cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

89alucas
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Greetings, @Moderator_Team,

Messages are being sent out stating that the $120 90 day plan with 12 GB of data will be increased by $30. However, I've seen by multiple other community members that we were promised our plans would never increase as long as we were active members. This is outrageous and demand that promises be upheld!

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, it's ironic - all the people complaining in this thread will likely bump themselves into a higher community reward.  Lol.

I was here back when the Siren plans were $28 (?) and included unlimited data, music streaming, and US calling

They even had extra promo credits each month to offset hardware purchases (despite being prepaid somehow they could offer us phones)

@rita_fuchswrote:

I remember when PM used to be 35$ for unlimited data, texts and canada calls... with a customer service.Then it went to 40$ for 4gig, unlimited texts and province calls... which was a bit frustrating, but not so bad at the end, because you had a better reception and then the rewards came in, which were nice... but now 50$ for what, the same 4gigs (12 on 90 days), calls and texts? Is that how they say thank you for staying that long with them?

WearySky

@HSuewrote:

I paid my three month fee in mid-February 2018. If I switch to Kooda voluntarily, I lose my prepayments.  Ouch!!!!  I think this business practice should be reported to the BBB.

This is why they're also giving everybody a $100 bill credit for transferring over.

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@da_guy2wrote:

For anyone that's just renewed. If you cancel PM are required to repay you for any portion of your payment unued from the moment you cancel with the. From the CCTS code:

Annotation: WSPs must provide pro-rated refunds for cancelled services Context: Many post-paid customers have complained about some WSPs not cancelling their service upon request. Issue: CCTS has seen two different scenarios when customers call to cancel their service:

1. The WSP explains to the customer that it will cancel the service on that day but since the customer has already paid in advance for the entire month of service, it will not refund the customer for the days in which (s)he didn’t use the service. So the WSP encourages the customer to stay until the end of the month and some customers do end up doing this, to avoid paying for wireless services with two providers; or

2. The WSP cancels the service on the day that the customer requests to cancel. But then the customer receives his/her bill and realizes that even though the WSP cancelled service, it continued to charge for services for the rest of the bill cycle. The customer complains to us after (s)he realizes that the WSP will not refund the pro-rated fees for the days in which (s)he didn’t have service.

Our comments: The CRTC clarified in Telecom Decision 2016-171 that WSPs are not only required to cancel the wireless services on the day they receive a cancellation request from the customer, but they must not continue to charge the customer for services (s)he does not receive. In addition, it clarifies that the WSPs are required to provide pro-rated refunds for the days when the customer didn’t use the services.4

As far as I know, this only relates to post-paid, not pre paid.

As pm customer we all should stay with pm we have a month to discuss this don't rush peoples to koodo yet. We still need answers here. 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

HSue

I paid my three month fee in mid-February 2018. If I switch to Kooda voluntarily, I lose my prepayments.  Ouch!!!!  I think this business practice should be reported to the BBB.

methyl

By the way, the $100 credit on Koodo is not for paying monthly balance but only for Tab (buying a new phone from Koodo that you'd need to buy to utilize credit) or potentially for extra add-ons 

@ChopstickHero oh and do not forget overages

Koodo charges $7 for 100MB

Here on Public with 90 days we get 0 overages

@ChopstickHerowrote:

To most of us, it is more expensive. I'm paying sub-$30/mo right now. Switching to Koodo will make it $40/mo... so yes, it is more expensive and I'll be paying more.

methyl

@da_guy2wrote:

For anyone that's just renewed. If you cancel PM are required to repay you for any portion of your payment unued from the moment you cancel with the. From the CCTS code:

That is only for post-paid service. For prepaid service there's no prorating. 

@RLBL it is tailored to catch the Fall promo renewals

Only the Freedom takeover renewals are offset

convolutionx

Simple answer to pm. 

I AM NOT MOVING TO KOODO I DONT WANT TOO.  

IF I PURCHASE TICKEY FOR DISNEY WORLD DISNEY PPLS CANT SEND ME SEA WORLD. SIMPLE IS THAT. 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Moderator_Team,

This is a formal request to resolve this matter before I submit a complaint to CCTS.

You sent the following text today, February 15, 2018 at 1:19 PM PT:

"Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days"

The text continues with incitement to switch to Koodo to receive a $100 credit and a $40/mo rate plan. I was also only given until March 15th to redeem the Koodo offer. However, on behalf of my wife who was charged on February 10, 2018 for 3 months of service in advance, ending in May.

I was also told that my plan & rate would be retained as long as my account remains active. This is now no longer the case. I understand prices go up sometimes. I understand that companies make changes, but this is disgusting. This is very poor customer service, and this would be the first time I have submitted a CCTS complaint.

Awaiting reply.

moodyak

It's too bad that we did. No surprises right?

89alucas

I haven't yet gotten the message but I'm anticipating it, and super pissed all the while. Greedy suits can't affored their summer homes anymore or what? We were all promised that our promo price would not increase as long as we were active customers. I expect promises to be upheld. Phone companies have zero class. Shameful really. I filed a complaint as well. Maybe Fido or Virgin will have better offers than Koodo?

da_guy2

Annotation: WSPs must provide pro-rated refunds for cancelled services Context: Many post-paid customers have complained about some WSPs not cancelling their service upon request. Issue: CCTS has seen two different scenarios when customers call to cancel their service:

1. The WSP explains to the customer that it will cancel the service on that day but since the customer has already paid in advance for the entire month of service, it will not refund the customer for the days in which (s)he didn’t use the service. So the WSP encourages the customer to stay until the end of the month and some customers do end up doing this, to avoid paying for wireless services with two providers; or

2. The WSP cancels the service on the day that the customer requests to cancel. But then the customer receives his/her bill and realizes that even though the WSP cancelled service, it continued to charge for services for the rest of the bill cycle. The customer complains to us after (s)he realizes that the WSP will not refund the pro-rated fees for the days in which (s)he didn’t have service.

Our comments: The CRTC clarified in Telecom Decision 2016-171 that WSPs are not only required to cancel the wireless services on the day they receive a cancellation request from the customer, but they must not continue to charge the customer for services (s)he does not receive. In addition, it clarifies that the WSPs are required to provide pro-rated refunds for the days when the customer didn’t use the services.4

jpr3

You should receive one soon. It appears that they send these messages in different batches.

JFYI, here is the original text message:

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for . Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

chrism604

2018-02-15.png

Why did we ever believe this **bleep**?

computer

Main CRTC site for complaint information: CRTC
CCTS website: CCTS

Spread the information, with enough complaints perhaps something can be done.

sara06

I think those who decide to stay and have referrals can save I doubt it. All your referrals will leave

smanickam

This article on mobilesyrup.com suggests that PM will be discontinuing the 12GB/120$ for 90 day plan: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/15/public-mobile-subscribers-40-4gb-price-plan-koodo/

I never got a text message about it, and if this is true, I would like to switch to koodo.  How do I go about doing that?

If I stay with PM will my plan go up by 30$?  When will this happen?

Pm just want yo get rid of reward feature. They shouldn't started this reward option  if they can' keep up their words. 

yyzguy

This is outrageous.

Just moved a friend to Public a month ago. With this 25% increase, I’m completely soured on both Public and any Telus company. You were supposed to be different. You broke your word.

Let’s get the message out .. time to switch out to a competitor entirely. 

The Koodo plan doesn’t have unlimited minutes as it’s only certain hours and (ultimate insult) they want you to pay for a SIM card.

Short sighted decision that has cost your reputation and repelled the very customers you attracted initially. 

Come back with a better offer as likely many of us aren’t enthusiastic about going to a sister brand where we will be subject to the same broken promises. 

rita_fuchs

I remember when PM used to be 35$ for unlimited data, texts and canada calls... with a customer service.Then it went to 40$ for 4gig, unlimited texts and province calls... which was a bit frustrating, but not so bad at the end, because you had a better reception and then the rewards came in, which were nice... but now 50$ for what, the same 4gigs (12 on 90 days), calls and texts? Is that how they say thank you for staying that long with them?

jeffster1970

Yeah, with discounts due to loyalty rewards, PM is better. Believe me, I know. I was at $108 for my $120 plan. 

Unsure if legally loyalty rewards are part of a CCTS complaint. 

Gimli
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Samianaumanwrote:

After checking bunch of topics. I agreed With all of them. When we signup condition was crstal clear as long line stay active prices will stay same. 

My brother is with fm and holding a 7 or 8 years old plan still paying same price for the plan. How can pm change price like that. 

Few months back they offered 12gb plan to all freedom customer to get more business now they hiking all the prices. Sorry not acceptable really disappointed. We all invest so much time and support to this forum. We don't deserve this. Period   

I too was on a Freedom plan - unlimited everything for 29$

the ONLY reason i left was I was explicited told the price would not change as long as I stayed active.  Lying is not legal - especially when there is significant finacial hardhip that comes of it.

Ill say again - as far as I am concerned... a text msg is not appropriate notice.

Also - PM has never made such a large price increase ever.  I think (hope) this text is a HUGE misunderstanding.

jeffster1970

@ChopstickHerowrote:
That's a really interesting point you make, granted it's all speculation and assuming this is the case. But still doesn't legally absolve them from the point where in their own terms of service says as long as you're an active customer, they won't increase your plan price. However, if they said "PM is shutting down" then we can't do much about it. However, they have not stated they are.

So that is their gamble. If the CCTS says they're doing something wrong, then they'll simply shut down Public Mobile altogether.  However, I think their argument would probably solid enough to keep the CCTS happy. Namely, that the parent company has offered something better for the same price.

If you look at the value brands for Rogers (Chatr) and Bell (Lucky Mobile), they, well, kinda suck, for various reasons compared to PM. Now PM can migrate people with the same great service as Telus to Koodo and have a true value brand like PM.  Everyone knows that PM offers much better services than either Chatr or Lucky. I really think PM will be the same as Chatr and Lucky in a short time. 

Bell=Prime, Virgin=Value, Lucky=Less for less

Rogers=Prime, Fido=Value, Chatr=Less for less

Telus=Prime, Koodo=Value, Public Mobile=Less for less

Freedom=Prime (in some locations), Value (in some locations) and Less for less (in some locastions)

ERICJIANG

IMG_2002.JPG

For others who are going to complain to ccts, this is what they told me before I switch to PM

pakmode

@staticcorywrote:

@Samianaumanwrote:

Agreed. What's the benefit of being loyal customer. If koodo can offer 40 bucks 4gb then how come pm can't. 

This is honestly interesting. Telus owns them all. How come koodo can afford to offer the $40/4gb plan, but PM can't, and they have no call centre, therefore far less overhead costs. They are just trying to force people to move over to koodo, by increasing their prices outrageously, giving the consumer no other choice but to move over. And once you're at koodo, who knows what'll happen.

I feel like this was the lesser of two evils for them. In my opinion, they want to get rid of the rewards program altogether, because in reality, that's the only difference between the koodo and PM migration plan. But that would cause far more outrage, as people have been gaining rewards far longer than have been on this fall promo.

I truly urge everyone to hold on, and don't rush into migrating yet. You still have a month. A lot can happen in a month.

The reason is actually very simple.

To shareholders and investors - Postpaid users and the Average Revenue Per Unit they bring in is more valuable then Prepaid users. 

Alot of the Quarterly Metrics that Analysts rate a company on are based on Postpaid subscribers.  That is why Telus is trying to move Prepaid users up to Postpaid because it looks prettier. 

Need Help? Let's chat.