cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 # of Texts Used for every 1 text message sent for Samsung phones

dezn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Currently using the $10 month plan using my new samsung phone, and just noticed every 1 text i send it shows double the usage online in the Amount Used on the self-serve. Any clue why this is happening? I disabled permissions for sms on the phone app and i'm pretty sure most of you don't have this issue with unlimited texting or haven't noticed it. I'm on android pie, factory reset, reinserted sim etc etc. This looks like an issue with Samsung phones but no fixes yet.

Found out Telephonyui is the cause of 7723 on Samsung Devices for public mobile. Disabling this will stop it completely did a few testing with restarts. You only seem to need it for access to the mobile networks settings. Double usage is something else I'm figuring out on my own but no luck yet sadly.

If you want to test this buy the $10 plan or just 'view my usage' on the self-serve overview and test by sending a text message to someone not sure how it works for unlimited plans.

8 REPLIES 8

Doonerz

@dezn wrote:

Currently using the $10 month plan using my new samsung phone, and just noticed every 1 text i send it shows double the usage online in the Amount Used on the self-serve. Any clue why this is happening? I disabled permissions for sms on the phone app and i'm pretty sure most of you don't have this issue with unlimited texting or haven't noticed it. I'm on android pie, factory reset, reinserted sim etc etc. This looks like an issue with Samsung phones but no fixes yet.

Found out Telephonyui is the cause of 7723 on Samsung Devices for public mobile. Disabling this will stop it completely did a few testing with restarts. You only seem to need it for access to the mobile networks settings. Double usage is something else I'm figuring out on my own but no luck yet sadly.

If you want to test this buy the $10 plan or just 'view my usage' on the self-serve overview and test by sending a text message to someone not sure how it works for unlimited plans.

@dezn @missorange Here is a link to a previous post I had about the 160 character limit:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Outgoing-Text-Too-Long-Counts-as-3-Se...

@missorange wrote:

first time heard about charactors limitations. maybe all phone company has the same practices. keep learning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

first time heard about charactors limitations. maybe all phone company has the same practices. keep learning.

dezn

@srlawren Interesting. It was over 160 characters long. Thank for letting me know.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dezn okay just so we're clear, are you sending long messages?  ( > 160 characters)  If so, then those messages are split up into multiple SMS messages, which could explain the doubling you're seeing.  Another possible explanation is if you're having a group discussion (with 2 other people) and have your messaging app set to send them as SMS rather than as MMS.  If set to SMS, group messaging sends a separate message to each person in the group.

These may have nothing to do with your situation, but I wanted to put them out there in case one might apply.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dezn

@NDesai Not yet. I've been having other account issues right now so when I get it fixed i'll be downloading a different messaging app and checking it. Highly doubt its the messaging app though but will try it out. Gonna Test it by sending myself a message using another messaging app. then borrowing a xiaomi phone from someone and putting my sim inside.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

EDITED

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@dezn  Have you tried another texting app like Android Messages or Textra?

Need Help? Let's chat.