cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15min talk and text

alexlabonte99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I have a 15min talk and txt. I've reboot my iphone 6, and reseated the sim card. I am able to txt my dad which is 709-730-XXXX number, and my number is 709-219-XXXX , however when I go to call him or anyone else in my area it says I'm calling long distance which I am not in the local area....

I really don't know what else to do, I've submitted a ticked to the moderators but after surfing the forums I don't have any idea how to fix this. In my area I have Roaming on under cellular in settings as well.

11 REPLIES 11

@alexlabonte99  Did +1 work? 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

so, I have the same plan as @alexlabonte99 , and the plan is Talk Canada-wide for 100 minutes? After reading more about your post, this would irritate the heck out of me! @computergeek541 made some valid points and they have been with Public Mobile for a long time, so look at their suggestions. 

If you Googled it, there was also an interesting article from a different carrier, but gives a good explanation as well. 

@Chickie 

Have you logged into your account to see if you have any of your 100 outgoing minutes left? I f you no longer see this feature listed on your overview page you have run out of outgoing minutes on your plan. Add $5 to your balance then go to the add ons page. Select the $5/500 min Canada wide calling add on. Scroll down and submit the payment to purchase the add on. The $5/500 min add on will stay on your account (rolling over each month) until completely used.

@Triguy 

The $10 50/50 plan does not include free incoming calls only free incoming texts.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@alexlabonte99 ....I  think you mean the $15/month talk & text which has 100 mins outgoing cdn wide and unlimited incoming calls, not 15mins. try adding a "1" before your 10 digit number.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

TELUS Mobility

In Service

St. John's

Bell Mobility Aliant

329A

In Service

St. John's

@Chickie  Are you in St. John’s right now? 

@alexlabonte99 Your phone number is actually irrelevant in this context. It actually wouldn't make a difference even if you had a Vanouver or Whitehorse (or any other city) phone number. Are you actually in St. John's (or somewhere that it's local to call St. John's) when trying to make these outgoing calls? That's really all that matters.

I've noticed that everyone seems to be assuming that it's the "long distance may apply" message that is being heard. Yes, that message can be ignored and the call should go through afterwards, but that doesn't change the fact that this shouldn't be heard at all if you're in St. John's. St. John's to St. John's is always a local call, at any carrier.

So, while you can just simply ignore the "long distance may apply", message I'm going to ask something that no else has. Are you hearing that "long distance may apply" message, or are you hearing some other type of message similar that calls aren't included to the destination that you're calling/talk not included type message? If you're hearing the second type of message, calls will fail even if you stay on the line and wait in the hope that the call will complete.

As for the roaming question, there is no such thing as roaming while you are in Canada while using Public Mobile.

Chickie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public Mobile uses the Telus Network. Telus Network has a generic message that's played advising about long distance charges during phone calls to different cities before it connects your call. You won't be charged long distance as your Public Mobile plan is Nationwide calling this is just the generic Telus message. If you are over your plan's talk amount you can purchase an add on for more time. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@alexlabonte99 

PM is prepaid service without pay-per-use.  

The long distance is just a warning message.  If it let you connect after the message, there will be no extra charge except the minute charge.

To get rid of the warning message, add 1 in front of your number.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@alexlabonte99 

If you are out of minutes you can buy add-on 500 minutes for $5

In assuming you are on 50 minutes plan

If on $15 plan you have unlimited incoming you can ask him to call you back until your renewal as your incoming should be unlimited

Alternatively you can use hangouts TextNow or fongo

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@alexlabonte99 

Put a 1 infront of the number you are dialing or let the message play. It's a standard message and when it is done it should still contact your call.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.