cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st month on a 90 day plan UPDATE

noodlez7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live in the GTA area, and so far, it has been great!  I don't think I would ever go back to any other company for the value and service.  For any future consumers out there, just a little bit of patience and self-help through the PM mods & PM users, and I can say for certain, you won't regret it!

In the month that I've been using it, I haven't experienced any issues so far, even in areas in the past in which I've known DOES NOT have any reception or service such as old buildings in which the signal can't seem to bypass.  For once, I would have full bar reception with an active connection.

Practically, crystal sound and connection, without no restrictions on phones (ie. power saving features etc)

Data is surprisingly fast, practically almost equivalent to my home wireless internet service (on a Note 5 with LTE+ capabilities)

Haven't any issues with texting (including pictures/emoji uses) or receiving any incoming calls while on a Provincial Talk Plan and International Texting with 4GB.

If all goes well then I may consider upgrading my plan to include a bit more data, more so, for the flexibility of usage even though, primarily, I would rely more on my wireless network at home.

This is coming from a past user of WIND Mobile.

To the future improvement of phone infrastructure and technology @publicmobile!

Smiley Very Happy

24 REPLIES 24

kutzki
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@ckl you're 100% right about this, and usually people will buy their phones through "the big 3" but to be honest, I've never done that. Always gone month to month as I hate and can't trust contracts. Was with Virgin, month to month, then with Wind, month to month, made it really easy to switch to this. Yeah my parents almost switched to rogers and were on a retention plan. Grandfathered plans usually aren't as worth it with some companies as what they get is absolute garbage compared with either upgrading or switching plans, but the retention one is usually a big deal.

kutzki
There are hundreds of things they can do that would boost their revenue potential if I'm being honest that's one of the lesser ones. The problem with all of these revenue boosting potential marketing techniques is that they cost money.... If PM has to spend money on everything that could "potentially" make them more they'd be broke by the end of the 4th quarter. Anyways at the moment they're doing OK. The ads they've recently put up on their YouTube channel are imo a bit of a dumb way to try and attract customers plus also ended up being a great way to alienate an entire company that they could potentially have worked with in the future, but aside from that, real ads, and good ads cost millions. There are many low cost options that they could have, but they just aren't tapping into it. It's disappointing as PM is an awesome company that cares about their customers, but as it's still a company, the bottom line will sometimes be more important. Lol I think, in time, PM could be amazing. All they need to do is smarten up a bit.

noodlez7

Well if they did, they would boost their revenue potential. 🙂

kutzki
Lol yeah but they don't have the funding for that @noodlez7 I agree that'd be a cool idea, but they don't even have stores. Lol

noodlez7

Maybe.. if PM did a light promo and let people try out the service at a public location, I think that would be pretty convincing.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@pmobile I haven't been able to convert my coworker who is looking for a better option than the big 3.

I think part of the problem in getting people to switch is the "fear of the unknown". Is the coverage the same? Are the data speeds the same? Will my phone work and do I have to unlock it? It's much cheaper, so what's the catch?

Another big factor is that you cannot switch back easily if you make a mistake. For example, if a person switches from Rogers to company X, and finds out that they don't like company X for whatever reason, they cannot go back and get the same plan they had before. They could have been on a retention or grandfathered plan that is not currently offered in the Big 3 plan lineup.

danette77

@Nyamekye wrote:

Thanks for posting this, I'm a WIND 39 for voice/text/data but looking to get a secondary data only line for a tablet ^_^

@Nyamekye I am on a data only plan as well, you can't beat the data prices here and the coverage is great Robot Happy

Nyamekye

Thanks for posting this, I'm a WIND 39 for voice/text/data but looking to get a secondary data only line for a tablet ^_^

danette77

I agree, I've also noticed that since switching from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile I get more bars and/or coverage in areas where I didn't even have any signal before. I am in rural Newfoundland so that's quite the accomplishment, lol.

noodlez7

Spread the love, spread the discounts, and buy yourself some shoes, people!

Litvinau_A

@pmobile For every time somebody likes your post aka. gives you bravos, eventually you start getting discounts on your bill under the Community Reward.

So the more you get involved - the less you'll be paying in the future!

So don't just ignore a great advice, or even something funny:)

GIVE BRAVOS!

Everyone who tries- deserves to get em

pmobile
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@Litvinau_A can you explain the Bravos thing to me in a bit more detail? Sorry I am not familiar with it.

Thanks!

kutzki
This is true. PM is quite a good company.

Litvinau_A

@pmobile give other's Bravos, that's how we get the discounts:)

pmobile
Haha nice.

GO PUBLIC 🙂

Litvinau_A

@JMCD @noodlez7 @pmobile @kutzki after calculating all the above, a year ago i just went to apple store and purchased myself a 6 (once it was discounted of course, since 6s came out already)

But still, after all the discounts i've gotduring the first Beta year, i was paying around $80 for 90 days of service.

No other company can offer that!

GO PUBLIC!

JMCD

@noodlez7 I absolutely agree. The savings added up over 2 years are huge. People often feel that they get a "deal" by getting a new iPhone, Flagship android or whatever, for $200-300. When you work it all out, it's almost never worth it. I aim to buy phones that are 1-2 years old and stay a bit behind the curve. Even if I did want the latest and greatest every 2 years, I'd see be saving with PM 🙂 So far I've got 2 to switch and quite a few other people interested 🙂 

I really hope the subscriber count continues to grow, as it's actually a very common business platform overseas where you have MNVOs. 

noodlez7

Probably because they've been offered particular deals through phone/store negotiation or they're under a business account with various added benefits to their plan.

If neither then well, yeah.  Not much to say there, LOL.  

Public Mobile is going to take over one generation of people at a time Smiley Happy

pmobile
That's what kills me is when they are on Telus (same network) and won't switch for thr lower monthly plan.

I hope more people take advantage of Public Mobile, this seems like such a better model and pricing for phone plans than traditional monthly plans.

noodlez7

I guess people are fixated on name brands, once they start realizing how much they can save.. well, that'll make it all the more welcoming for them to switch over!  I've actually gotten a friend that is using Telus and is paying so much more for the same amount of service but with less abudance to their plan (ie. less data, overcharge amounts, higher costs).

If you estimate the amount you'll pay in a year, under a contract, for 2 years on a $60-70 plan...

It adds up to a lot, just to pay off the phone for the same-ish quality of service (I mean by the service connectivity).  When I've calculated how much I'm paying in a year, I'm basically only paying around 400-500$ on a 90 day plan (x4) in a year, whereas other people may be paying over a 1.2-1.4k over 2 years on a contract (on a monthly basis).

Save money people!  Go buy yourself some nice shoes or dinner with the extra leftover! Smiley Very Happy

pmobile
I'm having a great experience with Public Mobile as well but is anyone else finding it hard to convert friends over? I am finding that friends are paying about $10-$15 more per month with other companies but they are reluctant to switch 😛

Litvinau_A

@kutzki time to upgrade your phone so that it has LTE 🙂 the internet flies that way!

kutzki
YEAH! It's true. I was in a place that nobody could find reception, but I had 4 bars! Speed is quite lovely, it is true. Unfortunately for me though, I only get 4G when I'm downtown. Rest of the time, it's H/H+. 😞

JMCD

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the review. I'm about 6 weeks in now and everything is stellar here as well 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.