cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

@FLYMOM, if you're a legacy customer, your original plan(s) have been increased previously, and still, have access to voice support via dialling 611.  Note, this is only if you're still on a legacy plan (prior to Jan 2015) and have not signed up or changed plans after Jan 2015.  The notices for these previous increases have been announced in the past in the Announcements board and were sent to legacy customers via SMS messages.

If you are a legacy user, please call the 611 services, and speak with a rep to change to the in-market plans.  You will be asked to verify you understand that you'll be losing telephone support via 611 voice services and switching to the Community Forum support services that the various users here are using.

If you are not a legacy user, then you have the ability to change your plan via self-serve at any time.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@FLYMOM

Hi..the unlimited talk/text plan is 25$...is it possible when you picked your plan you used the build your plan feature?? Doing it that way ends up being 35$..

smp99

@FLYMOM Well, lots of information missing here. What plan are you on? Sounds like you have been with Public Mobile for a while so you should know that if a new plan comes along at a cheaper price you do not automatically get that new plan, you have to manually switch to it.

So, all you have to do is login to your accunt and change plans to the one that is listed. 

FLYMOM

i dont understand why im paying 32$ plus tax for a plan with no data just unlimited texr and talk , when clearly base on your web site i should have this plan at 20$ months , i started with this public mobile a 20$ months , i have less and less service and the price keeps going up , i want to pay the price you a advertising at and not a penny more , i will take this issue to better business bureau if i have to , please respond ASAP

@Double_J wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@Double_Ja little late are we?

Its never to late to report issues customers are having to the CRTC or the media.  Also, there is nothing holding anyone back from switching providers.  If you keep letting them get away with this nothing will change.  The only reason why the CRTC introduces new legislation regarding consumer rights is due to the fact that people report problems and they report it in high numbers.  Time to educate yourself man.

Lol, where do you get this kind of information that the CRTC can control price increases.  This price increase was totally compliant with the wireless code.  Notice was given as required by the wireless code.  However, this price increase was blocked by a large number of customer complaining very loud.  The negative impact to the brand halted the price increase.  Let's just say they had a legal license to increase the price but not a social license to do it. 

Double_J
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kav2001c wrote:

@Double_J

CRTC has nothing to do with price plan increases (they could care less)

The thread you are replying to is months old so I have no idea why you necro it (there is no new increase coming)

CRTC mandate is here

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/acrtc/acrtc.htm

Man you dont know anything.  CRTC has everything to do with every aspect of the telecommunications industry.  Educate yourself.

@Double_J

CRTC has nothing to do with price plan increases (they could care less)

The thread you are replying to is months old so I have no idea why you necro it (there is no new increase coming)

CRTC mandate is here

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/acrtc/acrtc.htm

Double_J

@kav2001c wrote:

Its never to late to report issues customers are having to the CRTC or the media.  Also, there is nothing holding anyone back from switching providers.  If you keep letting them get away with this nothing will change.  The only reason why the CRTC introduces new legislation regarding consumer rights is due to the fact that people report problems and they report it in high numbers.  Time to educate yourself man.

Double_J

Report any price increases to the CRTC, the media, and switch providers.  This will teach them a lesson for raising prices on loyal customers.

@mimmowrote:

@Sprayadhesive77 I d like pm long-distance package and the roaming options for USA than koodo.  But koodo can work internationally.

To echo @wetcoaster, this forum nor any other isn't the best way to get or give info as it gets lost fast.  If you had started out with I have gone through x posts and this is my understanding, have I missed anything I am sure you would have gotten the blanks filled in or corrected.

Glad you found the answers were looking for.

+1,000,000.  It is hard to try and be helpful in a situation that appears as if no homework was done for a month and several days after the original migration window closed, out comes the question I don't know what to do, please school me on whether I should stay or leave.  I am not god, but I do help those who help themselves. 

@Sprayadhesive77wrote:

Seriously, thanks for your helpful response, @will13am.... I did read though about a half hours worth of posts and found either conflicting or fragmented responses, or useless chatter.  Not all of us have hours to waste pouring through the forums, and as you can see, someone was nice enough to give one concise up to date response that makes it clear. 

What would be helpful is if there was a "this is all the latest information" post. How am I to know that hidden somewhere in all the posts, there isn't some important tidbit I missed?

/rant

Thanks to those who replied!

I am not trying to be difficult in my response.  There is nothing hidden in the offer.  What was shown in the text is pretty much it.  The plan costs $40 per month, it comes with 6 gigs, Canada wide calling, international text.  The plan qualifies for medium, small, no tab.  The decision on getting a tab or not is something that can be made after the migration.  There is a $100 bill credit to cover financial losses due to stranded usage on the Public Mobile end.  The original offer was supposed to expire on March 15.  It has now been extended with no reported end date.  All this is common knowledge.  There are no hidden features.  While the decision to stay or leave may potentially be difficult due to intangibles that are unique to each customer's situation, the available tangible information is totally transparent.  This is why after a month into what should have already ended, I find it totally astounding to see questions about what do I get if I migrate for people contemplating not staying with this service.  We all have other priorities that may be of greater significance.  This is why I say that if this is such low priority, then pretend this never happend and just stay. 

peosteve

Just read some terms. LD maxes out at $100.

For U.S. destinations, the $7/day fee is capped at $100 per billing cycle. That means you can continue to use your phone plan without additional Easy Roam fees.

For international destinations, the $10/day fee is capped at $100 per billing cycle. That means you can continue to use your phone plan without additional Easy Roam fees.

@peostevewrote:

@Agreed about the roaming plans. $7/day to the US with no maximum can hit the pocketbook if you go on an extended trip... Rogers does the same @ $6, but they don't charge you that after 10 days. That makes more sense to me.

Any idea how forwarding works? Long distance isn't so cheap, but $3/month for $0.05/min isn't terrible. PM with 400 mins for $15 that rolls over isn't bad though. 😁

peosteve

Agreed about the roaming plans. $7/day to the US with no maximum can hit the pocketbook if you go on an extended trip... Rogers does the same @ $6, but they don't charge you that after 10 days. That makes more sense to me.

Any idea how forwarding works? Long distance isn't so cheap, but $3/month for $0.05/min isn't terrible. PM with 400 mins for $15 that rolls over isn't bad though. 😁

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Sprayadhesive77 I d like pm long-distance package and the roaming options for USA than koodo.  But koodo can work internationally.

To echo @wetcoaster, this forum nor any other isn't the best way to get or give info as it gets lost fast.  If you had started out with I have gone through x posts and this is my understanding, have I missed anything I am sure you would have gotten the blanks filled in or corrected.

Glad you found the answers were looking for.

@Sprayadhesive77wrote:

Seriously, thanks for your helpful response, @will13am.... I did read though about a half hours worth of posts and found either conflicting or fragmented responses, or useless chatter.  Not all of us have hours to waste pouring through the forums, and as you can see, someone was nice enough to give one concise up to date response that makes it clear. 

What would be helpful is if there was a "this is all the latest information" post. How am I to know that hidden somewhere in all the posts, there isn't some important tidbit I missed?

/rant

Well, there have been plenty of those threads, each outlining one single person's experience and/or speculation about the migration on that particular day.

It's been extremely YMMV, and the only official information from Public Mobile are the texts ( and Dave's "clarification" on the retraction) - if you are affected you'd have gotten them (unless you unsubscribed). If you are on an affected plan but haven't got the texts and hadn't checked in here you would not see a change (for now, thanks to the outrage documented in these 140+ pages). And yes, the pros and cons have been laid out several times in their own threads. 

Looking for information in a shorter thread that was started more recently than over a month ago (if you can't find the official scoop in the announcements) might have been less frustrating.

Or you could have started your own topic with specific questions, which we would have been happy to help with. It's a reality that posts in old topics are more likely to get missed.

BTW @will13am provided a clear answer to your "but should I switch?" based on the minimum amount of information he had available...

Sprayadhesive77

/rant

WearySky

@Wonder_whywrote:

-unlimited call forwarding not included in the Koodo offer

@computergeek541 who need it, when you have unlimited call Canada Wide anytime mins

One reason: if you frequent areas with spotty cell coverage but which have landlines.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 who need it, when you have unlimited call Canada Wide anytime mins

@Sprayadhesive77wrote:

So much information all over the place.... can someone please clarify what the latest on the plan/offer is? I still have not switched over from the pm plan. I don't trust koodo, plus I don't need that much data...

But should I switch? 

Seriously, you are short this much information on deciding what to do after the original one month window has expired.  In situations like this, I would recommend take no action.  If the effort to find just a little bit of information on the options is so overwhelming, the effort to make the switch is even a greater challenge.  

@Sprayadhesive77wrote:

So much information all over the place.... can someone please clarify what the latest on the plan/offer is? I still have not switched over from the pm plan. I don't trust koodo, plus I don't need that much data...

But should I switch? 

Canada-wide calling, text messaging (to anywhere), picture messaging, 6GB data per month for $40

In my opinion, the main reasons to switch are:

-Canada-wide calling vs. province-wide calling

-6GB of data vs. approx 4GB per month

-phone discount offers and the ability to pay off the price of a new phone spread out over time

-phone-in customer service (although Koodo does charge you a fee if you call in to request an account change that you could have done yourself online)

reasons not to switch:

-credit check and postpaid is easier for the carrier to make more money off you

- if the extras included by Koodo don't do anything for you/don't have any value to you, you are just paying more for things that you won't use

Sprayadhesive77

But should I switch? 

BigD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In case if you need a Koodo friend to get referral for $25 credit Please pm me.

WearySky

@shadowbankerwrote:

The reality is all companies raise their prices so this is no surprise. One of the reasons I moved to PM is because Rogers decided to change my overage rate without telling me. I had $10/gig overage on my plan and they changed it to $7/100/mb just because they can. So no plan, with any carrier, lasts forever. I'm happy to see that at least I'm safe, have not received any notice of price increases. It does look like Telus is pushing users that use more data to Koodo, especially those who for the fall 2016 promo plans. I wouldn't switch to Bell, their prices are a complete joke!

Yeah, I never reasonably expected my price to be fixed forever and ever. But a 25% increase less than a year and a half after signing up is still miles worse than any other carrier increase I've ever had. I'm happy enough to switch over though - maxing out my Koodo referral credits at $300 for the year means that I'm pretty much fully covered on the various credits I was getting on PM for at least a year, probably a year and a half (I haven't bothered doing the exact math). Plus an extra 2GB of data every month and nationwide calling and the ability to get a phone on tab medium plus better roaming options (for me), it was a no brainer.

@shadowbankerwrote:

Just so you know, when it comes to negotiating with retentions/loyalty, that department doesn't exist at Koodo. With Rogers, with all their shortcomings, I was always on their best retention plans. But when I tried to negotiate for my wife while she was with Koodo, forget it! They don't negotiate **bleep**! So think twice before moving to Koodo.

Interestingly, I've had success in the past negotiating with Koodo. Though mine was more for account credits and device balances and the like.

shadowbanker

The reality is all companies raise their prices so this is no surprise. One of the reasons I moved to PM is because Rogers decided to change my overage rate without telling me. I had $10/gig overage on my plan and they changed it to $7/100/mb just because they can. So no plan, with any carrier, lasts forever. I'm happy to see that at least I'm safe, have not received any notice of price increases. It does look like Telus is pushing users that use more data to Koodo, especially those who signed up for fall 2016 promo plans. I wouldn't switch to Bell, their prices are a complete joke!

Just so you know, when it comes to negotiating with retentions/loyalty, that department doesn't exist at Koodo. With Rogers, with all their shortcomings, I was always on their best retention plans. But when I tried to negotiate for my wife while she was with Koodo, forget it! They don't negotiate **bleep**! So think twice before moving to Koodo.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@espritdautomnewrote:

There is nothing to do realy other than switching to the competition, if there is any. Telus, and Bell are by far the wrost in the industry about services and pricing policies, thrust me althogh i dont know about koodo yet but seeing this, i am far from being enthousiasm about finding out. I knew it was bad news when PM was brought in the first place.

As for me, i am out. the real Public Mobile is dead and there are other alternatives if you search for them. Dont bother with the CRTC and the Competition Bureau; they have lobbyist all up they â anaway .  Just get out of it and use this dreadfull experience to avoid getting f again.

You can move too Koodo or Telus but they are the same owner as PM. 

You can move to Bell but their prices are rediculous

You can move to Rogers/Fido but they have a history of increasing prices (even months after a promo).

You can move to ChatR with zones and 3G service.

You can move to Freedom with zones, fast LTE, but still spotty coverage/reception penetration. Prices are no longer what they use to be either.

espritdautomne

There is nothing to do realy other than switching to the competition, if there is any. Telus, and Bell are by far the wrost in the industry about services and pricing policies, thrust me althogh i dont know about koodo yet but seeing this, i am far from being enthousiasm about finding out. I knew it was bad news when PM was brought in the first place.

As for me, i am out. the real Public Mobile is dead and there are other alternatives if you search for them. Dont bother with the CRTC and the Competition Bureau; they have lobbyist all up they âss anaway .  Just get out of it and use this dreadfull experience to avoid getting fûcked again.

GibsonSGJ

I got the offer of 4GB of data for $45 per month with unlimited Canada wide anytime mins + "Up to" $100 in bill credits, whatever "up to" means. I just recently paid for my 90 plan, however, so I will lose that.

My current PM plan wasn't even a promo when I joined just a year ago. I have 6gb/90 days with Canada wide calling for $135 ($45 per month). That being said, with referrals and loyalty rewards I am down to $120 ($40 per month) and I always end my 90 days term with over 1GB left over.

I honestly think I'm going to wait it out to see what might be offered next. It was less than two weeks ago that they offered me to switch to a $45 Koodo plan with only 2GB and here we are two weeks later and they've doubled up on the data. Plus my current plan works for me and I like the PM model.

stch767

Rather be with PM for the rewards and prepaid flexibility. 

Hen555

@computergeek541wrote:

@Hen555wrote:

the 40 dollar 5GB deal is better than the deal that public mobile gave us in  2017.

That's extremely debatable, and I disagree with that statement. The Koodo plan is only a better deal f you need Canada-wide calling and the extra 1GB. if you need neither, the Koodo plan is more expensive and you'd be paying more for no reason.  This doesn't even beging to take into account the fact that you'd be on a postpaid plan, making it easier for Koodo to make even more from you.

For most, the extent of how much more expensive the Koodo plan is depends on how many reward discounts they currently have with Public Mobile.

Yes you are right. It is more about your personal use. If you want more data you are getting better $/GB with Koodo .

If you don't need more data you will save on Public Mobile. 

This is is a good offer by public mobile then.

Need Help? Let's chat.