cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.92 GB data used by email in one day

asaxton
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I didn't think there was any way I'd ever use anywhere close to 4.5GB of data considering I'm used to 1GB per month. I was flabbergasted to receive a msg a week into my billing cycle that I'd used 90% of my data! My data usage there was 3.92 GB used by email on one day! How can that be?? 

13 REPLIES 13

@asaxtonI don't know a lot of the details but I know one thing that can cause this. A full sync. Go into your app settings on the phone and look at how much storage the e-mail app is using, if its huge, maybe for some reason your e-mail program decided to download all mail, did the app update? You pocket dialed some new settings? It may have synced from all time including all attachments. Hotmail gives you 5gb free with each mailbox. It's not impossible to have 4gb of content in your e-mail box.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

EDIT: oops, got distracted by a coworker and this reply is no longer relevant 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@asaxton wrote:

Sorry, it is 4GB, I would not be concerned about 4MB obviously.

Certainly. I only said something because you said it twice. All good. But yeah that's a crap load of email. Are you sure it wasn't the OS or apps updating?

asaxton

Sorry, it is 4GB, I would not be concerned about 4MB obviously.

dezn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@asaxton wrote:

This has to be the issue, but 4MB in 24hrs still seems like a lot?? I have Gmail and then just the standard email program that was already on my Huawei P20 pro (it's a Hotmail account if that matters). I will try uninstalling it and checking the settings. Is there any way to see more detailed breakdown of usage? I know it was email but can I dig deeper than that somehow?

You might need to find a different third party email app then to see if it happens to that one. You could also download various other apps to check the battery usages from the play store,  this sounds like its doing things behind the scenes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hold on here! The subject line says 3.92 gigabytes. @asaxton: You're saying 4 megabytes in your other posts (twice). Which is it? 4MB is inconsequential.

asaxton

This has to be the issue, but 4MB in 24hrs still seems like a lot?? I have Gmail and then just the standard email program that was already on my Huawei P20 pro (it's a Hotmail account if that matters). I will try uninstalling it and checking the settings. Is there any way to see more detailed breakdown of usage? I know it was email but can I dig deeper than that somehow?

asaxton

I already did track the usage as stated in my initial post, I know it was my email during a 24 hour period. It doesn't make sense because I only sent a few one liners, no way that should use 4MB! Did I get hacked somehow??

asaxton

I already know which which app as stated in my initial post... It was my email, which doesn't make any sense because I sent only a few one liners that day!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@asaxton wrote:

I didn't think there was any way I'd ever use anywhere close to 4.5GB of data considering I'm used to 1GB per month. I was flabbergasted to receive a msg a week into my billing cycle that I'd used 90% of my data! My data usage there was 3.92 GB used by email on one day! How can that be?? 

Check your usage history and find out when your phone was using that much of data.

You can also post screen shot of the usage history if you need help to determine what went wrong.

dezn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@asaxton wrote:

I've had the same dealing with text messages. Something on the phone was sending out messages without me knowing, see if you can set the data saver to on and start ticking the boxes for the apps you want to save data on and then turn auto-sync off. Google play services autodownloads and checks should be turned off as well. Play around with the settings in your email if it's sending anything in the background to be turnedd off or install a new third party email app and see how good the battery usage is on that.

Sharry19
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@asaxton in most of the android phones your should be able to track by going under mobile data usage that which app uses how much data, please try to do that...

Sometimes what happens we forget to enable wifi on smartphone and keep using mobile data and never relaize about it.

But you can always go to PM My Account usage page and see date and time then try to track 

I hope this info will be useful for you!

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Really depends on what's going on on the phone. Sounds like something is stuck in the synchronization. What phone model are you using and what type of email do you have on the phone?

Oftentimes, if this sort of thing happens, it's a good idea to remove the email account from the phone and the recreate it from scratch. If you have synchronization settings, consider reducing how aggressive they are (sync back to 60 days instead of 90 days, every 30 min instead of every min, etc)

Need Help? Let's chat.