cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 800 number, unknown location

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

Earlier today I received a call twice by an 800 number (1 800 358 9321) and it only rang once, hung up/canceled then rang once more and it happened so quick that I accidentally declined the call.

A few minutes ago, I received another call from another 800 number (1 800 665 8800) and this time against my usual silencing of the phone to a random number, I answered. It sounded like an automated lady saying she was part of the Bank of Montreal FROM CHINA. Now I neither have an account with the Bank of Montreal nor do I live in China (I have actually never been outside of North America).

I'm assuming that these calls are scam given the information I just provided. Also, the lady was starting to say something about a "report" before I hung up out of uncertainty.

Am I going to be in some sort of trouble or scrutiny by answering?

14 REPLIES 14

DL888

I have noticed a big increased in spam calls...duct cleaning, DHL, threat that I'll get arrested if I don't pay my CRA tax...etc. I would recommend blocking these numbers on your phone but the problem is, majority of the time, the number that displays are valid tel. number from innocent people, they phish these number. Unless the govt. really crack down on this, we just have to put up with it, and cracking down is not simple as most of these calls are originating from oversea. 

blessme4k
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Be careful, 99% of them are scammers.  What I do is once I get a call and realize they speak a different language, I hang up and block their number permenantly.  Never have to deal with them again.

I used Canada campers for long time never had issue with my phone address nor credit card. I highly doubt they would sell such info

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Shouldn't be a problem since you didn't give any personal info over the phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Obice wrote:

I very recently, as in less than 2 days ago, ordered something from a site called Canada Computers and now I'm starting to get spam calls. I wonder if it has to do with that or if it's coincidence.

@Obice it's been a while, but I have ordered from Canada Computers in the past, with no noticable uptick in spam calls.  Likewise, though I don't forward my Fongo number to my cell, Fongo will come up on my phone if someone dials that number, and I've had maybe 2 or 3 spam calls on it since I activated 2 or 3 years ago.

Honestly, these spam callers don't need you to use your phone number somewhere to call you.  They use "robo" or "auto" dialers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocall) to iterate through every number in a given range of phone numbers, and then carry on to another block of numbers, and another, and another. 

So like, say your phone number is 604-555-1212.  If today is your "lucky" day, someone's autodialer may have been set to dial 604-555-0000 through 604-555-9999, and hey, that included you!  Unfortunately there's little you can do to prevent this. 

My general rule of thumb is, if I don't recognize the number, and I'm not expecting/anticipating a possible call from a company or person whose number I don't know ahead of time, I let it go to voicemail.  Easy enough to delete the message, and then block the number after on my phone.  This is a never-ending battle though, as they can just change whatever number they are spoofing on the outbound caller ID and keep trying. 

It costs them very little to keep doing this over and over, and they are going to hit some poor suckers whom (somehow) don't know any better--typically confused elderly people, sadly--and manage to take them for some money.  It's super-sad, and these "people" (and I uses the term loosely in th ecase of these scam artists!) deserve to be sunk to the bottom of a deep, deep ocean with no scuba gear.  

EDIT: sorry, I just realized my "rule of thumb" part is a duplicate of what @hairbag1 already wrote.  Sorry, didn't mean to duplciate you!

@hairbag1 wrote:

My best suggestion is don't answer unless you're confident you know who's on the other end. Man Frustrated

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Obice wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

Good luck whatever you do....I know from experience that they can be very annoying.

My best suggestion is don't answer unless you're confident you know who's on the other end. Man Frustrated

Right.

Well, I had an inkling of suspicion that the number might have been by Canada Computers as I bought something there, so I thought I would chance it.

I did beforehand check their website and they have different numbers. My curiosity (or foolishness?) got the best of me.

Don't beat yourself up over it...no real harm done. Live & Learn !  Man Very Happy

Obice

@hairbag1 wrote:

Good luck whatever you do....I know from experience that they can be very annoying.

Right.

Well, I had an inkling of suspicion that the number might have been by Canada Computers as I bought something there, so I thought I would chance it.

I did beforehand check their website and they have different numbers. My curiosity (or foolishness?) got the best of me.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Earlier today I received a call twice by an 800 number (1 800 358 9321) and it only rang once, hung up/canceled then rang once more and it happened so quick that I accidentally declined the call.

A few minutes ago, I received another call from another 800 number (1 800 665 8800) and this time against my usual silencing of the phone to a random number, I answered. It sounded like an automated lady saying she was part of the Bank of Montreal FROM CHINA. Now I neither have an account with the Bank of Montreal nor do I live in China (I have actually never been outside of North America).

I'm assuming that these calls are scam given the information I just provided. Also, the lady was starting to say something about a "report" before I hung up out of uncertainty.

No trouble...just pepare for many calls from similar scammers. Just ignore numbers if you don't recognize them. Use the Gov't of Canada "Do Not Call" list. Check on gogle.

I do not believe the national do not call list will help for these types of calls.  If calers are going to participate in potentially illegal activity, they"re not going to obey any do not call rules.

I believe the DNC registry is the white pages for spam calls.  The registry will only work on law abiding companies.  110% of spam calls are from those who don't care about the law. 

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

No trouble...just pepare for many calls from similar scammers. Just ignore numbers if you don't recognize them. Use the Gov't of Canada "Do Not Call" list. Check on gogle.

I do not believe the national do not call list will help for these types of calls.  If calers are going to participate in potentially illegal activity, they"re not going to obey any do not call rules.

Obice

Yeah, I'll pass on a new number. Everyone I know has my number and to send out a new one would be very annoying to say the least.

My phone lets me block callers so I have already added these numbers to a contact.

@Obice wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

I very recently, as in less than 2 days ago, ordered something from a site called Canada Computers and now I'm starting to get spam calls. I wonder if it has to do with that or if it's coincidence.

Also, I have my Fongo account to forward calls to my PM number, and I know that when I had Fongo home phone I got spam calls from Chinese establishments with no way to block them -- I wonder if I'm getting these calls because they are coming from my Fongo account.

I am going to turn off the forwarding and see how that goes.

Could be either. Turn OFF the call forwarding...hopefully those spam calls will cease. Once they know your number and you answer the phone...they are relentless.

If you want...you can use the Public Mobile "Change My Number" tool to get a different number...for free. It's a hassle letting everyone know your new number but the spammers are terrible once they have you. Good luck.

Obice

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Also, I have my Fongo account to forward calls to my PM number, and I know that when I had Fongo home phone I got spam calls from Chinese establishments with no way to block them -- I wonder if I'm getting these calls because they are coming from my Fongo account.

I am going to turn off the forwarding and see how that goes.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Need Help? Let's chat.