cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g, 4g or LTE?

victorbell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new PM user from Oakville Ontario. I have activated the service today using my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7. Regrettably, after the activation, I found that my phone informing me that I connected to 3g and not to LTE service. Speed Test have shown the download speed around 9Mbps and upload around 1.2Mbps. Network Signal Info App shows me that I connected to HSPA+ and not LTE service. I traveled on QEW from Trafalgar Rd to 3rd Line but nothing changed... HSPA+ and very slow Speed Test Results. Does Public Mobile provide real LTE signal everywhere and in particular in Oakville?

Thank you for your answers in advanced!

32 REPLIES 32

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you buy a new 3G plan, you will get unthrottled LTE speeds for about 48 hours.  I was getting 10-15 Mbps in the first couple of days and burned up a lot of data using speedtest in the first few days.

After 48 hours, you will still be on the LTE network (you can see the symbol on your device) but the speed of the LTE is throttled down to 3Mbps.

On your phone, you can go into settings and force it to choose LTE (recommended), 3G or 2G (at least on my Nexus 5).  I have read some people say that setting it to 3G may give you overall faster speeds than the throttled LTE.  I have tested it and based upon my limited testing this does not seem to be true.  Under 3G, I got about 3Mbps download and 1.5Mbps upload.  Under LTE, I got 3Mbps download and 3Mbps upload.  So, I am going to just leave my device setting to LTE. YMMV depending upon where you are.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alan_K here's yet another customer that's confused by PM's "3G" data plan naming.  Please get your team to change it to something less confusing.  Fair warnging:  I intend to continue taggomg you on every such thread I encounter until the naming has been changed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Bubbly100
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have 3G speed from my plan but on my iPhone 8, I have enabled LTE (4G) so from what I have read online it is still 3G but with better connection because I have LTE (4G) enabled. Speeds seem great to me though! 

@TIANRUI wrote:

I referred many friends, but many of them see the speed is 3G, so they refued to use it though it's price is great. but the actual speed looks like 4G according to the signal sign. and it is very fast actually.

@TIANRUI  This PM article explains the difference. Hope it helps.

TIANRUI

I referred many friends, but many of them see the speed is 3G, so they refued to use it though it's price is great. but the actual speed looks like 4G according to the signal sign. and it is very fast actually.

@TIANRUI wrote:

If the it shows 4G on the up-right of the phone signal sign. Does that mean the actual speed is 4g?

@TIANRUI  Your question was answered in the other thread. Why post twice?

TIANRUI

If the it shows 4G on the up-right of the phone signal sign. Does that mean the actual speed is 4g?

@TIANRUI  they actualy throtle down the lte to 3g speed

@TIANRUI wrote:

I am using $15/month plan, which is 3G speed. I don't know why the sign on the up-right on my phone shows 4G. Does that mean the actual speed is 4G?

@TIANRUI  It means that it is connected to the LTE network but you are throttled down to 3G speed which is 3Mbps.

TIANRUI

I am using $15/month plan, which is 3G speed. I don't know why the sign on the up-right on my phone shows 4G. Does that mean the actual speed is 4G?

@destiny2204Can you elaborate the exact steps you took? and What kind of phone are you using? Without knowing which steps, It might be easiest just backup your data and reset your phone to factory conditions and try again.

destiny2204
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I have done this step and I want to reset back to its default settings. Can you pls tell me how? After doing the steps, my 4g have became unstable or lets say my mobile data connection has became unstable after doing your provided steps.

Ig
I just signed up for a new 3-g plan with 12+6 Gig of data for 3 month
My APN settings are correct and I'm not connecting.
Phone & text are working
I used this same phone for their 4G service for 3 months unfortunately the data was disappearing way too fast like over two gigs in one and a half hour while not even using the phone.

KMR
This is very helpful. I got LTE + signal after choosing the right band selection... many thanks! No more 3g!

Leafs_win

Hey, 

I am glad that things worked out well for you. On a negative note (don't mean to be a debbie downer) I would be cautious about downloading apps such as you described. The reason is that the apps can sometimes have spyware that can for example track your key strokes or track your web browsing history. They can then sell this data to marketers. 

As the saying goes, there is no free lunch. The coding to switch networks is relatively simply and should be available in your phone's OS. I am not saying that your app has spyware, but I am saying that you should consider the possibility. 

Cheers.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire
Look into changing your phone's CSC. Beware this procedure will reset your phone to factory defaults.

CSC code changes default functionality on Samsung phones for different carriers and countries. Look up the proper code to change from Wind to Telus or Koodo or PM.

1. Launch your phone’s dialer, and type in the following code, and replace the IMEI text via your phone’s IMEI number. “*#272*Phone’s IMEI Here#”

2. Your phone will automatically pop up a screen, with some fancy codes all over it. Don’t freak out yet.

3. You will notice some codes with a radio button beside each and every one of it. These are the CSC codes that your galaxy device supports.

4. All you need to do is select the one code that fancies you, and head over back to home.

5. Now, your device will automatically restart, and factory reset itself.

w1ck3d64

Hi All,

I ported over an unlocked Wind Samsung Galaxy S7 and I had the same issues as most people (stuck at WCDMA/GSM). I downloaded the app "4G LTE Switcher" from the Play Store and put the setting to "LTE/GSM (PRL)" which fixes the problem (so that it can go on 3G if LTE is not available). Setting it to "LTE Only" would kill my signal and put the phone in "Emergency Calls Only" mode.

Hopefully this helps you guys out!

Leafs_win

Hey all, 

Problem: Used the post above to access 4G LTE, but lost ability to send/recieve phone calls

Preface: I recently ported my Samsung Note 4 over to Public Mobile from Wind.

This post was very helpful to me for accessing the 4G LTE network, however, after dialing *#2263# I did not have the option of LTE/WCDMA/GSM. Rather I had to pick two out of the 3. I believe that Telus has all 3 types of networks so choosing only two would be less that ideal.

What I did was set my preference for LTE and that did the trick. However, doing so did not allow me to recieve phone calls (but voicemail runs on LTE so that's how I figured it out). 

To solve both the LTE and call issue I re-entered *#2263# and selected Automatic.

This allowed me to call my confused uncle back. When I tried to explain what happened, he was less than interested. 

victorbell

Look on messages 9-11

I have used this app. Unfortunately, you are going to lose all new settings after a reboot and have to apply them again. It is the temporary solution.

Krishna

Now after boring you with all the detail, you probably want to know if there is a simpler solution... well there is one. I found a 4G switcher app on the playstore by BaseMobi which can switch between GSM, CDMA, WCDMA, LTE, etc bands instantly so long as your phone has supported bands and of course your carrier has those bands. I used this app the entire time when I was back home so I could have LTE. Now it's the same story, activated my PM sim and only had 3G internet... redownloaded the app, selected the option for the phone to switch between LTE and GSM and voala, I know have LTE again on my phone

Krishna
Solution for phone's with LTE radio bands that don...
Go check it out

victorbell

Update1: Maybe the problem was solved and this information will be useful for switchers from Wind network that own Samsung phones.

1 Dial *#2263# (RF Band Selection) from your Phone Dialer. ServiceMode menu should be opened.
2 Choose option Band Selection
3 Choose LTE/WCDMA/GSM option
4 Choose LTE/WCDMA/GSM Auto option
5 Choose More in the right upper corner.
6 Choose Back
7 Choose Back
8 Choose End

Restart the phone. Wait some time and LTE connection should appear.

Enjoy.

No problems keeping the settings after a restart on the phone.

Disclaimer: PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ANY INFORMATION YOU MAY FIND IN THIS POST MAY BE INACCURATE, MISLEADING, DANGEROUS FOR YOUR PHONE.

USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK

victorbell

You are absolutely right. Reboot reset new setting back. LTE was removed by Wind that I used before switching. I am looking for permanent solution. I will contact Samsung and will update.

Thank you again!

Update: You can turn on LTE choosing LTE only in 4g Switcher to get LTE data available but... it will void your voice. It is really ridiculous what Wind has done to my device!

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@victorbell What carrier were you with before you ported over? Wind?

I checked your model number and it looks like your phone supports all the right frequencies for LTE coverage. However, depending on which carrier you were with before, the firmware might have the LTE option removed in software.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/compatibility/9YqWiAl/samsung-sm-g930w8-galaxy-s7-td-lte-samsung-hero...

If this is the case, you will have to follow @Luddite's guide to turn it on manually, but the downside is the setting is lost on reboot. @Luddite@ Great find

Any other method to have LTE show up in the menus, so you don't have to manually change it all the time, would most likely result in a factory reset (you will lose the information and settings on the phone).

victorbell

Thank you Luddite! Use the 4G LTE Switch app. Everythin looks normal right now. May be very useful for new customers that come from Wind Network. 

Thank you again!

meekju1339
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I go to oakville often and I always have LTE coverage. It must be an apn setting for you. I have an iphone so mine is set automatically 

This ref helped someone else: S7 Data

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

victorbell

The Problem that under Network Mode I have just WCDMA+GSM(auto connect) mode. The model is SM-G930W8 

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you go into your Settings => Mobile Networks => Network Mode, what option is enabled? You should have an LTE/WCDMA/GSM(Auto Connect) option and it should be checked. If you don't have an option with LTE in it, please give us the model number of your phone.

Thanks.

victorbell

Than you for your replay!

My APN settings looks perfectly fine....

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: blank
Port: blank
Username:blank
Password:blank
Server:blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220