cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: phone option


@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

This phone is a year old based on release date.  The price is not bad.  Given that it is an android one phone, it will receive android pie via google and who knows, it might get the next edition Q, whatever that stands for.  BHP ships to Canada and has a good track record with Canadian buyers.  This is an option for those who are not comfortable with buying from overseas sellers.

 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449873-REG/moto_pa8s0024us_moto_x4_android_one.html


I'm not so sure that this phone is not part of the Android One program.  My understanding was that only the version with 6GB RAM and 64GB storage space will receive those super quick updates.

 

I actually had this phone before but decided not to keep it and then just resold it (wasn't happy with the call quality). 

 

This model was actually a little cheaper a few weeks ago, I believe around $220 (CAD). 

 


I did check on the google site to confirm.  I assume the information on the BHP site is accurate. 

 

https://www.android.com/phones/moto-x4/


Looks like you're good. 

 

The Motorola Mobility site also is selling Android One 32GB.  Like i said, I could swear that it was only the 64GB storage version that had Android One.  I could have been mistaken or a new variant released.

 

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4-android-one

 

Considering that it has only one speaker, the sound quality is suprisingly loud and good for media playback.  If selfies are your thing, there's a front-firing LED flash.  IP68 is a nice bonus (a feature that I think all phones should have since we use our phones outdoors).  What I didn't like was that I found that the mic quality wasn't the greatest and I found the phone to be slightly square and clunky.  That could be just because I've become use to these 18 (and sometimes higher):9 screen aspect ratios.

 

 

Re: phone option


@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Thanks @will13am, but why not post this in Phones & Hardware area?  It's on topic...


There are a number of members with elbows out these days jockeying for position to becoming an oracle.  I don't want to get in the way of anyone's aspirations.  Smiley Very Happy


The good news about posting in the lounge has to do with the fact that you'll get honest discussion about this phone model and opinions about the price, instead of people just looking for bravos to pad January's community rewards (since bravos here supposedly don't count). 

 

 

Oracle

Re: phone option


@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Thanks @will13am, but why not post this in Phones & Hardware area?  It's on topic...


There are a number of members with elbows out these days jockeying for position to becoming an oracle.  I don't want to get in the way of anyone's aspirations.  Smiley Very Happy


The good news about posting in the lounge has to do with the fact that you'll get honest discussion about this phone model and opinions about the price, instead of people just looking for bravos to pad January's community rewards (since bravos here supposedly don't count). 

 

 


You put it in much more eloqent words. 

Oracle

Re: phone option


@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

This phone is a year old based on release date.  The price is not bad.  Given that it is an android one phone, it will receive android pie via google and who knows, it might get the next edition Q, whatever that stands for.  BHP ships to Canada and has a good track record with Canadian buyers.  This is an option for those who are not comfortable with buying from overseas sellers.

 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449873-REG/moto_pa8s0024us_moto_x4_android_one.html


I'm not so sure that this phone is not part of the Android One program.  My understanding was that only the version with 6GB RAM and 64GB storage space will receive those super quick updates.

 

I actually had this phone before but decided not to keep it and then just resold it (wasn't happy with the call quality). 

 

This model was actually a little cheaper a few weeks ago, I believe around $220 (CAD). 

 


I did check on the google site to confirm.  I assume the information on the BHP site is accurate. 

 

https://www.android.com/phones/moto-x4/


Looks like you're good. 

 

The Motorola Mobility site also is selling Android One 32GB.  Like i said, I could swear that it was only the 64GB storage version that had Android One.  I could have been mistaken or a new variant released.

 

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4-android-one

 

Considering that it has only one speaker, the sound quality is suprisingly loud and good for media playback.  If selfies are your thing, there's a front-firing LED flash.  IP68 is a nice bonus (a feature that I think all phones should have since we use our phones outdoors).  What I didn't like was that I found that the mic quality wasn't the greatest and I found the phone to be slightly square and clunky.  That could be just because I've become use to these 18 (and sometimes higher):9 screen aspect ratios.

 

 


For me the only negative of this phone is screen size.  I want 6+inch screens because I am visually challenged when looking at tiny screens.  A lot of people care little about the software side.  The best hardware without software is nothing but a door wedge.  I really enjoy the routine updates with android one program, so much so that I don't think too much about rooting my phones anymore.  Well maybe after support ends. 

Re: phone option


@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

This phone is a year old based on release date.  The price is not bad.  Given that it is an android one phone, it will receive android pie via google and who knows, it might get the next edition Q, whatever that stands for.  BHP ships to Canada and has a good track record with Canadian buyers.  This is an option for those who are not comfortable with buying from overseas sellers.

 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449873-REG/moto_pa8s0024us_moto_x4_android_one.html


I'm not so sure that this phone is not part of the Android One program.  My understanding was that only the version with 6GB RAM and 64GB storage space will receive those super quick updates.

 

I actually had this phone before but decided not to keep it and then just resold it (wasn't happy with the call quality). 

 

This model was actually a little cheaper a few weeks ago, I believe around $220 (CAD). 

 


I did check on the google site to confirm.  I assume the information on the BHP site is accurate. 

 

https://www.android.com/phones/moto-x4/


Looks like you're good. 

 

The Motorola Mobility site also is selling Android One 32GB.  Like i said, I could swear that it was only the 64GB storage version that had Android One.  I could have been mistaken or a new variant released.

 

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4-android-one

 

Considering that it has only one speaker, the sound quality is suprisingly loud and good for media playback.  If selfies are your thing, there's a front-firing LED flash.  IP68 is a nice bonus (a feature that I think all phones should have since we use our phones outdoors).  What I didn't like was that I found that the mic quality wasn't the greatest and I found the phone to be slightly square and clunky.  That could be just because I've become use to these 18 (and sometimes higher):9 screen aspect ratios.

 

 


For me the only negative of this phone is screen size.  I want 6+inch screens because I am visually challenged when looking at tiny screens.  A lot of people care little about the software side.  The best hardware without software is nothing but a door wedge.  I really enjoy the routine updates with android one program, so much so that I don't think too much about rooting my phones anymore.  Well maybe after support ends. 


Many of the current crop of phones at 5.5 to 6.0 inches are as big and provide as much screen real estate as the phone manufactuers would like us to believe because of the 18:9 aspect ratios.

 

I put a Moto x4 (5.2 inches)  and an LG G6 (5.7 inches) side by side, and because of the 16:9 vs. 18:9 ratios, I noticed about an identical amount of  usable screen space when watching a tv show recorded at 16:9.  I'll admit that the 18:9 screen ratio is nice when dealing with movies that are filmed slightly wider. With these newer phones with 18:9 screens, you're going to be doing more vertical scrolling.

 

Before I forget, there's one thing that I found invaluable in the Moto x4.  I'm hoping that Lenovo left this feature intact for the Android One model, but on the non-android one version, there's a feature that allows you to use the fingerprint sensor as a home, back, and recent app button.  This way, you can permanently remove the on-screen buttons so that they don't take up space, and you also don't need to swipe all over the place in the search to get them back onto your screen after you or an app has decided to hide them.  The fingerprint sensor can also be programmed to lock and unlock your screen without needing to set up fingerprints and a PIN (if you don't feel the need to set up those security features).

 

If you're a screen mirorror type of person, don't bother trying with the Moto x4.  Miracast is disabled on all versions, Android One or not.  It's Chomecast or nothing (unless you root and modify a setting). 

Mayor / Maire

Re: phone option


@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:


There are a number of members with elbows out these days jockeying for position to becoming an oracle.  I don't want to get in the way of anyone's aspirations.  Smiley Very Happy


The good news about posting in the lounge has to do with the fact that you'll get honest discussion about this phone model and opinions about the price, instead of people just looking for bravos to pad January's community rewards (since bravos here supposedly don't count). 

 


You put it in much more eloqent words. 


@will13am @computergeek541 I respectfully disagree with you both.  This is discussion about a phone that could be used with PM, and it belongs in Phones & Hardware, not in the Lounge.  What's the point of having on-topic areas if you're going to post on-topic threads in the off-topic lounge?  It decreases discoverability and makes the community look disorganized.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.

 

 

EDIT:  case-in-point:  @RobertQc had to point this thread out to someone that was asking about another phone (that turns out to be mostly incompatible with PM) in the Phones & Hardware area: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Nokia-8110-4G-Compatibility/m-p/31392... He might not have needed to, had this thread been where it's supposed to be.  Just sayin'. 


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Re: phone option


@srlawren wrote:

 


@will13am @computergeek541 I respectfully disagree with you both.  This is discussion about a phone that could be used with PM, and it belongs in Phones & Hardware, not in the Lounge.  What's the point of having on-topic areas if you're going to post on-topic threads in the off-topic lounge?  It decreases discoverability and makes the community look disorganized.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.


I don't disagree with you, and there's positives and negatives about it being here.  My response about it being in the lounge was meant as bit of a joke, but also to point out that at least the participation in this thread won't be because of other motives, despite being in The Lounge instead of Phones and Hardware.

 

Oracle

Re: phone option


@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

 


@will13am @computergeek541 I respectfully disagree with you both.  This is discussion about a phone that could be used with PM, and it belongs in Phones & Hardware, not in the Lounge.  What's the point of having on-topic areas if you're going to post on-topic threads in the off-topic lounge?  It decreases discoverability and makes the community look disorganized.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.


I don't disagree with you, and there's positives and negatives about it being here.  My response about it being in the lounge was meant as bit of a joke, but also to point out that at least the participation in this thread won't be because of other motives, despite being in The Lounge instead of Phones and Hardware.

 


Thus my earlier comment about why the post is here.  I would hate to see the bravo police taking me to task for ulterior motives. 

Oracle

Re: phone option

@ShawnC13, I was presented with the January security patch in the morning today.  It was all of 52 MB and so I tried downloading it on mobile data.  I was blocked from doing it.  The phone would churn forever downloading but nothing was happening.  It would pause itself for a bit and take a run at it again.  The phone was doing that all day.  Once at home on WiFi, the download started in earnest.  It was only a security update and so nothing exciting to talk about. 

Oracle

Re: phone option


@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13, I was presented with the January security patch in the morning today.  It was all of 52 MB and so I tried downloading it on mobile data.  I was blocked from doing it.  The phone would churn forever downloading but nothing was happening.  It would pause itself for a bit and take a run at it again.  The phone was doing that all day.  Once at home on WiFi, the download started in earnest.  It was only a security update and so nothing exciting to talk about. 


Yes got it as well @will13am just waited until I got home and very fast as like you say just a small update


* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *