cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

amallya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lukevaderwrote:

Bwahahhaahha, fido? No thanks. Worst speeds ever. Bell is your best option if you dont want to go to koodo but its doubtful cause no one is going to give up $100 free credit, maybe even $200 free credit for some.

k. 

Wing1234

How can they just increase the price after they said we can keep this plan as long as we continue to be an active customer like in their promotion. I want to remain with this company at the price they promised!!

amallya

fido.pngfidomc.JPG

@sheytoonwrote:

I'm hoping Fido and Virgin Mobile match this offer, just to steal business away from scumbag Telus and their insane 25% price hike (which was conveniently implemented after a billing cycle renewal).

I'm going to be looking for some competitive offers in the next few weeks, and if a good one comes along, bye bye Telus and I'll never come back, no matter how good a deal is offered.

Aznflipmode
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
amallya

@amallyawrote:

@Rennerdswrote:

Edit: you responded saying that PM can change pricing under service terms at any time. 

That is business-speak for FECK off and GET FECKED. What are you going to do? 

Fido is actually a pretty good option, if you also get the Fido Mastercard. It gives 1.5% cashback on all purchases, one of the best in Canada, and it can be used to reduce fido bills. Also there is no foreign exchange fees when purchasing in foreign currency.

Everybody pissed off by public mobile should consider taking their business to Fido.

Stop spamming with that promotion. It's not a good alternative.

amallya

fido.png

amallya

fido.png

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jeeva86wrote:

I hope Rogers bell or freedom comes in to offer a scooping deal. Even if they offered the same deal as koodo, people may jump there instead. 

PM was like Fido of the old old days. They were about loyalty etc. They just went down the drain with one text. 

AFAIK Freedom is still running the $50/10GB right now.

jeeva86

I hope Rogers bell or freedom comes in to offer a scooping deal. Even if they offered the same deal as koodo, people may jump there instead. 

PM was like Fido of the old old days. They were about loyalty etc. They just went down the drain with one text. 

Mary1234

How can I trust them and switch to koodo when they lied about letting us keep the plan as long as we stay as an active member. They might change it again later on and it hasn't even been two years yet. Not only will we lose all our loyalty rewards but koodo is not prepaid, it's postpaid. I want to keep this plan for what they intially promised. 

I'm hoping Fido and Virgin Mobile match this offer, just to steal business away from scumbag Telus and their insane 25% price hike (which was conveniently implemented after a billing cycle renewal).

I'm going to be looking for some competitive offers in the next few weeks, and if a good one comes along, bye bye Telus and I'll never come back, no matter how good a deal is offered.

lukevader

@amallyawrote:

Fido is actually a pretty good option, if you also get the Fido Mastercard. It gives 1.5% cashback on all purchases, one of the best in Canada, and it can be used to reduce fido bills. Also there is no foreign exchange fees when purchasing in foreign currency.

Everybody pissed off by public mobile should consider taking their business to Fido.

Bwahahhaahha, fido? No thanks. Worst speeds ever. Bell is your best option if you dont want to go to koodo but its doubtful cause no one is going to give up $100 free credit, maybe even $200 free credit for some.

dzm

Hi,

I'd like to address the price increase text I received today. When I signed up, Public Mobile indicated that the price would remain $120/90 days for the remainder of the plan; however, today I received a text indicating it would go up to $150/90 days.

This is counter to the published materials. Please confirm that this price increase doesn't apply as I signed up under those stated terms.

Thank you.

amallya

@Rennerdswrote:

Edit: you responded saying that PM can change pricing under service terms at any time. 

That is business-speak for FECK off and GET FECKED. What are you going to do? 

Forez

This is very sordid baiting-and-switching. Please go back to the table and re-assess this plan. I am very disappointed and may well see to it that my family's business with PM, Koodo, and Telus are concluded.

amallya

amallya

antifreeze1100

My PM to Moderators copied here:

Like many, many others I am formally contacting you to object to the "surprise" $30/90-day price increase in my current plan, of which I was notified by text message this afternoon. As I am sure you have been made aware by other outraged customers, the promotional materials when I originally signed up for this plan in fall 2016 clearly stated, "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. [emphasis added]" For example, see https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time.... Similar promises were made by other Public Mobile representatives and materials at that time. I believe these multiple and clear advertising representations made by Public Mobile supersede any contradictory language concealed in the Terms of Service.

I am not at all interested in the included offer to switch to your sister company's "comparable" plan, which has many disadvantages despite your attempts to promote it as substantially similar or superior (e.g., no call forwarding; post-paid vs. pre-paid; no loyalty, auto-pay or referral rewards; more expensive US roaming add-ons; potential for incurring additional charges; etc.). Furthermore, switching to the offered Koodo plan by the March 15 deadline would forego the majority of the 90 days for which I was just billed on February 3rd. (I'll note in passing that the timing of the notice of this price increase relative to the billing cycle of this popular promotional plan appears far more intentional and predatory than coincidental.) The offered $100 credit does not even cover the combined cost of this lost usage plus the Koodo SIM plus tax, to say nothing of the inconvenience to me as a customer.

I am asking you to maintain the price of my current plan, as per our original agreement (highlighted above), for as long as I am an active customer. In lieu of this, I am asking you to offer a more satisfactory resolution. If such resolution is not offered and agreed upon by me within 48 hours, I will be elevating my complaint to both the CCTS and the Competition Bureau, with every intent of pursuing those complaints to their fullest extent, as this price increase would seem to me to be a blatant violation of consumer rights and expectations.

margot

Hi,

I'd like to address the price increase text I received today. When I signed up, Public Mobile indicated that the price would remain $120/90 days for the remainder of the plan; however, today I received a text indicating it would go up to $150/90 days.

This is counter to the published materials. Please confirm that this price increase doesn't apply as I signed up under those stated terms.

Thank you.

sirkdub

They ran the promotion very well in 2016. Signing up mass numbers of new subscribers. Then in a little bit over a year they want to flush out subs to post paid. Very well played scheme if it was all planned. If they don’t honor this plan I don’t plan to further give them my business. It’s not going to be Koodo or Telus and it just shows Honesty is the best way to do business. 

Scarlet

Keep flaming public/telus over this guys on all the socials. Their PR team will be forced to listen.

sbordun

I have received the same SMS with 10$ increase notification today.

Why I do not see any moderator's answer?

@Moderator_Team please explain us how you could resolve this unfair price increase?

Waiting for @Moderator_Team answer to fill complain to CCTS.

Notes:  CCTS requires from customers to try to resolve the conflict with the provider first.

mdobre

@kevin_camerawrote:

@peosteve

We're pissed because they are potentially targetting those who have lots of referral credits and not doing it for everyone across the board.

Not sure if it's already be said...  but I think they're targeting everyone that's on a $120/12G/90day plan.

I have the above mentioned plan; joined last July through the Freedom-port promotion. I have no referral credits, only the autopay discount, and I too have received the txt mssg notice of $10/30day increase.

I was looking forward to start receiving the "loyalty" discount but it looks like it will not be happening. Like everyone here, I too am very disappointed with Public Mobile's actions and if they're not reversing course I'll be looking to change carrier to someone other than the Telus family.

Rennerds

Hi Public Mobile,

I received a text from you earlier today stating that starting March 20, 2018, my current plan will increase from ($120/90 days) to ($150/90 days), which is a 25% increase. However, when I first signed up for this promo plan in Fall 2016 (12 GB data, unlimited provincial talk, unlimited text), you had claimed that as long as I am an active customer, my price plan will remain at $120, even after the initial 90 day period. 

I'm aware you provided an option to switch to Koodo and “keep the same price point” at $40/month and receive $100 in bill credits. However, this doesn’t account for how I would have to pay $15+ tax for a new SIM, have to upgrade to plan on tab to qualify for the credits (ie. pay more money for phone I don’t need) or take into account the loyalty and referrals discounts I have with Public Mobile. This Koodo switch offer is only available until March 15, 2018, but Public Mobile takes prepaid payments and my billing cycle doesn’t end until the end of April and there is no offer of a refund for the remainder of that month if I were to switch. This is highly unethical, considering how like you said, you are sister companies and at the end of the day Telus is the corporation that will benefit from this either way. (Fun fact, I was actually with Koodo before switching to Public Mobile and when I had asked Koodo for matching plan, they said no and now you guys want me to switch back?!)

I had also messaged the moderator team privately and only received a generic response that didn't answer my questions directly so I will be contacting CCTS. 

Regards,

Disappointed Customer

Edit: you responded saying that PM can change pricing under service terms at any time. However, this still contradicts what was promised at the time of sign-up. Hence, I still do not agree to this change.

winterzcoming

Hi @CS_Agent

To cite PM's official statement:

If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Like many others, I am unhappy about the recent price change for my plan. Though a plan with Koodo was offered, after keeping up with community discussions I understand that it is both more expensive and inferior to my current plan—even without rewards involved.  I chose to sign up for Public Mobile, because of this promise of no surprises.

I recently paid Public Mobile for my next 3 months of service with no knowledge of this increase. Switching to Koodo means I lose this money. This is unethical. The timing of this change, considering many affected customers signed up during the same timeframe (Fall Promo), means may customers are in similar situations. Public Mobile is taking away our promised service, our money, and not issuing refunds. 

Please consider this message a formal complaint against Public Mobile and your practices. If you do not contact me with a proposed resolution within 24 hours, I will escalate my complaint to the CCTS. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

xxJDxx

Here's to hoping the competition see's this enormous mistake and offers a comparable plan for those of us disgruntled with Telus and having no desire to continue to support them through Koodo. 

amallya

Garbage company with no call center and ZERO CUSTOMER SUPPORT is fecking people in the arse. 

Canadian Telecoms do this because of their monopoly, and 😉 😉 agreement with "competitors" to keep the same prices and same levels of service for a given fee. 

GARBAGE COMPANY should be giving me a FULL REFUND, AND FREE service until my 90 days are up for breaking their promise. 

Base

@mike390wrote:

PM should be  grandfathering plans instead of forcing customers to move to its sister company or suffer a 30% price hike.  Im submitting a complaint to the CCTS and anyone else who feels ripped off should do so as well:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/

YouYguys  youare crazy if youyou th I'm going move to koodo. I'll never deal with any Telus owned company again. You guys just got a world of bad PR and are going to lose alot of loyal customers. All because of $10 lol...

EDIT:

This is a also a violation of the Competition Act, bait and switch advertising

Fill out this form
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5

EDIT:

It's also insult to injury that PM waited until now to tell us. They know roughly most people signed up in November for the $40/4gb plan, so they also know that by telling us now that most of us have just renewed another 3 months very recently. They are hoping that we will all take a loss.  The $100 credit doesn't cover this because a koodo sim is $15, koodos plan is technically $3 more per month (since we lose our auto pay credit).

Proof of PM promising rates wont change (thanks @yo 😞

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Ive also saved the above link as a PDF to use as proof to backup my complaint, I suggest you guys do so as well. It will most likely be deleted....

If any of you do leave, I advise trying to get a chargeback fro myour credit card. By forcing you to switch early they are screwing you out of months. They say it's your choice, but it's really not because they are giving you us limited time offer, **bleep** that.

Also if you want to see a change, post threads about this on Reddit, mobilesyrup etc. 

Here's a good Reddit thread to upvote/comment on

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/7xszqt/public_mobile_increasing_404gb_data_plan_by_10/

Good post.  

I can't believe ppl would jump to Kodoo after this blatant lie of never getting a price increase ever.    At least when I was with Wind ( Freedom mobile now) my price never changed and I was with them since 2010 before the $120 plan.   

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@kav2001cwrote:

@ Everyone on the boards

Seriously why are you all starting your own topics? We have more than enough threads to whine about price increases

They need to have official evidence that they tried to file a complaint with Public, before CCTS will accept the complaint. They really should do PMing instead of opening new threads.

I do agree that the spam may be excessive, but I, on the other hand, also think that transparency is key, and that we do have a right to bring this issue into light and to hold people accountable. If nobody saw the backend, how would the public ever know that this was a large issue? It would just get brushed under the rug.

I think they brought this onto themselves without a proper communication plan and a viable customer management strategy.

ToniCipriani

@ute1978wrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@kav2001cwrote:

@ Everyone on the boards

Seriously why are you all starting your own topics? We have more than enough threads to whine about price increases

They need to have official evidence that they tried to file a complaint with Public, before CCTS will accept the complaint. They really should do PMing instead of opening new threads.

Then we will have like 10,000 new threads as many joined during the promo.

Welp... Public Mobile decided these very forums is there official communications channel. Not the customer's fault.

Kianoush

@CS_Agent

I originally signed up for Public Mobile service on a 90-day 12gb unlimited province-wide calling and unlimited nationwide texting.

This plan was advertised with the following language:
If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.
No caveats were added. No footnotes or references to terms and conditions were provided.

On February 15th 2018, I recieved a text message from Public Mobile stating that the company would be breaking this agreement.

I do not agree to this change. Please indicate how you plan to maintain my original price without me having to change carriers.

thank you.

Kianoush

Need Help? Let's chat.