cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Year of savings with PM

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So, as I near 1 year with PM, I thought I would take a look and see what my wife and I have saved over a year against what we would have paid for the Year with Rogers.  So we have 2 fall promo's also purchased $8 LD and a $15 LD and a $20 US addon.  Which we both still have a lot of LD left.  Pre Tax savings is $487 over Rogers.  We did buy my wife the Liquid Zest Plus ( @will13am  no not the shower gel) for $199 so still a savings of $287.  With Rogers we would have had 2.5GB to share each month so 30GB for the year.  With PM we have had 48GB EACH.  As we near our anniversary another reward will kick in soon the Loyalty reward, so another savings of $24 (both of us combined).

So thank you PM I hope to see these savings stack up year after year.  Thank you community for your commitment to helping others, your humour and for the opportunity to be apart of a great community.

ETA  Didn't plan it but this happened to be post 2400 a nice round number

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

23 REPLIES 23

I'm also in the "better service" camp. And like @SD08 I'm clearly omparing apples and oranges.

In my private life I have very limited need for talk minutes, 95% of my personal on-the-go communication is texting. So SpeakOut's $20 Value Plan (100min anytime Canada wide talk and unlimited Canada wide text) had worked very well for me, combining it with Skype etc on the home and work WiFi for the heavier talk and international text use. Only drawback - I wasn't able to receive MMS on my phone.

Fast forward to early 2017 when my cell phone account started to do double duty for business... I found myself looking for an alternative, preferably still prepaid, for a better talk and text option.

When I first stumbled on this website, PM's unlimited talk and text plan was $105/90days, quite a jump but I did need more minutes going forward and the option of LD and data add-ons that can be combined with talk & text only plans and don't expire was intriguing. Shortly before I was ready to switch providers, PM came out with the spring talk and text promo ($81/90days) and changing to PM became a no-brainer.

Now, with the even better standard pricing, it looks like I'm getting my cell phone bill down to below $350/year before rewards. I might pay slightly more per year than on average in the past decade, but I have gone to unlimited minutes (the LD add-on taking care of those rare times when I'm calling out of province), global texting including MMS, and enough data for my minimalist on-the-go needs (home and work WiFi still taking up 95% of my data usage).

I'm only coming up to my half-year mark / 2nd renewal but couldn't be happier with my choice. Thanks, PM. And thanks to all of you here - mods, oracles and members - who have made this ride smoother with all your help and insights!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I still follow Freedom development on hofo from time to time.  It looks like they are taking a few steps backwards recently.  A lot of people are reporting calls are going to voicemail.  It seems like the drop down from LTE to 3G is not so graceful.  That reminds of handoffs from one tower to the next.  There could be a measurable period of zero sign in between.  There is also reports of wifi calling being rather poor quality.  It will be a long while before they can bring the A game. 

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@photosbydan wrote:

Doing the math really pays off. I'd love to see a calculator on the site, where you can input your current plan, contract buyout fee, new phone purchase price, and calculate how much you save/how long it takes to pay off. Makes PM the obvious choice.

Interestingly, FM used to have one for about 4 months a few years ago. I found it funny to run my usage and my plan (Chatr at the time), and to see if they had a better deal... the message was similar to "You've got a great plan, we can't do better".

Now, because of my parent's limited needs, I'm actually switching them to Telus' annual Talk and Text 100 prepaid plan for $8.33/m - especially useful when they are not here for 6 months a year as those 400mins get spread out over 6 months instead of 12months.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

While I can't say that I'm actually saving anything, since I went from having no data plan at all to having one, I realize what great value PM provides. (I'm actually on my very first smartphone, bought just before I joined on the Fall 2016 promo.)  I'm also looking forward to my 1-yr anniversary with PM and the loyalty discount.  Robot Happy

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Michael77 wrote:

@will13am

I was very close to being with Wind/Freedom from the start. I believe I started with them in 2010.  I remember I used to hear horns on the phone. It sounded like it came from a ship. It looks like they fixed that issue. Lol

I remember my early days when I used to call them on my cell to complain about the spotty service.  Invariably, the call would drop.

LOL.  So true! 🙂

@Michael77 wrote:

@will13am

I was very close to being with Wind/Freedom from the start. I believe I started with them in 2010.  I remember I used to hear horns on the phone. It sounded like it came from a ship. It looks like they fixed that issue. Lol

I remember my early days when I used to call them on my cell to complain about the spotty service.  Invariably, the call would drop.

@ScrapIron wrote:

Congrats @ShawnC13 on your almost one year anniversary with PM! 

@will13am @Michael77 I'm glad there are other ex-FM/Wind people on here as well! Although I haven't been with FM as long as you guys have, 5 years of spotty service was starting to get to me until I made the switch a few months ago. A tad bit more expensive than FM was but now learning about all of these rewards, it is much more comparable but with 100x better coverage. 

100% better coverage is an understatement.  When there is no coverage, divide by zero results in infinitely better coverage.

ScrapIron
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Congrats @ShawnC13 on your almost one year anniversary with PM! 

@will13am @Michael77 I'm glad there are other ex-FM/Wind people on here as well! Although I haven't been with FM as long as you guys have, 5 years of spotty service was starting to get to me until I made the switch a few months ago. A tad bit more expensive than FM was but now learning about all of these rewards, it is much more comparable but with 100x better coverage. 

photosbydan

I can't believe the amount of savings I've had, and I'm not even at one year yet! I just switched over my parents, saving them $40/mo (each!) for even more value with PM. I love that I've helped a number of friends/family save, and I get the referral bonus as well.

Doing the math really pays off. I'd love to see a calculator on the site, where you can input your current plan, contract buyout fee, new phone purchase price, and calculate how much you save/how long it takes to pay off. Makes PM the obvious choice.

Michael77

@will13am

@mattdxb wrote:

With my father, it's not so much the savings per se. He is only willing to pay a certain amount per month for his cell service and at the price PM provides, he is getting way more for his dollar than he would with any other provider. He has been with PM for almost 3-4 years now I think.

On other providers, the only thing he used his phone for was a limited amount of voice minutes. Now he has unlimited talk time, unlimited international text, and a some data so he can use GPS or use messenger apps without being stuck to wifi to talk with his friends from overseas easily. It's great. 

+1.  I have a threshold as well and that is why I stuck it out with Wind for so long.  Good celluar service is definitely a problem that can be resolved by throwing lots of money at it.

@Michael77 wrote:

@will13am,

LOL.

I was with FM for close to 7 years. I am sure FM will be a much more reliable carrier in the future. I guess my patients ran thin and so did my hair. Lol

Wow, you should be awarded for surviving that long.  Too bad I can't bravo you once for every year you were with Wind/Freedom.  You must be an original member.

@ute1978, same as you.  Email was symbols but shows up correct in forum.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ute1978

Funny glitch...... @ShawnC13 and the others...I just wanted to know how you see my previous comment. I commented this (screenshot).

shawn2.PNG

But in my email notification I get this....instead of letters I get symbols...

shawn.PNG

@ute1978, not yet.  I am nearing 1 year.  The actual date I believe is November 3 going by my payments.  So I won't see my loyalty reward until February I guess as my payment at the end of this month won't quite make a year.

ute1978

FINALLY we can welcome you @ShawnC13 to the loyalty family where you save even more!

Clefort88
@mattdxb
I’m in the same boat as your father; after having worked in a call centre environment for 6 years, with several American cell providers, I simply cannot justify the prices for service any longer, nor can I find the point in having a contract service.
I refuse to pay anything more than $60! I’ve been laughed at for years haha

I was paying $57.50 (taxes included) with Bell Prepaid, for a remarkably silly plan. I did this for 3 years 😐
My Bell plan consisted of:
-100 local any time minutes
-unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm.
-unlimited international text and media messages
-500 MBs of data, with $0.25 charge for every MB overage.

I am paying the same now, for unlimited province wide talk, unlimited global text and media, and 4GBs of data.
It was a no-brainer, and I only wish I’d known about PM sooner!!!

I’m so happy to look at here boards and see nothing but happy customers. It’s remarkable, really haha

mattdxb

With my father, it's not so much the savings per se. He is only willing to pay a certain amount per month for his cell service and at the price PM provides, he is getting way more for his dollar than he would with any other provider. He has been with PM for almost 3-4 years now I think.

On other providers, the only thing he used his phone for was a limited amount of voice minutes. Now he has unlimited talk time, unlimited international text, and a some data so he can use GPS or use messenger apps without being stuck to wifi to talk with his friends from overseas easily. It's great. 

Michael77

@will13am,

LOL.

I was with FM for close to 7 years. I am sure FM will be a much more reliable carrier in the future. I guess my patients ran thin and so did my hair. Lol

@Michael77 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13, congrats on saving all that money.  I am a couple of weeks away from making payment 5 (renewal 4) that will take me past the one year mark.  I wish I could say the same thing about saving all sorts of money.  I gave up on a plan that cost all of $25 per month for 5 gigs with Wind Mobile to come to this service.  At the same time I got rid of three data only plans costing $5 per month and replaced them with $15 Fido tablet plans.  I have been able to make a lot of referral dollars with Fido and some with this service to offset some of the extra cost.  Overall, I am out of pocket for making the switch.  However, I know am happier than @ShawnC13 even though I don't have any savings to show for my effort.  Those of us who migrated from Wind/Freedom Mobile know exactly what I mean.  

Hi @ShawnC13,

I am happy to hear you are saving money and enjoying Public Mobile. In terms of cost savings, I am in the same boat as @will13am. I switched from Freedom Mobile where I had a really cheap unlimited plan and also I had to pay off my phone tab. Having said that, I am very happy I switched. The Public Mobile network is amazing compared to Freedom Mobile.  It is nice to know that wherever I go I know that I will get reception. 

I recently started a new 90 day term and I am happy to report that everything went well.  I did not have any issues. It felt like I was on a postpaid plan.

I am also enjoying the community and learning a lot. This is the first forum I've ever signed up for and actually take an active role. 

Thanks everyone and thanks PM for the great service! 🙂

@Michael77, I bet you have more hair now that you have switched out and what hair you do have left is greying at a much slower pace.  I like to support the little guy where I can.  After suffering for more than 4 years hoping tomorrow would be a better day, the only recourse to ensuring that was to leave. 

Michael77

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13, congrats on saving all that money.  I am a couple of weeks away from making payment 5 (renewal 4) that will take me past the one year mark.  I wish I could say the same thing about saving all sorts of money.  I gave up on a plan that cost all of $25 per month for 5 gigs with Wind Mobile to come to this service.  At the same time I got rid of three data only plans costing $5 per month and replaced them with $15 Fido tablet plans.  I have been able to make a lot of referral dollars with Fido and some with this service to offset some of the extra cost.  Overall, I am out of pocket for making the switch.  However, I know am happier than @ShawnC13 even though I don't have any savings to show for my effort.  Those of us who migrated from Wind/Freedom Mobile know exactly what I mean.  

Hi @ShawnC13,

I am happy to hear you are saving money and enjoying Public Mobile. In terms of cost savings, I am in the same boat as @will13am. I switched from Freedom Mobile where I had a really cheap unlimited plan and also I had to pay off my phone tab. Having said that, I am very happy I switched. The Public Mobile network is amazing compared to Freedom Mobile.  It is nice to know that wherever I go I know that I will get reception. 

I recently started a new 90 day term and I am happy to report that everything went well.  I did not have any issues. It felt like I was on a postpaid plan.

I am also enjoying the community and learning a lot. This is the first forum I've ever signed up for and actually take an active role. 

Thanks everyone and thanks PM for the great service! 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Clefort88
That is wonderful news!!! Well done. Glad you made the switch and are experiencing such freedom and savings.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine last about the savings; broke it down for that she’d save $66 a month!
I’m payin $690 a year for my cellphone, she is paying $1,446 a year for her phone and plan!!
It’s literally quite unbelievable when you simply pay your bill every month as the year goes on.
I’m so glad to hear that you and your wife have been able to save on TWO accounts/lines/data packages here with PM!
Need Help? Let's chat.