cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@j1 it is not legal if that is what you mean

Prepay service can be changed at any time

For someone who just signed up maybe could argue get a few extra months

Those who signed up a year ago no chance

methyl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Doubt you can combine Koodo $50 refer credit with this "amazing promotion"

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kav2001cwrote:

@Watoko Freedom 4G is not even close to Big3 4G

In certain areas at certain times you can get decent speeds (assuming you are using a Freedom B66 phone anything else and sorry)

They have a list of cities where upgrades are complete but most are far away, places like Newmarket or Milton or Peterborough etc (those of us in the GTA)

Also note that despite data improvement, voice is still carried over crappy AWS 3G. So no service poor signal etc. 

As a Tablet plan ($15 for 4GB) I would endorse Freedom. As a primary line not so much...

Thanks for the insight! Helps! Seems like my options are still very limited 😕

jordanharris01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's just ridiculous that they stated that this plan wouldn't change..."No surprises" they dais.. and yet here we are 😕

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

It is really unfortunate that PM decided to go this way, it doesnt seem like there will ever be a real competition in Canada or good plans for us costumers. I mean there have been increases on everyone's plans, but a 30$ price increase is too much .

If freedom mobile comes up with good plans then I am moving there. 

@kav2001c 

Yes, i know shaw has it now.    Let's see when they do it, or keep the promise to old time customers.  

At least they arent increase the price so quickly(so huge) like public mobile.  

A $10 per 30 days increase on a plan that comes out to $40/30 days?  I know that companies can charge whatever they want, but I'm almost certain that I will not be sticking around.  And I can promise you that I won't be going to over to Koodo postpaid.  I would pass any Koodo credit check just fine but honestly, I refuse to be on postpaid because of the opportunity for the carrier to charge me more than the monthly advertised prices for overages.

I haven't (yet) received this text, but if I do, I'll  probably be leaving shortly. 

j1

@aumitchewrote:

I don't know about you, but I would definitely call this a surprise.Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 14.41.30.png

Does this protect us in any way? Or is it just meaningless words?

methyl

40/month + 40/month + 15(Koodo sim card) = $95 for two months

+ tax = $107.35. So $100 credit does not cover first two months. So if you're losing 2 months of prepaid service then this credit does not even cover the losses. Very bad PR for Telus. 

Plus let's remember "no surprises" line!large.jpg

Surprise!!!!!

jonproject

The Koodo offer is hot garbage. I'm going to ride it out with PM for the short term until one of the following happens:

1. All the complaints to the regulatory bodies result in PM pulling back on this.

2. A better offer comes from a provider that isn't a Telus sub.

It was fun while it lasted, but we really shouldn't be surprised when Telus gets involved. I look forward to the day there is real competition in this country and Telus goes under. 

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well...there's always Freedom.  It's *slowly* improving. I have their $15/4GB data plan...just for when they're good get enough and perhaps I can bail on Koodo because I'm been a Freedom customer for like 6 years, or whenever they came out in Kitchener. Unless, the Koodo plan is hard to beat, even by Freedom. 

ryanmobile

publicmobile.jpg

Bullet 3

yo

Right here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Blatent false advertsing. I will also be submitting a complaint to the CRTC.

Before you guys all jump on the bandwagon, get someone already ported to Koodo to refer you

That way you get the Public $100 migration credit + the Koodo $50 refer credit

Just sayin

Watoko

@boldventurewrote:

$100 credit is only the FIRST bill which is $40+tax. So what happened to the balance of more than $50? I had $150 credit before when I was in Koodo and you can only apply credits on phone not on your monthly payment

Submit a complaint to CCTS (https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/) and hope for better compensation.

remik

Guys, time to hit Twitter so it gets more public attention!! #ForkYouPublicMobile ??

@Watoko Freedom 4G is not even close to Big3 4G

In certain areas at certain times you can get decent speeds (assuming you are using a Freedom B66 phone anything else and sorry)

They have a list of cities where upgrades are complete but most are far away, places like Newmarket or Milton or Peterborough etc (those of us in the GTA)

Also note that despite data improvement, voice is still carried over crappy AWS 3G. So no service poor signal etc. 

As a Tablet plan ($15 for 4GB) I would endorse Freedom. As a primary line not so much...

ute1978

I know PM Mods are condemned to stay quiet, but at least PM Mods read through the feedback. I see @MarieHelene_L

protege2k

For anyone pissed about losing their referral credits - in all likelihood, those folks will probably be switching anyway so you are destined to lose those credits. So don’t bank on your referral credits staying. Those folks must still be active PM accounts. 

RCUELLO

I also encourage people not to take the Koodoo offer. Lets switch carriers.

jasonhpchu

If we switch to Koodo online, when does the cut off happen between the old sim and new sim?

I'm assuming the new sim gets mailed out?

boldventure

$100 credit is only the FIRST bill which is $40+tax. So what happened to the balance of more than $50? I had $150 credit before when I was in Koodo and you can only apply credits on phone not on your monthly payment

ryanmobile

Exactly how I feel! I spent so much time getting referrals and now they will probably leave as well. I filled out a complaint.

Freedom has made changes at least twice that I am aware of

Now with Shaw in control expect more @MoreYummy

@MoreYummywrote:

freedom would honor their legacy plan since day one.  Alot better ethic than PM's tactic.  

Pretty sure many jump over from their old plan, now public mobile increase their rate so quickly.  So they must be upset, feel cheated. 

Watoko

@kav2001cwrote:

@Watoko Freedom still sucks. Spotty coverage, poor data speeds.

Just as an FYI for anyone looking to switch, FREEDOM HAS SECRET PLANS too! Don't get suckered into the plans listed on website. Just sayin, do your research and.... Cat Wink

@Watokowrote:

@RyanRFwrote:

Before we all jump ship, we should wait a few days to see if other carriers offer similar plans to entice us over. 

I'll go to any company (except Freedom) offering a similar deal.

Why not Freedom? I am curious as that is one that I am looking into. Never been a Freedom customer, only Koodo and PM.

Even with their 4G network? I just didn't know if all the past generalizations from their 3G network still applied.

Anaron

This is very disappointing. I guess Koodo's offer is the next best thing. You still lose out on spreading your data usage across 3 months. I'm glad I jumped ship to get the $60/10GB plan with Telus.

Vanterax

I'm out.  Public Mobile, you're not worth it.  And the word of mouth will change.

Simonw

It's not the same... At all. You don't get loyalty discounts or friend discounts. Lots of us worked hard to get friends and family on board for major discounts... Only to have the rug pulled under us.

This is garbage.

@jeffster1970 From the post, it seems include everyone who has the 12GB/90 days plan.  Unless public mobile clarify.

Need Help? Let's chat.