Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6GB for $40 now being offered for Koodo switch

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just got a text 6GB for $40

GOKOODO406GB

ublic Mobile here. Con: A deal this good won't last too long. Pro: 6GB for $40. That's right, an extra 2GB! We're all about giving you choice, so if you're craving more data for the same price, join Koodo by March 15. Get 6GB of data, unlimited text and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $40/month plus you may qualify for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab. And get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for . Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO406GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

475 REPLIES 475

Xevyn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For those who have switched - how do you find the LTE service so far?

I was just reading in another forum that apparently Koodo has less LTE bands than PM.  Here's what the user stated:

"Public Mobile has Band2-1900Mhz, Band7-2600Mhz LTE frequencies, but Koodo doesn't. This might not be a problem for most people who have a North America version cell phone. But for my global version of Samsung Note 4, that means I'll be "downgrading" from 3 LTE bands (Band4-AWS, Band2-1900Mhz, Band7-2600Mhz) to only 1 LTE band (Band4-AWS) if I switch to Koodo."

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@s2scottywrote:

In Koodo's terms for the U.S. roaming at $7/day there are two key points,

1. It hits ONLY on days that the phone is actually used. Now, for most of us, 10 days in the U.S. would be 10 days on our phones. But, in the Koodo model, you do have the luxury of turning OFF, taking a timeout, and not burning the $7 day-by-day fee for those OFF days. PM burns the its 10 days, period. No timeouts.
  2. Koodo CAPS the maximum day-by-charges, for both the US and international roaming, at CAD$100, which means AFTER 14 days ($100/$7=14.2 days) you're no longer being additionally charged. You are still subject to your account's base minutes and GBs.

Dunno if that helps or makes the brain hurt more trying to decide.

/S

@s2scotty small caveat to point #2:  it's not capped per trip, it's capped per billing cycle.  So, if you went on a 20 day trip and left 10 days before your billing cycle ended, you'd get charged the $100 cap on your current billing cycle that ends half way through your trip and $100 cap on your next billing cycle that starts half way through your trip.  Granted, this is an extreme example, but in that case the 20 day trip would cost you $200 if you used it every day.  Something to be aware of.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@shadowbankerwrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@shadowbanker there are two offers out there.  One is for people currently on the $120 90 day plan with province wide calling, global texting, and 12GB full speed data:  they can get a $40/month plan at Koodo that includes 6GB full speed data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, and global texting.  The second is for people currently on the $120 or 135 90 day plans with unlimited province-wide ($120) or canada-wide ($135) talk, globla text, and 6GB data:  they can get a $45/month plan at Koodo that includes 4GB full speed data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, and global texting.

Thank you! I have the $135 90 days plan with 12 gigs LTE. So out of the 6 gigs only 4 is LTE speed? The other 2 is slower? And it's $45/month since I'm on the $135 plan? In that case not really worth the hassle.

Sorry for the confusion.  The $45 Koodo plan includes 4GB data while the $40 plan includes 6GB.  Period.  You can ignore the speed part.  That was more in comparision to how PM has some plans at LTE speed and some at throttled "3G"-like speeds.  No throtttling at Koodo.

I'm not sure if your current plan is currently on the list to be honest.  But you may get a text at some point with an offer specific to your plan if Telus keeps trying to move people out plan by plan as they have been recently.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In Koodo's terms for the U.S. roaming at $7/day there are two key points,

1. It hits ONLY on days that the phone is actually used. Now, for most of us, 10 days in the U.S. would be 10 days on our phones. But, in the Koodo model, you do have the luxury of turning OFF, taking a timeout, and not burning the $7 day-by-day fee for those OFF days. PM burns the its 10 days, period. No timeouts.
  2. Koodo CAPS the maximum day-by-charges, for both the US and international roaming, at CAD$100, which means AFTER 14 days ($100/$7=14.2 days) you're no longer being additionally charged. You are still subject to your account's base minutes and GBs.

Dunno if that helps or makes the brain hurt more trying to decide.

/S

shadowbanker

BTW I haven't actually paid $135, it's been like $122 because of the community rewards. So technically I'm at $41 a month for unlimited province talk and 4 gigs LTE. Decisions, decisions!

Foxjig1

Yes thats correct, depending on usage style PM is good for you to keep going without data, if data is something you cant live with koodo is a good choice albiet you are okay with paying ALOT more than fixed cost PM option.

shadowbanker

@srlawrenwrote:

@shadowbanker there are two offers out there.  One is for people currently on the $120 90 day plan with province wide calling, global texting, and 12GB full speed data:  they can get a $40/month plan at Koodo that includes 6GB full speed data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, and global texting.  The second is for people currently on the $120 or 135 90 day plans with unlimited province-wide ($120) or canada-wide ($135) talk, globla text, and 6GB data:  they can get a $45/month plan at Koodo that includes 4GB full speed data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, and global texting.

Thank you! I have the $135 90 days plan with 12 gigs LTE. So out of the 6 gigs only 4 is LTE speed? The other 2 is slower? And it's $45/month since I'm on the $135 plan? In that case not really worth the hassle.

srlawren

shadowbanker

Is this offer open for everyone or is it a targeted campaign? I never received an email offering me to switch, can I still try?

When I look at the latest "offers" of PM they are not competitive at all! I think there's a concerted effort on the part of Telus to make PM just a cheap talk brand while moving customers who use more data to Koodo where they can potentially make more off of them.

I personally like PM but I have no loyalty. As long as I'm not on contract I don't have any brand loyalty. I'd prefer to stay with a Telus carrier since my reception is vastly superior to what I had with Rogers.

srlawren

@Foxjig1wrote:

I am not sure about others but the fruit is in the pudding, check out romaing packages from PM and Koodo....if you travel PM is way cheaper than Koodo. With koodo at $7/ day and PM at $8/ 10 days for e.g. makes a big hole in pocket being with koodo.

@Foxjig1 it's only $8/10 days if you only want talk or only text.  The Koodo EasyRoam gives you access to all your regular services, which for most people will be talk, text, and your data.  The cheapest equivalent at PM is the $20 10 day US Roaming talk,text,250MB data bundle, which is more expensive for anyone that does frequent day trips or weekends and almost the same for a long weekend.  

sleddin111
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

May I have a referral, thanks.

Sled

lebanesejets

You PM's are disabled; Ill send you a link. 

torontokris

@Hen555wrote:

I am on $40/5GB plan do I call koodo customer service or my koodo store to get the $40/6GB?

What should I say? Thanks

Yes call in and ask... others are saying its available online now as well to swtich (customer service prob got overloaded).

If front line doesnt allow you ask for supervisor or loyalty. Others have moved up from previous offers.

sleddin111

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Foxjig1wrote:

I make longer trips and would prefer PM over koodo as it goes off the roofs with roaming charges (not considering data plans).

That's fair. Even with Easy Roam a ten-day US trip will be $70! In that case PM beats it easily especially if the data alloted is enough (and even adding 1GB won't come near that $70).

And if you don't use data while roaming then PM is the definite winner.

Foxjig1

I make longer trips and would prefer PM over koodo as it goes off the roofs with roaming charges (not considering data plans).

koimr1

@Foxjig1wrote:

I am not sure about others but the fruit is in the pudding, check out romaing packages from PM and Koodo....if you travel PM is way cheaper than Koodo. With koodo at $7/ day and PM at $8/ 10 days for e.g. makes a big hole in pocket being with koodo.

I don't think any Canadian carrier has particularly good US roaming rates with the exception of Freedom (where the roaming experience is better than the non-roaming experience).

For a weekend (let's say two days) US trip on PM it's $20 if you want talk/text/250MB data. On Koodo and their Easy Roam that would be $14 ($7 x 2) and you basically just continue your normal plan. In that situation I think I prefer Koodo.

For a longer US trip PM starts to shine except if that 250MB is not enough and you need to add more then it becomes debatable.

Koodo does have roaming in more than the US so that's a plus over PM but it's $10/day for those countries. I'd probably go for a local or travel SIM over that though.

koimr1

@Hen555wrote:

I am on $40/5GB plan do I call koodo customer service or my koodo store to get the $40/6GB?

Call customer service - tell them you recently came from PM and have the 5GB plan but found out that there's now a 6GB plan - are you able to switch me to this?

If outright refused, wait a bit and call again. It seems to be at the discretion of who you end up talking to. 🙂

Foxjig1

Hen555
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wonder_why

@mikeg yes unlimited any timeScreenshot_20180306-154828.png

mikeg

When I add the plan to the Koodo cart it says 

Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes

Hopefully anytime minutes means anytime, not 5pm-8am...

Haven't pulled the plug yet, but thinking hard about it.

torontokris

@Foxjig1wrote:

I don't like to switch, word Koodo yukk 😪

I think the word Koodo has more meaning than Public Mobile.

Koodo = Ancient Greek word "κῦδος" (the ascendant to the English word "kudos"), meaning"praise, renown, glory" and more recently "acclaim for something well done"

Public Mobile is not owned by the public, they are owned by Telus. 

lebanesejets

Any need a referral? Pm me. 

Wonder_why

@Foxjig1wrote:

@Foxjig1 absolutely your choice, as long you are happy with PM 👍

Foxjig1

Wonder_why

@saje_wardwrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

I don't have to pay for Sim card 😄😃👍👊

How?

@saje_ward Free SIM offer code is PM-SIM-0. 

saje_ward
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wonder_whywrote:

I don't have to pay for Sim card 😄😃👍👊

How?

Wonder_why

@ericdvan call Koodo, you should able to get it, good luck dude

Need Help? Let's chat.