cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone option

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This phone is a year old based on release date.  The price is not bad.  Given that it is an android one phone, it will receive android pie via google and who knows, it might get the next edition Q, whatever that stands for.  BHP ships to Canada and has a good track record with Canadian buyers.  This is an option for those who are not comfortable with buying from overseas sellers.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449873-REG/moto_pa8s0024us_moto_x4_android_one.html

21 REPLIES 21

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Comparing the Moto to Samsung A5 (2017), the Samsung has a strong edge in the battery performance — 95 hours vs 64 hours — while both cost about the same. I'll hasten to add though that I may be biased because I own a Samsung and more than happy with it. Smiley Happy

The comparison can be viewed here.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13, I was presented with the January security patch in the morning today.  It was all of 52 MB and so I tried downloading it on mobile data.  I was blocked from doing it.  The phone would churn forever downloading but nothing was happening.  It would pause itself for a bit and take a run at it again.  The phone was doing that all day.  Once at home on WiFi, the download started in earnest.  It was only a security update and so nothing exciting to talk about. 

Yes got it as well @will13am just waited until I got home and very fast as like you say just a small update

I don't understand why I was asked if I wanted to download the update on mobile data but then it won't work even though I agreed to do it.  Is there a liability concern?  I have a renewal coming up and enough usage to spare.  52 megs is nothing.  In recent days I consumed over one gig of data on a single app.  I keep getting warnings that the app is a data hog.  I must have acknowledge that warning half dozen times just today. 

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13, I was presented with the January security patch in the morning today.  It was all of 52 MB and so I tried downloading it on mobile data.  I was blocked from doing it.  The phone would churn forever downloading but nothing was happening.  It would pause itself for a bit and take a run at it again.  The phone was doing that all day.  Once at home on WiFi, the download started in earnest.  It was only a security update and so nothing exciting to talk about. 

Yes got it as well @will13am just waited until I got home and very fast as like you say just a small update

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am @computergeek541 I respectfully disagree with you both.  This is discussion about a phone that could be used with PM, and it belongs in Phones & Hardware, not in the Lounge.  What's the point of having on-topic areas if you're going to post on-topic threads in the off-topic lounge?  It decreases discoverability and makes the community look disorganized.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.

I don't disagree with you, and there's positives and negatives about it being here.  My response about it being in the lounge was meant as bit of a joke, but also to point out that at least the participation in this thread won't be because of other motives, despite being in The Lounge instead of Phones and Hardware.

Thus my earlier comment about why the post is here.  I would hate to see the bravo police taking me to task for ulterior motives. 

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am @computergeek541 I respectfully disagree with you both.  This is discussion about a phone that could be used with PM, and it belongs in Phones & Hardware, not in the Lounge.  What's the point of having on-topic areas if you're going to post on-topic threads in the off-topic lounge?  It decreases discoverability and makes the community look disorganized.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.

I don't disagree with you, and there's positives and negatives about it being here.  My response about it being in the lounge was meant as bit of a joke, but also to point out that at least the participation in this thread won't be because of other motives, despite being in The Lounge instead of Phones and Hardware.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

There are a number of members with elbows out these days jockeying for position to becoming an oracle.  I don't want to get in the way of anyone's aspirations.  Smiley Very Happy

The good news about posting in the lounge has to do with the fact that you'll get honest discussion about this phone model and opinions about the price, instead of people just looking for bravos to pad January's community rewards (since bravos here supposedly don't count). 

You put it in much more eloqent words. 

EDIT:  case-in-point:  @RobertQc had to point this thread out to someone that was asking about another phone (that turns out to be mostly incompatible with PM) in the Phones & Hardware area: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Nokia-8110-4G-Compatibility/m-p/31392... He might not have needed to, had this thread been where it's supposed to be.  Just sayin'. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

This phone is a year old based on release date.  The price is not bad.  Given that it is an android one phone, it will receive android pie via google and who knows, it might get the next edition Q, whatever that stands for.  BHP ships to Canada and has a good track record with Canadian buyers.  This is an option for those who are not comfortable with buying from overseas sellers.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449873-REG/moto_pa8s0024us_moto_x4_android_one.html

I'm not so sure that this phone is not part of the Android One program.  My understanding was that only the version with 6GB RAM and 64GB storage space will receive those super quick updates.

I actually had this phone before but decided not to keep it and then just resold it (wasn't happy with the call quality). 

This model was actually a little cheaper a few weeks ago, I believe around $220 (CAD). 

I did check on the google site to confirm.  I assume the information on the BHP site is accurate. 

https://www.android.com/phones/moto-x4/

Looks like you're good. 

The Motorola Mobility site also is selling Android One 32GB.  Like i said, I could swear that it was only the 64GB storage version that had Android One.  I could have been mistaken or a new variant released.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4-android-one

Considering that it has only one speaker, the sound quality is suprisingly loud and good for media playback.  If selfies are your thing, there's a front-firing LED flash.  IP68 is a nice bonus (a feature that I think all phones should have since we use our phones outdoors).  What I didn't like was that I found that the mic quality wasn't the greatest and I found the phone to be slightly square and clunky.  That could be just because I've become use to these 18 (and sometimes higher):9 screen aspect ratios.

For me the only negative of this phone is screen size.  I want 6+inch screens because I am visually challenged when looking at tiny screens.  A lot of people care little about the software side.  The best hardware without software is nothing but a door wedge.  I really enjoy the routine updates with android one program, so much so that I don't think too much about rooting my phones anymore.  Well maybe after support ends. 

Many of the current crop of phones at 5.5 to 6.0 inches are as big and provide as much screen real estate as the phone manufactuers would like us to believe because of the 18:9 aspect ratios.

I put a Moto x4 (5.2 inches)  and an LG G6 (5.7 inches) side by side, and because of the 16:9 vs. 18:9 ratios, I noticed about an identical amount of  usable screen space when watching a tv show recorded at 16:9.  I'll admit that the 18:9 screen ratio is nice when dealing with movies that are filmed slightly wider. With these newer phones with 18:9 screens, you're going to be doing more vertical scrolling.

Before I forget, there's one thing that I found invaluable in the Moto x4.  I'm hoping that Lenovo left this feature intact for the Android One model, but on the non-android one version, there's a feature that allows you to use the fingerprint sensor as a home, back, and recent app button.  This way, you can permanently remove the on-screen buttons so that they don't take up space, and you also don't need to swipe all over the place in the search to get them back onto your screen after you or an app has decided to hide them.  The fingerprint sensor can also be programmed to lock and unlock your screen without needing to set up fingerprints and a PIN (if you don't feel the need to set up those security features).

If you're a screen mirorror type of person, don't bother trying with the Moto x4.  Miracast is disabled on all versions, Android One or not.  It's Chomecast or nothing (unless you root and modify a setting). 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I'm not so sure that this phone is not part of the Android One program.  My understanding was that only the version with 6GB RAM and 64GB storage space will receive those super quick updates.

I actually had this phone before but decided not to keep it and then just resold it (wasn't happy with the call quality). 

This model was actually a little cheaper a few weeks ago, I believe around $220 (CAD). 

I did check on the google site to confirm.  I assume the information on the BHP site is accurate. 

Looks like you're good. 

The Motorola Mobility site also is selling Android One 32GB.  Like i said, I could swear that it was only the 64GB storage version that had Android One.  I could have been mistaken or a new variant released.

Considering that it has only one speaker, the sound quality is suprisingly loud and good for media playback.  If selfies are your thing, there's a front-firing LED flash.  IP68 is a nice bonus (a feature that I think all phones should have since we use our phones outdoors).  What I didn't like was that I found that the mic quality wasn't the greatest and I found the phone to be slightly square and clunky.  That could be just because I've become use to these 18 (and sometimes higher):9 screen aspect ratios.

For me the only negative of this phone is screen size.  I want 6+inch screens because I am visually challenged when looking at tiny screens.  A lot of people care little about the software side.  The best hardware without software is nothing but a door wedge.  I really enjoy the routine updates with android one program, so much so that I don't think too much about rooting my phones anymore.  Well maybe after support ends. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Thanks @will13am, but why not post this in Phones & Hardware area?  It's on topic...

There are a number of members with elbows out these days jockeying for position to becoming an oracle.  I don't want to get in the way of anyone's aspirations.  Smiley Very Happy

The good news about posting in the lounge has to do with the fact that you'll get honest discussion about this phone model and opinions about the price, instead of people just looking for bravos to pad January's community rewards (since bravos here supposedly don't count). 

You put it in much more eloqent words. 

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Thanks @will13am, but why not post this in Phones & Hardware area?  It's on topic...

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Looks like you're good. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I'm not so sure that this phone is part of the Android One program.  I know that b&h does say Android One.  My understanding was that only the version with 6GB RAM and 64GB storage space will receive those super quick updates.  I very well could be mistaken about that, or perhaps Lenovo released a 3/32 Android One version later on.

This model was actually a little cheaper a few weeks ago (the one with the Amazon voice software that can't even be used in Canada), I believe around $220 (CAD). 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

LOL @will13am you get the latest update for Essential release a couple of days ago?  Haven't done a sim swap yet but I might soon to get it.

You mean the January patch released on Monday? First time ever on my Pixel 2, it gave me a notification to install it without going into settings to update. I never have to swap sims, why do you guys have to? Smiley Tongue

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I like the US price if it was Canadian Dollars lol

Me too (not the movement)!  I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, there are a lot of negatives that go with it. 

LOL @will13am you get the latest update for Essential release a couple of days ago?  Haven't done a sim swap yet but I might soon to get it.

Still on the December security patch.  I am tired of wearing out the SIM tray, I will wait.  BTW, the wife got a Koodo sourced LG G7 One from the Mobile Shop during boxing week.  Yeah, I know I always say friends don't let friends get LG G phones because of all the historical hardware issues.  I have to make exceptions because sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. The first thing that happened when the G7 One was turned on was a notification that pie December update was available with suggestion to charge the battery because the level was too low to accommodate an OS update.  This is the first android one phone experience and I am really liking the OS experience.  The price was right too.  With PCO points, it is about half the cost of the PH-1. 

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Me too (not the movement)!  I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, there are a lot of negatives that go with it. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.