Did you mean: 

1-800 numbers

amppm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

when searching about calling 1-800 numbers there are some conflicting answers 

can someone please confirm if:

calling 1-800 is using up minutes from a 100 min Canada wide $15 plan. Yes/No

will my 1-800 call connect to a US based company if I don’t have any US roaming add-on.  Yes/ No

thank you 

9 REPLIES 9

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Officially, all toll free numbers are billed as local calls.  It should deduct minutes used but it will be billed as a local call, even if the call terminates in the US.  The called party (whoever owns this phone number) pays the associated charges of connecting such long distance call, but the calling party (you) do not.

In my experience, toll free calls do not deduct minutes when placed from a Public Mobile plan with limited minutes.  However, this should not be counted on, as this shouldn’t be happening.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@amppm 

Outgoing call to a toll free number does not use my plan 50 minutes on my $10 plan.  I also found out that the incoming call from a toll free number does not use my plan 50 minutes too.  I was cut off during an outgoing toll free number call and the CSR called me back using a toll free number and both segments did not use any of my plan 50 minutes.

amppm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Edited, sorry if I broke any rules 

@amppm wrote:

So having or not having the US roaming add-on is not a factor then ?

The call should connect if the payer is set to approve my call origin?

The US Roaming add-on is only going to work while you're in US...not to be confused with the 200 minutes of Canada & US calling add-on for $8.

If it's not private...what is the 800 number you want to call ?

amppm

Thank you all

Wow 

what a great community!!

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@amppm wrote:

@amppm The US roaming add on only works while you are physically in the USA. To your second question, yes.

amppm

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

1. Yes

All toll free calls are supposed to use airtime on limited minute plans at all Canadian carriers, including Public Mobile.

2.  Depends if toll free number is for North America or just US.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amppm wrote:

Hi,

when searching about calling 1-800 numbers there are some conflicting answers 

can someone please confirm if:

calling 1-800 is using up minutes from a 100 min Canada wide $15 plan. Yes/No

will my 1-800 call connect to a US based company if I don’t have any US roaming add-on.  Yes/ No

thank you 

1. Officially...yes. Many have found that minutes are not consumed.

2. Toll free numbers can be geographically restricted by the payers choice. A company somewhere can say that they will accept "toll free" calls from their area. Or country. Or North America. And whatever in betweens or greaters might exist. Point is...he who pays the bill can choose the area.

Need Help? Let's chat.