cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

mike390
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

WOW... Just recieved a call from a Koodo store in my area asking me if im going to switch over soon. Are you **bleep**ing serious?! Way to piss people off even more. Id rather pay more with anyone else than any Telus owned company at this point.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lishuqinwrote:

Well, is that a way to kick me out from 2016 fall promotion? How the Koodo assure my $40/month 120GB plan in the future? since they didn't make any promise like PM did one year ago. Also my autopay and loyalty save me $9 per 3 months, and will Koodo keep this discount as well? 

Depends on how this ends up, I may fill a complaint to the CCTS.  

@lishuqinNo, Koodo doesn't have autopay or loyalty rewards. So if you switch to Koodo all those rewards and add ons any account balance in your PM account will be forfeited.

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13amwrote:

If people are happy with a 2 gig plan and Canada wide minutes, there is a $36 option that expires at the end of February.  Send me a PM and we can discuss offline.  I am trying honor the star on my Avatar by not turning this forum into a shopping forum. 

Thanks, my two plans expire April 1 - not keen on forfeitng any money paid. 

sbreakin

Thanks for helping us get more details on the Koodo offer.

As an FYI I have read that if call forwarding (& no answer etc) are important to you they are an extra $3 (i.e. an extra feature).

Q: Also if anyone could help with the TAB aspect, the ability to get a phone would be a feature that we don't have at PM.

From what I've read the main features: $100 (possibly more with referral), 4G/mo, unlimited calling Canada wide, same network, $40/mo. voicemail/ call display.  Items one is giving up: 90 day averaging for data (no one else has that), pre-paid aspect, loyalty credits (although the $10 increase put a big dent in those). 

Civic_E

No explanation required...

image.png

lishuqin

Well, is that a way to kick me out from 2016 fall promotion? How the Koodo assure my $40/month 120GB plan in the future? since they didn't make any promise like PM did one year ago. Also my autopay and loyalty save me $9 per 3 months, and will Koodo keep this discount as well? 

Depends on how this ends up, I may fill a complaint to the CCTS.  

The free SIM is probably a goodwill gesture considering how we have been battered and bruised by this fiasco.  Other cell shops may even offer more.  These are new activations which all cell shops want for the commission. 

Ionut

You can do better. Buy the cheapest Koodo plan, after that create an account on Koodo website. Change your address/region to Quebec and select the 56$ for 8 GB of LTE. Unlimited Canada-Wide. Then port-forward your existing phone number.

If people are happy with a 2 gig plan and Canada wide minutes, there is a $36 option that expires at the end of February.  Send me a PM and we can discuss offline.  I am trying honor the star on my Avatar by not turning this forum into a shopping forum. 

Civic_E

I had to pay for the SIM 😞

sbreakin

@computergeek541wrote:

I could write the annoucement now.

Step 1:  Greet the customer and thank them for being a customer.

Dear community,

We, at Public Mobile like to thank all customers for being customers.

Step 2:  Acknowledge changes to the price of the $120 promo plan.

Effective your next billing date after March 20, 2018, the price of the Fall Promo 2016 plan will increase from $120 to $150 per 90 days.

Step 3:  Deflect by saying how Public Mobile offers great pricing to suit a wide variety of customers.

Public Mobile is comitted to bringing the best value to customers of the wireless industry.  We understand that these changes may not suit all customers, so we'd like to take this time to remind customers of the other price plans that we offer.  (the announcement would then probably go on about how customers can keep about a $120 price for 90 days by switching to a 6 or 12 GB 3g plan).

Step 4:  Make the Koodo pitch and convince customer how it's a good thing.

We have a great offer for you from our friends at Koodo.  For a limited time, sign up until March 15, 2018 (or whatever date it was) and receive unlmited Canada-wide calling, unlimtied text messaging, and 4GB of data per month for $40 - (insert further details here). You'll remain on the same great nation-wide network you've come to love and rely on, and you'll gain calling to any Canadian phone number without long distance charges!  The option to acquire a fantastic discounted phone will allso be available to you.  In addition, you'll have access to our great country-wide retail channel to help you with your wireless needs. 

Step 5:  Thank the customer and make some vagure forward-looking statement

Once again, thank you for support during these changes.  We value you, as a customer, and look forward to providing with your best wireless communications value in Canada.

Sincerely,

The Public Mobile Team  (or some other generic title, or the name of someone high up whom we don't usually hear from for the purpose of the customers not going after or directing their anger at any one specic person)

Okay - that was for a bit of comedic relief, but did I get it about right?  - a broad general statement with a whole bunch of words but really pretty much saying nothing?

Gosh, you've saved someone a lot of work (normally the recent announcements would be Brooke but as you say they may want a generic PM or higher level announcement. 

Now the only thing for them to add is a bit more about the Koodo offer to clarify that a bit & a bit more detail on a 3G speed & LTE plan that is comparable.  

Great to hear about the free SIM

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Fido in Nov 2016 price matched the $40 for 4GB plan in Jul 2017 raised everyones pricing to $45 for 4GB

Their history is appaling and despite my hatred towards Koodo I would argue Koodo is a safer bet

atrtovac

Hey guys! Took the Koodo offer and just wanted to post this to show you guys. Just for all you guys wondering if calling is only unlimited after 5 pm and on weekends, this is not the case, it’s unlimited any-time minutes, meaning 24/7. 

Visited my nearest Koodo store to get this done and the $100 credit will cover my first 2 bills and part of the 3rd. Also, I did not have to pay for a SIM card! Koodo employees advised me it’s free. 

ThanksE90F27BB-619E-4545-8CAA-BB9F189DE673.png

tzliu

Thanks, noticed that. Hope FIDO would have a similar deal before end of March. 

Never use anything over 4GB in the 90-days period, might stay with FM with a downgraded 30-days version and wait and see.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

All the big three have flanker brands which are intended to feed people up the chain.

I can't remember but I read (annual report or something) that  only post paid clients are of "value" hence trying to move people up the chain.

I would agree with the conspiracy idea.  What irkes me is that people on the $45 4gb plan are not getting an increase why not simply go up by 5$? Like fido did a while back.

alby905

Everyone send PM a message saying this is not fair

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just to let you know the Fido offer of $45 for 2 GB of data with unlimited talk and text ends February 20. So if you are planning on switching, there is only 4 days left for this promo. 

koimr1

Yeah, looks like call forwarding is a Koodo add-on (basing it on the Tab-less $65/month details which I believe is supposed to be our special $40 deal).

My office is in my basement which is underground and the signal is poor so I just forward "unavailable" calls to Fongo. Yeah, $3 isn't a killer but definitely closing the gap between staying with PM with the increase but referral/community/autopay bonuses and going to this new offer.

I don't really get how something like call-forwarding would be a charge in this day and age.

Antinephalist

Please consider this my formal complaint before I file a complaint with the CCTS.

I joined with public mobile for the $120/90 day plan after I read in a public post by public mobile that:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. "

This forced price change and coercive attempt to get us to change to a non-prepaid plan is not appreciated and I feel lied to and unappreciated as a customer.

RLBL

Interesting...

Got baited a year+ ago. Took them over a year to switch.

They fail at bait and switch. Seems like a legit theory.

tzliu

Had great support from PM mods and the forum (thank you!), but not sure if I want to continue to give business to TELUS, either staying with PM with a downgraded version or moving over to Koodo with the offer.

One never knows what TELUS/Koodo would do once it has forced all $40/4GB subscribers on board of Koodo. They might tell all, "okay now we've got you poor bastards, pay up and pay whatever we charge the new customers", which is what PM is doing now.

We can complain all we can, but the matter of fact is that we are pre-paid and TELUS only owes us the obligation of honouring the price for the period we paid for. They can do whatever they want with a new contract, totally disregarding what they had promised.  It is sleaze, unethical, bad buiness practice, whatever we can label, but nothing can change the fact our contract with PM is for 90 days or whatever your prepaid period. 

Seriously debating of moving to FIDO before current period expires at end of March, AND if FIDO continues to offer $45 for 2GB/Canada-Wide Calling, which will be better than PM's $47/2GB/Provincal Calling.

Was a customer of FIDO a long while ago before switched to FM, then baited over here.  Anyone has recent experience can share? 

@guinness22, it is shock free data.  You have to manually disable this other wise you won't be able to go over your data unless you manually make the change to allow for this

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wolfcore

This is what a lot of people don't understand. This practice is actually illegal, and is prohibited by the Competition Bureau.

This is directly from the Competition Bureau website:

"The misleading advertising and labelling provisions enforced by the Competition Bureau prohibit making any deceptive representations for the purpose of promoting a product or a business interest, and encourage the provision of sufficient information to allow consumers to make informed choices."

We made an informed choice based off of what we were told, which was to allow us to keep these plans as long as we remained a customer. We were mislead, and that goes against what the Competition Bureau, and the Competition Act, stand for.

Funkycat

Hi!

So, I'm attempting to resolve with you the issue of a $30 price increase.

When I signed up, retained, and renewed my Public Mobile service, one of the inducements to do so was the representation that I will be able to retain "$120 / 3-months" rate indefinitely with "no surprises", even after the promotion was over. This representation was made via official channels, wherein a representative of your company stated, "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". 

This representation is still accessible here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. I am also using this opportunity to resolve the same complaint one other account that I'd like to represent.

Thank you.

Julez

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It seems koodo is free calls 24 .7. I went to manager at shop. He explains it .  So all not bad.  Just watch your bills and data overage carefully . Thanks all.  

steelworx

EVERYONE please file a complaint! Public Mobile (Telus) should not be increasing our bills by 25% in some backdoor scam to screw us out of the deal many of us signed up for!! $120 for 3 months and 12GB is what I had my entire family switch to Public for and now Public is trying to screw us all over... not acceptable!!

FILE COMPLAINT HERE!!: 

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number, account PIN, and your concern. Keep a copy to prove you have sent it. Do not expect a response for many days.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

steelworx

EVERYONE please file a complaint! Public Mobile (Telus) should not be increasing our bills by 25% in some backdoor scam to screw us out of the deal many of us signed up for!! $120 for 3 months and 12GB is what I had my entire family switch to Public for and now Public is trying to screw us all over... not acceptable!!

FILE COMPLAINT HERE!!: 

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

Need Help? Let's chat.