cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

pub1

Dear Public mobile,

Because you can not be contacted directly, I am writing to you using forum.

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on four cellphones in my household that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Per your own promotional material and answers to customers:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS for each household member.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello Public Mobile.

I realize the MOD's are quite busy at the moment and perhaps the senior management at Public Mobile but since there is so much confusion and rather a lot of comments, replies and quotes about what the Koodo offer actually is and what PM's position is on various aspects such as pre-paid credits, would it be too much to ask for a featured announcement?

Often there are featured announcements on significant changes at Public Mobile such as: "Effective February 15th, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans" or  "Changes to our support structure" and this would seem to be a significant item for discussion.

PS: Thank you to the oracles and others forum members who have been providing updates on the Koodo offer and potential resolution/ feedback opportunities.

Also, a text announcing a significant price increase with a link & 'other conditions' does seem a bit impersonal and brief. 

Thank you for your consideration.

@jonauyeungwrote:

They're basically discouraging anybody with any credit balance to not switch to Koodo, even if they wanted to.  For people with a few bucks, those people will just give Telus that free money.  But for anybody with bigger balances, it makes more sense to stay on PM, burn the credit and then leave for another provider.    That $100 bill credit only compensates for the current bill cycle that most people have already paid, and by the time you factor in the SIM card, you've basically broken even.  

If they tailor the migration window to each user's unique circumstances, then there would be no issues.  We can burn all of our sunk costs before leaving.  We all have a fixed migration window.  If you hang around until all funds are gone, there are no guarantees that a similarly priced plan will be there waiting for you.  I suspect that if there are any other viable options aside from the Koodo migration, it will become available within the next 2-3 weeks while this issue is still trending, not 3 months from now.  Everything will have blown over by spring. 

mjs
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lazardus

When Public mobile advertises and  "Publish" the following to acquire a business:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Then the above becomes a contractual agreement between them and the client as advertised and published. It's is a clear case of breach of agreement. It's doesn't matter what was published under their service terms. The fact that the above was used to acquire clients and funds, then it automatically becomes part of the service terms.

People need to understand that damages can be pursued due to the breach.

Timewasterninja

Hello Public Mobile Team,

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on one cellphones in my household that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS. 

Jon5295

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on one cellphones in my household that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. 

v3nice
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Charanth182wrote:

@v3nice

Since you've managed to find it what are the T&C? I think we should all know.

Capture 1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

This is after I entered my promotion code. That so called unlimited call is not unlimited based on Term #3 Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

And offers only applied on Tab which means you have to get a phone from Koodo.

dluo

I'm really upset by this pricing increase. There was a promise that you would not be increasing the plan prices and there would be no surprise.

Then I receive this text message that there's a huge price increase and my plan was about to renew yesterday.  So I decided I better not let it renew and switch to Koodo.

When I go to the Koodo site, I enter the promo code and the plan says $65 still and I have to pay $15 more for a sim card. What is this nonsense? 

Now I have no plan, my phone is not working and stuck in limbo. 

This is absolutely ridiculous so I would like to know what you are planning to do about this?  

I will be filing a complaint about this.  I feel so embarrassed convincing friends to join this service telling them that Rogers is just ripping you off when you guys do the same. How shameful.

Dan

Thanks for the info @guinness22. I wonder if you can negotiate at the kiosk to improve Koodo's offer?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Omeron

Dear Public Mobile,

This is a formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as was sent to me via a text from "5133" on February 15, 2018. 

Increasing this price for this plan is against the original comments on forums made by Public Mobile employees stating that "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. " (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS and the Better Business Bureau shortly if I do not hear back within 24 hours.

Thank you,

David Harris

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The koodo booth advise the 4 GB deal is unlimited calls 5 to 8 am only . They say if u get the 40 dollars 2 GB deal direct with them u get Anytime Calls Canada wide. That's the catch u pay for calls there are free now with Public. 

convolution

This is what I sent to CBC Go Public. You should also take a moment to either send what I wrote to them (ctrl+c ctrl+v below), or modify it to your liking.
THEIR EMAIL: gopublic@cbc.ca

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CONTENT:

Public Mobile (or PM for short), a Telus subsidiary, offered a promotional plan during fall 2016 as per following link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

As per picture https://imgur.com/gallery/XJjoB , the red box indicates that it will remain at $120 / 3 months, with no surprises.

With Public Mobile rewards system, many users are paying <$35 for their plans, including myself.

But recently we all received a text from PM indicating there will be a $10 per month increase in the plans starting next month, which clearly goes against their announcement of the plans staying at $120. This increase of $10 will drive away many referrals for customers, resulting in jumps from $30 a month to $50 a month, an increase of ~66%.

PM's compensation is to funnel their customer base to Koodo by offering a $40, 4GB per month plan. But this plan has no rewards, and unlike the PM plan of 12 gb spread over 3 months, these 4 gb per month doesn't roll over. There are also no rewards with Koodo, and many of us will lose our referral rewards, our prepayment reward, and loyalty reward.

This act has sparked outrage among the PM community:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/bd-p/Discussions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/price-increase-12gb-120-90day-plan-increase-150-unless-switch-koodo-2...

Over 2000 comments in just over a day from both sites. Plus many of the PM community are complaining about PM to CCTS and the Competition Bureau.

Telus openly went against their words, and increased prices across the board, ranging from 20% to 60% increases, all in an attempt to get people to sign up with Koodo and move up the value chain, as per Telus CEO in a stakeholders meeting earlier this year.

Please do what you can, corporations can't just surprise their customers with huge increase in fees, especially clearly stating "... no surprises."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@v3nicewrote:

@ShawnC13wrote:

@Charanth182, that is why Koodo has offered the $100 bill credit to compensate you for any prepaid time that you will not use.

Sorry, but that $100 credit is not enough to cover and there are T&C for that to be applied.

I am just saying that is why they offer it.  You will/can use a month of your service leaving you ~$80 because not sure if you have autopay and loyalty rewards so that is where they get the $100 from

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

moodyak

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS. 

Charanth182

@v3nice

Since you've managed to find it what are the T&C? I think we should all know.

Hide2000

Hello Public Mobile,

I am writing to inform you that I want like to keep my  current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic.

I am curious if this is even doing anything. Please post here if PM have contacted you. Thanks.

v3nice

@ShawnC13wrote:

@Charanth182, that is why Koodo has offered the $100 bill credit to compensate you for any prepaid time that you will not use.

Sorry, but that $100 credit is not enough to cover and there are T&C for that to be applied.

RLBL

@shawnie_boywrote:

Are you people blind. The Koodo offer is unlimited Canada calling anytime. The terms you see are referring to other non unlimited plans based on the number being referenced. 

I think (some) people are just looking for stuff to complain about and making up FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

People want to believe that the Koodo plan is bad, when in fact it isn't at all (not saying it is better because some people have dropped their charges by referrals etc... but seriously, how many people are going to lose their referrals? I am not waiting around to watch my monthly cost creep up as people jump ship)

Charanth182

1) When you port out the number to Koodo the account at PM will be cancelled and all credits and balances and rewards will be forfeited.

We all got the promotion at the same time since it was the same promotion. How convenenient these changes are after we just renewed...

Ktm07sx

@Moderator_Team

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus my rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 48 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS and Competition Bureau.

shawnie_boy

The koodo offer does not come with call forwarding though. 

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So much for loyalty.

Should've jumped on a few Rogers deals in the past that were the same. Now Telus gives me a sour taste. 

Why the hell do you only post this after all of us just renewed. You guys suck!

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kevin_camerawrote:

Hi Mods, can you please provide as much information as you can for the questions below?  You guys may have answered questions here and there, but since there isn't a public announcement with some F.A.Qs, it's hard for us to dig for these answers in the forums.  These are the questions for those who got the text for the $10/30 day increase.

(Yes, yes, PM community, we can complain, we can fight, but in the end we know that the market is dominated by the big 3 telecoms and we as customers are not going to win.  Prices are controlled by the big 3 for 20 years and we never "won", and we ain't gonna win now.)

1) Can you please let us know what happens to our prepaid long distance minutes and data add on when we transfer to new Koodo plan?

2) My next payment cycle is on March 11th.  If I choose to stay for another 90 days, will I be paying $120/90days minus rewards or $150/90 days minus rewards?

3) Is the Koodo plan BYOD or can it be combined with a tab?

4) If I choose to transfer at a store, can this be done only at "Koodo" stores or can it be done at say, bestbuy?

Thanks

I try to answer some of the questions:

1) When you port out the number to Koodo the account at PM will be cancelled and all credits and balances and rewards will be forfeited.

2) The price increase will take place on March 20, so if your plan renews on March 11, you will still get the old $120 promo plan until your next renewal date. (That is how I understood the procedure).

Charanth182

Thanks @Garry is it a contract? Does Koodo have 911 fees and other stuff on top of the $40/month?

@lazardus Unfortunately filing a complaint is your only recourse, but I understand there will no action until your plan renews in 90 days at the higher price. Robot Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

RyanJuergen

It's also fraud and false advertising.

Not to mention anti-competitive by trying to force people to a different company on the same network...

Anthony

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus my rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Anthony

slads

This price increase of $30/90days is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to your website stating this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... mited-time...

This move is classic "bait and switch". Your Koodo offer is not comparable (Prepay vs post pay, no discounts) and clearly a move designed to incresase telus profits now sufficient time has elapsed since you have removed the old PM as a competitor. I do not accept this unilateral braech of the promises made. Unless you reinstate the plan rate and terms per your original offer I will pursue my complaint with the CCTS. Should that not be sucessful I guarantee my busines with Telus will move to a competitor (and if Freedom Mobile have any sense they will cease upon this opportunity to win PM subscribers.)  I really do not want to do business with a dishonest supplier.

eugenechak

Dear Public Mobile,

This is a formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as was sent to me via a text from "5133" on February 15, 2018. 

Increasing this price for this plan is against the original comments on forums made by Public Mobile employees stating that "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. " (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS and the Better Business Bureau shortly if I do not hear back within 24 hours.

Thank you,

Eugene

shawnie_boy

The solution to this post is not accurate 

Need Help? Let's chat.