cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g network

brosimpson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What's the download speed on Public Mobile 3g network? 

5 REPLIES 5

@GR wrote:

@superhamster  that's because the lte is throttled to 3mbps and the 3g is not.  Like you said it can be faster sometimes up to 18mbps but sometimes the 3g network is so congested with phone calls and other people using data that it slows right down to almost nothing so then lte is better 

HSPA+ can actually go quite a bit higher than that. I've actually gone as high as 35Mbps, but that requires pretty much perfect network conditions.  LTE does seem to be more capacity efficient.

@superhamster  that's because the lte is throttled to 3mbps and the 3g is not.  Like you said it can be faster sometimes up to 18mbps but sometimes the 3g network is so congested with phone calls and other people using data that it slows right down to almost nothing so then lte is better 

superhamster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Kind of weird but if I disable LTE on my iPhone and force data to 3G only, my download and upload speed is twice as fast as on LTE. I've done speed tests at various times during the day to confirm. 

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Same as Telus/bell 

With public you have the option of using full speed 3g or throttled lte 

Here is copy from the small print off a plan you can find in plans section

4 - Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 900 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-250 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/WirelessVideoExperience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required. Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB. Data service on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

On HSPA+, expect typical speeds around 10-20 mbits/s download.  If you are referring to the speed of the LTE throttling on the "3G speed plans", the throttle limit is 3 mbits/s. 

Need Help? Let's chat.