cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If everyone switched to freedom mobile I bet you telus would freak out since all the promos have been targetted at freedom. Even the $60 10gb plan was targetting freedom.

dennchipp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kav2001cwrote:

@dennchipp it is irrelevant since that discussion is not part of your agreement

They could have written anything they wanted to

So long as they warn you in advance (done) it is now up to you if you agree to take the increase or no

@kav2001c you're probably right that they can get away with it - that's why I'll switch.  And it's not a huge amount of money either (and it's still a good deal relative to the market).  But my point was that Public Mobile said one thing to advertise their plan/agreement, and then had provision in that plan/agreement which allowed them to directly do the opposite of what was said in the advertising; and they exercised that provision relatively quickly after the agreement was finalized.  That is how you classify false advertising.  Maybe you're allowed to do that - and I figure you are - but I do think it's worth pointing out a lie whether or not it's relevant to recourse.

remik

jeffster1970

• If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

I'm going to throw this out there. 

The way I see this, Telus wants to migrate customers over to Koodo.  And it certainly, legally, looks like PM *might be* doing something wrong here.  However, since the three companies (Telus, Koodo and PM) are all under the umbrella, Telus can tell the CCTS that there is no ill will here, as they offered to move customers over to an equivalent brand for the exact same price -- $40 per month for 4GB and unlimited Canada-wide calling. In fact, they could state that this plan is better than the previous because of Canada wide, and technically you're getting an addtional 5 days of service. PM's service only last's 360 days, not a full 12 months. 

That is how they get around it. 

rita_fuchs

Aslo, I wrote to them and this was the reply I got when I asked them how I could keep my plan without loosing what I have : 
3.JPG

NuXPeR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It’s clear from all the hate that I’ve been reading in this thread that this move will absolutely destroy Public Mobile, and I honestly think that’s what Telus wants. But let’s ensure that it also destroys the reputation of Telus as well, as obviously this is a move that has been orchestrated by them! 

Nomad

So after switching to KoDoo, how long will they wait to jack up the "$40" price? One month? Two months? The jokes on me for falling for that one AGAIN. 

ChopstickHero

@rita_fuchswrote:

We should make a complaint all together. Anybody knows any tool to do so?

Yes, go here http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kav2001cwrote:

Moderators are censoring posts / topics now

Not surprised but really not cool

Are you saying members are being limited in their freedom of speech?

Teedo

This makes me want to switch my Cable/Internet over to shaw... You made one PO'd customer here PM/TELUS.... you mother truckers.

remik

Guys, let's get this trending!!! Like, retweet, whatever!!!

https://twitter.com/RemikEsq/status/964251630219735040?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5E...

#MakeUsAnOfferWeCantRefuse

#ScrewPublic

prasprime
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi PM Family.

I got atleast 5-10 sim cards with me to refer my friends. I am on $120/12GB/90Days plan.

Today, I got message saying my plain is going to increse by $30 altogther. This is ridiculous.

I already refered a bunch of people. Now I am forced to swith to Koodo to keep the plan. 

I will lose all my referrals. That Sucks. I also got 5-10 sim cards what can i do with those? 

Just trash it? PM is evel as Telus. I guess, Telus is probably going to Kill Public Mobile.

@CS_Agent Can i return my sim cards which are unused  ? 

Pharmamitch

This is garbage. Thanks for waiting until 2 days after I renew my plan to send me the most disappointing text I’ve gotten in a while.  I fought hard to get this plan! Pick locations for SIM cards ran out within a few hours and there were crazy line ups and I didn’t get one there so I ended up paying someone on Craigslist just to get this friggin plan!! I left Rogers after being with them for 10 years!! Extremely disappointing!

rita_fuchs

We should make a complaint all together. Anybody knows any tool to do so?

v3nice

@Kevin0115wrote:

I'm sure many of you just received a text from PM about the $120 90-day Promotional Plan (with 12gb data) being increased to $150 per 90 day period.

They also mentioned that Koodo is offering the "same" $40/month (4gb/month) plan if you switch?

Eagerly looking for opinions on what to do? I know Koodo operates on the same towers Telus/Bell operate, but I've heard less-than-positive reviews about Koodo. Do you think it's worth it to switch ove to Koodo, or just pay the $50/month?

I don't think they will honour it. probably the same price hike will happen after you switch!

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

The excuse of price increase because call centers cost them money and wanting to move everything online is no longer valide, since we never had any access to the call center anyway. 

The worst is the fact that PM is not even announcing it on the forum and just increased the prices of the majority of their plan holders, since most just joined because of the 120/90 days promo .

There is no reason at all to join PM now if you are increasing by 10$/month, there is no point of rewards, refering people of participating anymore if the increase just blows all rewards together. My decision to slowing down on the community appears to have been the right decision. now I might as well just now show up anymore, because there is no point anymore 

Pharmamitch

This is garbage. Thanks for waiting until 2 days after I renew my plan to send me the most disappointing text I’ve gotten in a while.  I fought hard to get this plan! Pick locations for SIM cards ran out within a few hours and there were crazy line ups and I didn’t get one there so I ended up paying someone on Craigslist just to get this friggin plan!! I left Rogers after being with them for 10 years!! Extremely disappointing!

alirazaa

I Signed up for the $120/90days for 12 GB LTE data back in 2016 Fall Promo told explicitly that there will no changes to the price of the plan as long as I remain an active customer with an active account. I was notified today through text message that this price will increase $10/month, or switch to Koodo to retain the plan.

I have renewed my service last week and today i got a text notifying me to switching over to Koodo. I want Public mobile to explain this and i want my money back for the next two month of the service i have already payed to Public mobile.

I am giving Public Mobile 7 days of notice starting from today, If i dont hear anything from Public mobile by Friday morning than i will submit a complaint to CCTS.

AR

Nomad

This is disgusting business practice. The only reason I signed up with Public Mobile was that single line "This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises." 

I'm going to wait and see how the "Competition" reacts to this one. After this fiasco, why in the world would I transfer to Kodoo? 

P.S. I will never recommend Telus or any of its companies to anyone ever again. 

ChopstickHero

Yes, I submitted a complaint essentially quoting this text and sending in the screenshot below.

233x414.jpg

Also bait-and-switch is defined as: "the action of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

laurentjs

I'm in the same situation. Will I get a pro-rated refund if I switch to Koodo as they suggest?

remik

remik

achao

Fido is Robers, I mean Rogers.  As a matter or principle, I don't want to give Rogers any more money than absolutely necessary.  I had Koodo before Public Mobile, my experience wasn't bad.  Except the amount of data I had with them was paltry.  

Is Freedom usable now?  I remember for the longest time, the joke was "Freedom mobile's unlimited is great, because it frees you from using your phone, cause you can't ever load anything."

Kevin0115

I'm sure many of you just received a text from PM about the $120 90-day Promotional Plan (with 12gb data) being increased to $150 per 90 day period.

They also mentioned that Koodo is offering the "same" $40/month (4gb/month) plan if you switch?

Eagerly looking for opinions on what to do? I know Koodo operates on the same towers Telus/Bell operate, but I've heard less-than-positive reviews about Koodo. Do you think it's worth it to switch ove to Koodo, or just pay the $50/month?

polo2392

This is Bull.... I just renewed for 90 days.... So waht now i loose my 120 and I am forced to go with Koodo....... What a rip PM ... 

Radeonic

Yep this is just an extremely bad move from Telus, if this isn't proof for what the Big 3 is screwing us over, then we're all blind.

Telus/PM really need to reverse this change ASAP!

kwong

I'm not a pioneer/legacy customer (as far as I can tell) but I still received a text about the price change and the offer to switch to Koodo.

I don't have access to the call centre service--so why am I being bumped from my original plan? I'm paying $120 every three months now.

If my plan is scheduled to be adjusted, should it already reflect on my account? Cos right now I'm still seeing $120 (for every three months).

Thanks for your help!

jzmtl

Adding insult to the injury, here's what others have found in Koodo's fine print

Here is the fine print from Koodo when I try to use their promo code.
  • Roaming rates apply outside of Canada. Included data does not roll over at the end of each month.
  • Includes international text messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Availability of service will vary by country and is subject to change without notice. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages. Additional data charges apply depending on picture size when roaming in the U.S. and internationally. Picture messaging is supported by BlackBerry smartphone with a SIM card only if a BlackBerry is added to a Koodo plan or a Koodo data plan is chosen. Picture messaging works only if data is turned on.
  • Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.
  • Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents with Manitoba & Saskatchewan area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
  • Rate plan available for Quebec residents with Quebec area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
  • Calls must be made and completed within Canada. Applies to calls made between phones on the same account.
The requirements to get the $100 credit:
  • Subject to credit approval.
  • While supplies last.
  • Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer.
  • Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The system is going to be a complete mess and with so many bugs. Poor PM Mods who have to manually straighten the accounts out.

How will PM implement this? Prorate the plan increase? I don't think there is much capacity in programming the increase.

The easiest was to implement the changes is at renewal date.

Need Help? Let's chat.