cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

611 100 spam

shawmail60-bill
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

public keeps sending me annoying texts and msgs from 611 and 100. any idea on how to stop the annoying Robot Mad at public from sending unnecessary messages?

why does public think its acceptable to harass members and customers?

is that the price you pay for getting a cheap service - annoying automated messages at all times of the day?

i say Robot Mad you public! keep it up and ill cancel.

[language edit ...... Luddite]

29 REPLIES 29

Hi @notetokristin PM gave out Holiday Bonus last year via text and required to reply YES to get it.  You would miss it if they do it the same in the future.  Also, when payment really missed,  they will send you text reminders and those texts are important 

@notetokristin wrote:

Oh!  My mistake.  I've blocked it.  YAY!!!!

The problem with completely blocking 611 is that now you will never be alerted to any problems with your account such as a payment failure either - which also come from 611 I believe.

I like @Anonymous 's suggestion of adding a contact for 611, so that you can specifically set alerts for that contact to none.

Otherwise, you could set your phone to a mode at night that will ring with a phone call only, and not for any text message...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@notetokristin : Perhaps set up a contact for 611 and then set its notifications to silent.

Edit: Then I saw the above. nvm

notetokristin

Oh!  My mistake.  I've blocked it.  YAY!!!!

notetokristin

I am with you 100%.  I need to keep my phone on all night as I have a loved one who needs to reach me in emergencies.  Always at MIDNIGHT, Public Mobile sends me a happy text telling me rewards have been applied to my account.   They send me a total of five texts a month and sending them "STOP" or "Unsubscribe" doesn't help.   I get two texts when they receive a payment for some reason.  I don't know if we can block 611 however.  I'm having no luck.

edited by computergeek541: removed inappropriate comment/language as per terms of service  

flager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you... most newer android and iOS phones... have a drop down menu in messaging that allows you to go into messaging settings where you can block messages. 

???

Both Android and IOS  have this functionality

What type of phone are you using that does not let you block txt?

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

Usually it exists but not always. Some phones only have options to block phone calls but not text messages. It differs based on each device's software.

If your software won't let you do basic things properly then just download and install better (free) software, lol, junk software on your phone is not PM's fault. 

@Korth wrote:

The option always exists on every device. 

Click the offending msg and choose "Block this number/sender".

Click the offending msg again and choose "Delete this message".

Problem solved. In less time than it takes to complain or argue about it. 

Usually it exists but not always. Some phones only have options to block phone calls but not text messages. It differs based on each device's software.

The option always exists on every device. 

Click the offending msg and choose "Block this number/sender".

Click the offending msg again and choose "Delete this message".

Problem solved. In less time than it takes to complain or argue about it. 

@Nezgar wrote:

@flager wrote:

I believe there is section in your account that allows you to opt out from receiving these messages. These 611 & 100 messages are not spam... they are notification messages. All prepaid service providers send them... have you tried texting back STOP.

I have not seen such an option in the self-serve portal. If it exists, I would appreciate if you can take a look and note where you saw it and share.

There's no option for this. Messages from 611 and 100 and some of the others (including CCTS remdinders) cannot be opted out of.

Only the marketing text messages can be unsubcribed from. Those are the ones that makes offers to switch to Koodo or about swtiching to a different Public Mobile plan using a promo code.  The opt-out for these isn't in the self serve account. These are opted out by replying to the text message.

@flager wrote:

I believe there is section in your account that allows you to opt out from receiving these messages. These 611 & 100 messages are not spam... they are notification messages. All prepaid service providers send them... have you tried texting back STOP.

I have not seen such an option in the self-serve portal. If it exists, I would appreciate if you can take a look and note where you saw it and share.

flager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@shawmail60-bill 

Um opt out....?

maxresdefault

It's always impossible to please everyone, lol, especially with first world problems.

@Korth wrote:

Some of the msgs do say you can "unsubscribe" ... I haven't tried it myself but probably exactly what it says.

You can block all notifications from Public Mobile by manually blocking each number they use - I've seen msgs from 100, 611, 5129, 5130, 5131 - but if you do this then don't complain that you never receive notifications about your payment reminders, your Data usage, free gifts and special promos, etc. 

The messages from 611 and 100 cannot be unsubscribed from. They are considered important by Public Mobile - although I don't.  I think that that the complaint here is partially how customers are given no choice. It's just easier for customers to block the messsages on their end.

@computergeek541 wrote:

It's my understanding that Public Mobile will not allow a customer to opt out of account text messages such as payment reminders, renewal notifcations, referrals added, and rewards applied messages. 

Has this changed?

Customers do have the option of blocking such text messages using software on their phones.

Some of the msgs do say you can "unsubscribe" ... I haven't tried it myself but probably exactly what it says.

You can block all notifications from Public Mobile by manually blocking each number they use - I've seen msgs from 100, 611, 5129, 5130, 5131 - but if you do this then don't complain that you never receive notifications about your payment reminders, your Data usage, free gifts and special promos, etc. 

And I think you'll find every carrier spams out notifications about whatever they consider important. From what I've seen (on other people's phones), Public Mobile is far less spammy and intrusive than Virgin, Rogers, or Freedom. 

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hi @shawmail60-bill,

Please reach out to the Moderators by creating a private ticket using our virtual assistant.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help

Have a great day,

Camelia_M

It's my understanding that Public Mobile will not allow a customer to opt out of account text messages such as payment reminders, renewal notifcations, referrals added, and rewards applied messages. 

Has this changed?

Customers do have the option of blocking such text messages using software on their phones.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nezgar wrote:

I don't get texts notifying my that a friend has used my referal code, that would be cool - how do I sign up for that? 🙂

As it stands the two referals I've done I receive no notification, no SMS or email. Only indication i know of right now is to manually check in the self serve portal under Plan and Add-Ons>Rewards>expanding Refer-a-Friend Reward...

EDIT: *facepalm*. Nevermind. I used my wifes referal code, so she got the text, not me. Mystery solved. Smiley Tongue

Yes I agree that would be nice to see.  Then you can know to expect the credit next renewal, thank your friend and offer assistance etc. But.....it is unlikely the text will tell you who your friend is! 

88cranston

@shawmail60-bill wrote:

public keeps sending me annoying texts and msgs from 611 and 100. any idea on how to stop the annoying Robot Mad at public from sending unnecessary messages?

is that the price you pay for getting a cheap service - annoying automated messages at all times of the day?

I don’t know how you can call information texts as being Spam!!!!

The other day I received two texts within minutes letting me know I needed to have funds available for my renewal. Both texts were same and only one was necessary but I didn’t mind because I did not hear the first one.  

And once again can you send some pics of your SPAM texts?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @shawmail60-bill,

Please reach out to the Moderators by creating a private ticket using our virtual assistant.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help

Have a great day,

Camelia_M

I don't get texts notifying my that a friend has used my referal code, that would be cool - how do I sign up for that? 🙂

As it stands the two referals I've done I receive no notification, no SMS or email. Only indication i know of right now is to manually check in the self serve portal under Plan and Add-Ons>Rewards>expanding Refer-a-Friend Reward...

EDIT: *facepalm*. Nevermind. I used my wifes referal code, so she got the text, not me. Mystery solved. Smiley Tongue

hogas123

The messages are mostly updates to your account and reminders around payment time, however, if you no longer wish to recieve them you may simply block the numbers on your phone. Other service providers send similar messages to their customers as they are meant as a curtosy to keep you up to date.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @shawmail60-bill 

I just checked just messages, i get 2 per cycle from 611, the first one lets me know that renewal is coming, the second one lets me know that mg plan renewed. 

100 sends me an sms every time i refer a friend and also when my rawards have been applied to my account ( which is once per cycle)

5129 informs every second month or so informs me how to file a complaint against public mobile

So that's 3 messages perb cycle, 6 times per year ccts info and if I'm lucky to make a referral i get informed instantly. It wouldn't qualify as spam in muy books.

There is also roaming reminder that gets triggered when you cross the border, i just never take it so i can't really say much about it.

Again you have an option of blocking them, though i find it useful as i pay mys bill manually ( though i'm registered for autopay To collect rewards) and also i like to know that payment went through and there was no problem with the renewal

Again if you don't find them useful you have an option of blocking them

88cranston

@shawmail60-bill wrote:

Can you show us some screen shots of your SPAM texts please?

@shawmail60-bill  If you're using an Android phone, the most recent versions of Android Messages allow you to make it so that the messages from a preset numbers don't make your phone show a notification on your phone. Open up this Messages app and then long press on the message thread.  Tap on the "do not enter"/block symbol. This will make it so that the messages are still on your phone but they will be automatically hidden when you receive them.

DL888

Don't know why you are getting text from PM, the only text I ever received are when my plan is about to expire. Could be spam from another source phishing as 611.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@shawmail60-bill wrote:

public keeps sending me annoying texts and msgs from 611 and 100. any idea on how to stop the annoying khunts at public from sending unnecessary messages?

i say ======= you public! keep it up and ill cancel.

Try blocking them with your phone settings. Otherwise, enjoy the service wherever you go.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

First off there is no need for the language you used here.  What repetitive messages are you getting did you try and block the number?  I get no spam texts from PM at all so I don't know what messages you are talking about and I have been here for three years.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.