers/Bell offerred last December.

MBT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I am going to have to pass up because they are so intense for the March 15th date. I tentatively followed the Koodo link and filled up the cart to see the pricing and whatnot. I did not complete the purchase. I received a call from Koodo telling me to go to a store ASAP to complete the migration. That's a wee bit much pressuring and on such a short time-frame. I won't be bullied. I've been under the Telus umbrella for 10 years. I am always staying loosely attached (aka prepaid.) The ToS and commitment involved in going for the monthly ball and chain worry me especially now they are really gunning for people to join. I am paid till May 13th, so I have time to look elsewhere if they start trying to sink the brand.

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@MyzMcwrote:
Lot's of people switching. What is the real motivation to switch? In the end, we will all be paying more in absolute terms (most people are paying $37/30days now with prepay/1 year loyalty and many people are much less than that). 

Yes - I'm paying $40/month instead of $36 a month now.  On the other hand I'm getting $200 ($100 referall plus PM-> $100 Koodo bill credit) (less $80 unused service I'm losing on PM) - means I'm still ahead $120.  That's 30 months work of covering the extra $4/month.

Did I make a stupid decision? I don't know. 

I don't use 4GB of data per month now.  But who knows what I'll use in the future.

On the other hand - I don't like this intentional uncertainty that PM is using to nudge customers.

I realize I'm a hypocrite for resenting the nudging and yet succumbing to the nudging and migrating to Koodo.  But I found the drama of the last month annoying.

@MyzMcwrote:

@ShawnC13You say they will change price or service.  BUT WHY?  They are trying to get us to a more expensive brand for the same price.  Maybe Koodo will raise their prices (though I don't think they are known to do that).  No one gave a good reason why PM should go up in price while a more expensive brand should be cheaper.

Just my thoughts on WHY.  Telus has decided that PM is stuck in the middle between 2nd and 3rd teir providers with their plans.  Rogers and Bell didn't like the Fall promo and Telus probably didn't expect their two teirs of service lsoing as many people it did.  Telus is now going to focus on PM being a true 3rd teir provider and match it in plans and service provided and create a "gap" between 2nd and 3rd teirs that they couldn't with how PM was running.  Again just my thoughts on this but the writing is on the wall that the fall promo type package won't be the same for very long

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MyzMc they are trying to make public a low tier entry brand. Probably just 3g data. They want to sort the skittles by flavour.  

Also for shareholders the koodo plans are more attractive than prepaid.

But that's just my thoughts.

MyzMc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ShawnC13You say they will change price or service.  BUT WHY?  They are trying to get us to a more expensive brand for the same price.  Maybe Koodo will raise their prices (though I don't think they are known to do that).  No one gave a good reason why PM should go up in price while a more expensive brand should be cheaper.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MyzMcwrote:
First, I think the $100 referral credit is only for those activating online? And you need to order sim and wait awhile to get it? I assume most people would do it in person though. Telus is not stupid, they aren't giving you more for nothing. Koodo costs them more (they have actual locations, pay more staff, pay rent). In the end, you will pay more. Perhaps their lawyers said that they are screwed and truly can never raise prices due to the previous advertisement (no surprises) and they are trying to get as many people off that promotion so that it's not a big deal.

Well that's certainly arguable but I believe legally they are allowed to change their terms with 30 days notice (as they tried to do). In this case they changed the term "no surprises" to "surprise!" and our recourse is go elsewhere or suck it up.

The only thing that prevented them from going through with it was the huge outcry that I guess they didn't expect. At that point they probably felt the PR hit would be worse than continuing and now you see the onslaught of Koodo promotions.

@Hmmwrote:

@MyzMcwrote:
First, I think the $100 referral credit is only for those activating online? 

No. You have to pre-register/enroll online with the referral you are sent. Then you get your SIM from your local Koodo dealer. Activate, port your number. Then go online and complete the rest of the process. Ensure you use the same email address you used that you were sent with your referral. 

You do have to do it online for the $100 once you start the process you can't go to a store and purchase a sim card.

@MyzMc, I don't think that the price here will remain (or service the same).  I am sure the ToS that you agreed to when you signed up would override a "promise".  It will be interesting to see what happens after the 1 year mark of the Freedom targeted promo of the 12gb for $120.  I would think that after a year has passed that mark they will post a notice of a rate increase again.  When/if they do I can't see thembacking down.  CCTS complaints or not you have physically accepted a ToS that states they can raise prices with 30 days notice.  See how far the promise goes

mimmo

@Hmm the 100$ referal is only applied if account is activated online not in store.  In store you get 25$

Hmm

@MyzMcwrote:
First, I think the $100 referral credit is only for those activating online? 

No. You have to pre-register/enroll online with the referral you are sent. Then you get your SIM from your local Koodo dealer. Activate, port your number. Then go online and complete the rest of the process. Ensure you use the same email address you used that you were sent with your referral. 

MyzMc
First, I think the $100 referral credit is only for those activating online? And you need to order sim and wait awhile to get it? I assume most people would do it in person though. Telus is not stupid, they aren't giving you more for nothing. Koodo costs them more (they have actual locations, pay more staff, pay rent). In the end, you will pay more. Perhaps their lawyers said that they are screwed and truly can never raise prices due to the previous advertisement (no surprises) and they are trying to get as many people off that promotion so that it's not a big deal.

Hmm

@MyzMcwrote:
Lot's of people switching. What is the real motivation to switch? In the end, we will all be paying more in absolute terms (most people are paying $37/30days now with prepay/1 year loyalty and many people are much less than that). Just to get Canada-wide calling (this is not worth anything with free VOIP free services) and 2 GB extra of data. But Telus is not stupid, they know very few people are even using up their 4GB/month. So you will pay more and you won't use any more of their services. An additional benefit is you have a real location to get help but they know we are already not the types of customers that require a lot of help. My guess is they will get like 25000+ customers over, paying an average of $5/month more and use negligible amount of additional services. Don't get me wrong, I would switch in a hearbeat if PM came out and said they are phasing out LTE speeds, removing rewards or whatever.

Don't be complaining when PM either is sold or ceases to exist. There's more to it than you mention. A lot of people would use more data if they could. Data intensive apps are very common now. Wifi hotspots are both not secure and slow. 

Additionally, you get incoming internation text messaging and your phone works even when outside Canada. I understand what you're saying though about long distance in Canada. Reviews and experiences are mixed at best of most free VOIP services like Fongo and TextNow.

Sure, we are losing out on the loyalty rewards, but something big is coming down the pipe. It's also interesting to note that Wind (Freedom Mobile) is remaining silent, especially regarding  their infrastructure "upgrade" where they are supposedly supporting backward compatibilty to LTE on slightly older devices eg. iPhone 7.

@MyzMcwrote:
Lot's of people switching. What is the real motivation to switch? In the end, we will all be paying more in absolute terms (most people are paying $37/30days now with prepay/1 year loyalty and many people are much less than that). Just to get Canada-wide calling (this is not worth anything with free VOIP free services) and 2 GB extra of data. But Telus is not stupid, they know very few people are even using up their 4GB/month. So you will pay more and you won't use any more of their services. An additional benefit is you have a real location to get help but they know we are already not the types of customers that require a lot of help. My guess is they will get like 25000+ customers over, paying an average of $5/month more and use negligible amount of additional services. Don't get me wrong, I would switch in a hearbeat if PM came out and said they are phasing out LTE speeds, removing rewards or whatever.

For people that do not participate much and don't receive community rewards there is a HUGE benefit to grabbing this plan.  If you were able to get in on the $100 referrals you would have close to 2 years worth of loyalty and autopay rewards in those amounts.  Say 8 months left this year before you reach year 2 loyalty 8*3 (loyalty and auto Pay) $24.  12*4=48 6(months)*5(3 years loyalty and autopay) $30.  SO that is  24+48+30=102.  So 26 months in just one $100 referral.  Can you tell me that PM will have this pirce for 26 more months?  I don't think it will.  For those that got more referrals it just goes even further.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MyzMcwrote:

The general thinking is that the current 2016 Promo plan is very likely going to change for the worse in the near future and there's no guarantee that the Koodo incentives will still be there at that time.

It's a gamble for sure. Personally I'm taking what I think is the more stable option; referral and promo bonus aside I'm ok with paying a few extra bucks for that alone.

mimmo

@MyzMc many people are worried that pm eventually will increase the fall promo plan prices. The koodo offer is very enticing as it has $100 referal bonus which covers pm's rewards and it has extra data which many people want.

I transferd my wife it was a hard decision but in the end the proper one.

@hopetindallwrote:

As well - after porting, noticed the hardware upgrade offers.  Ordered a Galaxy S8 on medium tab (which GOKOODO406GB plan allows).  They throw in an EXTRA $50 bill credit for existing Koodo users ordering the phone.

So - it's actually better to activate and then order the hard after activation.

Congrats, and this is thequestion I just asked a couple of hours ago and will be doing the same thing f or my wife

MyzMc

mimmo

@hopetindall congrats on the successful migration.

hopetindall

ordered SIM on Tuesday

arrived today

completed activation and ported PM number over.

Received email confirmation of my $100 referall bonus already (to be posted in 4-8 weeks).

Still waiting for my $100 PM bill credit (coming on first bill I'm assuming)

As well - after porting, noticed the hardware upgrade offers.  Ordered a Galaxy S8 on medium tab (which GOKOODO406GB plan allows).  They throw in an EXTRA $50 bill credit for existing Koodo users ordering the phone.

So - it's actually better to activate and then order the hard after activation.

mimmo

I still show 100. @Ink I just sent you a message. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Inkwrote:

So what's the best way to use the referral code and get the 6gb/$40 promo? Do I need to claim a referral through a link, then create an account, then go get a sim card? SOrry I'm lost.

@Ink first register the referral online, then activated the Promo, now Referral are $25 

Ink
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So what's the best way to use the referral code and get the 6gb/$40 promo and the $100  switching credit? Do I need to claim a referral through a link, then create an account, then go get a sim card? SOrry I'm lost.

cricketfan

$10 bill credit every month for 12 months. How do one get a SPC card? from universities and colleges? 

mimmo

@Luddite I think it is for multiple bills 8-12 can't remember the exact number

@Luddite wrote:SPC card?

It's a student saver card and it looks like koodo is offering 10$ off you bill using a code linked to the card.

Thanks @mimmo. So basically free SIM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo

@Ludditewrote:

@MEU_21 SPC card?

It's a student saver card and it looks like koodo is offering 10$ off you bill using a code linked to the card.

@MEU_21 SPC card?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.