cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G is working but can't call out and receive calls

hoodzhj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a new phone required a Nano SIM card. So I activated a new SIM card for this phone. Now the 4G data is working, but I can't call out and receive call via this phone. How to solve this problem? I have rebooted for several times, still not working.

33 REPLIES 33

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MFarsi you need 3G coverage to make calls.  Does your phone have 850MHz + 1900MHz 3G UMTS (Bands 2 & 5) support?  I hope so.

Regarding your last question about apps on the SD card, google that question but for your phone model.  Your carrier has nothing to do with whether or not you can install apps on your SD card, it's up to your phone manufacturer.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@MFarsi wrote:

Have 4G SIM, IN the 4G Coverage, there is 4G Signi on the hand set.

1_can not make call / resive call.

2_What do l need to use VOLTE.

3_Is it possible to employment any aplication on the SD Card and Run it from there?

Vocie calls are only done on the 3g network. There is not such thing as voice over LTE at Public Mobile.

MFarsi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have 4G SIM, IN the 4G Coverage, there is 4G Signi on the hand set.

1_can not make call / resive call.

2_What do l need to use VOLTE.

3_Is it possible to employment any aplication on the SD Card and Run it from there?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mary_M or @Shazia_K, could you please connect with @Allanwc?  It sounds like he may have a failed/hung port request.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Allanwc

Afternoon

I'm very happy with the service and decided to port over my old phone number from Rogers to public mobile. I followed the instructions and it said it was successfully done till I ask somebody to call me back but it says it's out of service but when I call or text my number shows up? I received a text from Public Mobile saying this "  We're experiencing difficulties processing your request to move to Public Mobile. Please go to PublicMobile.ca, click Contact us and complete the SIM & Activation online form. Thanks. Confused and need help

Martin
Legend
Legend
DK,

I agree that the issue won't be the last that we see of it in this forum.

Asking rhetorically, what is the point of purchasing a phone at an attractive price if it is restricted to one major network, and, on any other network, it becomes a paperweight?

ASK HERE FIRST!

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Agreed, but I think the price of a lot of these phones are the driving factor. Buyers look at the specs and it looks like it will work. Of course knowing that the call/text feature is restricted to 2g only would have been great to know for the OP as well. At least it can be used on Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Zoomer for now.

Not the last this forum will see of that issue either.

Martin
Legend
Legend

DK,

Regarding your 12:25 am EDT post, that's why potential customers should ask first in this community, and then buy.

Martin
Legend
Legend
DK,

You're welcome.

DK
Thanks for the help @Martin & @makkahn28!

I'm thinking that dual sim phones are going to always cause issues for PM clients as people just think they will work in canada.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Further to the above posting with regard to the 2013 Moto G, I failed to mention that the phones are classified as refurbished. In many cases, a so-called refurbished phone was taken out of its box while the customer was in the store. The box was torn in the process of removing the phone, making the box unappealing to future customers. That phone would then be returned to Telus, causing it to be called refurbished.

In any event, Telus online has a return policy and warranty that comes with every refurbished phone. Just google "Telus refurbished smartphones" (without quotation marks).

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

I'm sorry to learn of that.

You now have one of two choices. Either return to the Rogers network, or stay with PM after buying a new phone. I hope that you will choose the latter option.

If you want a personal recommendation, and if you wish to save money, buy a 2013 Moto G from Telus online. It is exactly $100 plus tax. Do not buy their SIM card as PM will provide you with a free one.

I have 2 Moto G's, which I purchased brand -new, and they have worked flawlessly, and are a joy to use.

Other sources of compatible cell phones are Staples, Best Buy, Walmart, Costco, the Google online store, the Nexus online store, and the Microsoft Online Store.

You require a UMTS/HSPA compatible phone. The 3G frequencies are 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. The 4G LTE frequencies are 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz. The 4G LTE-A frequency is 700 MHz, which most phones cannot use, at present, as the frequency has yet to be deployed. Additionally, most phones are not configured to use that frequency considering how new it is to the Canadian market.

DK
So yes your phone will not work for call/text on PM as they are not setup for 2G.

Sorry for the news.

Just out of curiosity if you disable your data does the call/text function work then?

hoodzhj

Tried both trays, still not working. Just asked Huawei technical service, @Martinis right, they said phone call funciton is under 2G

DK
Well he could be . As has said try the other sim tray and see what the results are as it looks like one tray is 2g/gsm only. I have read that dual sim phones revert back to 2g for calls but can't say with 100% certainty where?

@hoodzhj let us know how you make out with the other tray please.

DK
Yes regarding previous post with fido/Rogers that is because they still have a 2g network. Telus doesn't have the old 2g/gsm network and neither will Fido/Rogers for much longer.

hoodzhj

Yes, it is dual SIM. 

This phone works on Fido SIM card, but the phone call function is not available on PM SIM card. Is that possible? 

Martin
Legend
Legend
DK,

It is, and it is quite possible that the OP is using the wrong tray.

DK
Is this a dual sim phone?

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Unlike Rogers, PM has no 2G network. It's quite possible that your phone is attempting to function on 2G only for calls. If that is the case and if your battery is removable, remove it and your SIM for a minute or two while your phone's power is off. Reinsert both, making sure that each is firmly in place and reboot your phone.

hoodzhj

I set it to 4G/3G/2G. No options for disable 2G.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Considering that your phone can work on 2G, 3G and 4G, are you certain that it is set to 3G and 4G, but not to 2G?

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

From reading the previous posts, it seems that the problem is with your phone.

Before purchasing a new phone, order a new SIM card. Check this site's home page in order to locate the link that says Order a SIM Card. In the interim, if you wish, do a hard factory reset, which will delete EVERYTHING on your phone, including any incompatibilities which may be causing the problem. Please backup everything that is important to you, such as phone contacts, videos, photos, documents, etc. because everything will be deleted, that was placed on the phone, from the day that it was purchased brand new.

Good luck!

hoodzhj

Just tested sending text under 3G and 4G, both are OK. If I disable 3G and 4G, then it shows only emergence call is available.

Also tried a Fido SIM card, it is OK to call out and in.

My phone is Huawei P8. 

IF It can only do one or the other, then LTE must be Disabled b4 using Cellular Function, and LTE enabled when you wish Faster speeds.

Now, if Handset can only do 4G LTE and 3G Frequency, 850/1900 3G, is not supported, then you may need to consider purchasing a New or used handset that's compatable with both

Either that, Or His handset can't do Multitasking, 4G LTE Data and 3G Talk + Txt

DK
@makkahn28, I got what you said but I am thinking his phone doesn't have proper 3G bands.

@DK, I pretty much mentioned that. I learned pretty quick from observations

DK
What phone is it? Make and Model? You might be ok for LTE bands for data but not 3G for calls! Can you send/receive texts?

hoodzhj

Yes, I just changed the SIM card under the same account. Now my account shows that the plan is Canada-wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data. I checked the IMEI of my phone on the web page, The system can't find my phone model. But I assume, if 4G is working, then this phone should be compatible to Public Mobile network too.

Need Help? Let's chat.