cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

yihtangyeo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@mooneyaywrote:

I am pretty sure moderator is deleting posts that are "copy and pasted" from other peoples posts in this thread....  I've posted copy and paste twice now, confirmed the post has been made, and then it disappears.    

Can anyone find my posts or comment on this?

Send the moderator a private message, document it (save as PDF). File a CCTS complaint with the proofs.

I do undertand the angst associated with this offer. I'm really only concerned that people don't turn down the Bird in the Hand (Koodo offer) with the one in the bush (CCTS forces PM/Telus to roll back the price).  Everyone who joined PM after I did, did so because it was the best offer for their needs. Just do that analysis again bearing in mind the Koodo offer.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

irex

Hello,

I activated my account with Public Mobile on November 17th 2016 under the fall promotion: 3 months, $120, 12GBs of data, and 200 minutes of US and Canada long distance. I received a text message yesterday informing me my rate would be increased by $30 for each 3 month period. After accounting for the discounts I've accrued with Public Mobile, this amounts to a 27% price increase.

This is a direct contradiction of material representations made by your staff to induce prospective customers into moving from our previous cellular providers and purchasing your services. Here is an example of one such representation made by Brooke_C, a Public Mobile representative:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Source: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

This makes the representation false or misleading under the Competition Act.

If the cost of my plan increases, I will file a complaint with the Competition Bureau for your contravention of the Competition Act. If I do not receive a response within 7 calendar days explicitly stating that my plan's price will not increase, I will file a complaint with the Competition Bureau for your contravention of the Competition Act.

Further, the text I received offered me a seemingly equivalent plan if I move to Koodo. Here are the problems with such an offer:

If I take advantage of the offer, I forfeit the discounts I have accrued with Public Mobile.

The plan does not include US long-distance.
There is no mention if any of the additional services I currently receive are included in this offer e.g. Caller ID, Voicemail.

4GBs of data per month is not as flexible compared to 12 GBs of data every 3 months.

I am not being given any assurance that the plan's cost will not change in the future.

Therefore, I must conclude that this is not a fair or equivalent offer, even after the $100 credit being offered.

If the cost of my plan increases, I will file a complaint with the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services. If I do not receive a response within 7 calendar days explicitly stating that my plan's price will not increase, I will file a complaint with the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services.

Please respond as soon as possible. I wish to resolve this matter in an amicable and timely fashion.

yihtangyeo

@WearySkywrote:

@yihtangyeowrote:

@Ludditewrote:

@yihtangyeo Apparently CCTS will not look at this until your price has actually increased. Plus Telus has offered a better plan at the same price.

Yeah I'm not sure if you are seeing the same website content as I do. The cheapest Telus prepaid plan is $37 per month with 250 MB data. Maybe the website looks a little different if you're a Telus affiliate, eh?

Luddite was obviously referring to Telus offering you the Koodo $40/4GB plan, which is a better plan since it has unlimited nationwide calling instead of just provincial.

I wouldn't call it a "better" plan.

How exactly is it better if the it's something that you don't use? I fully accepted that I can only make provincial call when I signed up for my plan. Giving me something I don't need doesn't qualify as "better".

mooneyay

I am pretty sure moderator is deleting posts that are "copy and pasted" from other peoples posts in this thread....  I've posted copy and paste twice now, confirmed the post has been made, and then it disappears.    

Can anyone find my posts or comment on this?

dx123

Hi Public Mobile,

I am writing to inform you that I want like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Per your own promotional material and answers to customers:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic.

Thank you

slam416

Agreed.

Blatant bait and switch tactic. Will be filing a complaint if there is no response in a reasonable time.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@yihtangyeowrote:

@Ludditewrote:

@yihtangyeo Apparently CCTS will not look at this until your price has actually increased. Plus Telus has offered a better plan at the same price.

Yeah I'm not sure if you are seeing the same website content as I do. The cheapest Telus prepaid plan is $37 per month with 250 MB data. Maybe the website looks a little different if you're a Telus affiliate, eh?

Luddite was obviously referring to Telus offering you the Koodo $40/4GB plan, which is a better plan since it has unlimited nationwide calling instead of just provincial.

nellium

seconded. File a complaint, let it be known and heard. 

Also, The $100 bill credit does nothing for me having been with PM for so long.

@Boomslywrote:

Be careful with koodo's plan. they will do the same thing to you as they are doing to PM users now, it will just likely sting a lot more. Your best course of action is to file a complaint and be patient.

@ute1978wrote:

@Ludditewrote:

Plus Telus has offered a better plan at the same price.

Is this something new?

@ute1978 No, just reaffirming that our contracts are actually with Telus. That is the legal entity people will be "suing". PM is not a company, rather it is a division per the ToS: ""We", "us" and "our" refers to the mobility division of TELUS Communications Inc.; • "

RyanJuergen

It's literally defraud and false advertising.

They stated in writing no increase while active on the plan and barely over 1 year later they increased it 25%? That's completely outrageous.

yihtangyeo

@Ludditewrote:

I will wait for the CCTS response, there's no reason why anybody should not file a complaint. If CCTS doesn't look into it now, sure, I'll file a complaint again when my price actually went up. Heck I might even do a credit card dispute at that time.

There's no reason to switch to Koodo now because the allegedly promotional plan expires in a month. I'm not wasting the rest of my 90 days plan, I just got my prepaid plan auto-renewed hours before they sent me the text. Plus, given PM pulled this stunt, don't expect me to support their sister network.

tdot

Hi Public Mobile representatives and Public Mobile moderator,

I am writing to inform you that I want like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic.

Thank you.

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The contract with The 4 GB offer says Unlimited not Anytime .   You must have anytime minutes to call free 7 days a week.    Beware it's 50 cents a minute a call 

nellium

I have not received this text or any email/mail regarding this change. 

I do however see it in my selfserve (accessed it to get my account number to file a CCTS complaint).

This should not be allowed to fly, especially when there was no adequate communication from public mobile regarding this potential and illegal change. 

v3nice

@Ludditewrote:

It is not a better plan and not at the same price

Boomsly

@Ludditewrote:

@aeolus You might be better off sending this as a private message to the moderators. Bear in mind you have been offered a better plan at the same price.

@Luddite please bear in mind the original promise of keeping the plan at the advertised price for life, that includes referral credits and auto pay credits. Please stop defending PMs/telus poor decisions to increase the price plan. You know just as well as any other sensible person that this a violation of an agreed upon contract and is poor business practice and will not be tolerated.

nellium

Seconded, we are not asking for anything above and beyond what we signed up for. 

WearySky

@Ludditewrote:

Well, not quite the same price:

- No loyalty discount

- No forum discount

- No autopay discount

- No referral discount

I'm faced with either paying $10 more a month to stay with PM (assuming all my referrals don't jump ship, which they almost certainly will), or paying nearly $20 more a month to move over to the "same price" with Koodo.

Having said that - I'm still not convinced this is really a CCTS issue, it seems like more of a false advertisement issue.  

Nomad

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is a formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as was sent to me via a text from "5133" on February 15, 2018. 

When I signed up for Public Mobile service, my primary motivator was the clause in the fine print that stated that I will be able to retain "$120 / 3-months" rate indefinitely with "no surprises". Public Mobile was a relatively new company, and I took a risk by being a pioneer with this plan. 

This price increase is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS shortly if I do not hear back within a reasonable timeframe.

Thank you. 

Boomsly

Be careful with koodo's plan. they will do the same thing to you as they are doing to PM users now, it will just likely sting a lot more. Your best course of action is to file a complaint and be patient.

@aeolus You might be better off sending this as a private message to the moderators. Bear in mind you have been offered a better plan at the same price.

shofixti

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic. Thank you.

Boomsly

Luddite, nice try in your attempt to diffuse the situation. This decision will not be tolerated and I suggest anyone with the public mobile promotional plan ensure you file a complaint and do not listen to Luddite as he/she clearly has telus' best interest at heart.

@guinness22 Check with Koodo; there was a post yesterday of an actual contract that showed Unlimited Canada Wide.

bensueters

Hi Public Mobile,

Since this is the only reasonable way to contact you as a company (not even an email address? really?) this is my way of contacting you regarding the price increase on my current phone plan.

I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on the cellphone number that I have had with you for over a year.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises".  Please see the following link for source:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within five (5) business days I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and proceed with a complaint to the CCTS.

Regards,

Ben

ute1978

@Ludditewrote:

Plus Telus has offered a better plan at the same price.

Is this something new?

outdoorsaddix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is not true, you are reading the fine print that does not apply to the $40 teir. Click on the $30 tier and you will see that #3 fine print line applies to the unlimited evenings and weekends on that plan. Then click back to the $40 tier and you will see it no longer applies. 

jgotfried

I encourage everyone who is outraged by this blatent false advertising to file a complaint with CCTS. It's easy and will take less than 15 minutes.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

jtm02

Not true. It’s unlimited minutes on the $40 plan, and evenings and weekends on the $30 one 

Need Help? Let's chat.