cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

once data limit is reached it will be cut off, will be leaving

vinnyc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

once data limit is reached it will no longer be working unless you purchase a data addon, will be leaving for a new provider that offer same pricing but will throttle the data once limit is reached instead of cutting it off, eg chattr, lucky, ya i know its going to be slow but some is better than nothing when stuck in the middle of nowhere and just need some info from google.

18 REPLIES 18

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@vinnyc 

Thanks for the update. Before I joined pm one of my accounts had the $40 everything unlimited plan. The only problem...no signal at home in Vancouver and no signal once you left the GVRD. While freedom has made significant investment in their cell tower coverage since that time most lower priced plans have limited nationwide coverage and well no one can beat my current price of $0.

Depending on who ends up buying freedom.....if its wind/freedom's former CEO Alex Krstajic(also former pm founder/CEO) then you will be back on the telus network sooner than you think as telus has made an agreement to sell network sharing to Alec Krfstajic's new company bidding to takeover freedom from the Rogers/Shaw merger.

vinnyc

update: other than the porting difficulties, need to use telus and not PM as your carrier, switching to freedom has been a good choice for me, prepaid at $29+tx /month , but ymmv, for me, no regrets

vinnyc

switched to prepaid freedom, $29+tx/mnth. lte 3gb/mnth, 10gb bonus to be used if monthly used up,  issues with porting using public mobile as carrier, used telus and port was successful

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@vinnyc 

Make sure you read the small print....if it let's you because Chatr won't let you see your pay as you go overage rate unless you already have an account that's a big red robbers flag. But they give you unlimited data at 64kbps. Enough to read emails, listen to poor quality music, use Whatsapp and come to the community but why would you if you are with Chatr?

Why you asking him!? 😉 🤣

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@vinnyc 

Schedule a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan. With rewards it will cost $10. Activate with freedom with a new number. Call forward your pm number to freedom if you don't have a dual sim phone or a spare one. Test out freedom's service. When you are in an area with no freedom service or no nationwide service privileges you can use your pm service.

You can also suspend your pm service for up to 89/90 days to keep your cost down. Do this via lost/stolen* before midnight eastern on day 30 of your cycle and your voicemail remains active so you can still recieve incoming call messages on your pm number and check them by calling your pm number from your freedom phone.**

* Using lost/stolen causes your rewards to not be applied upon renewal. Once you pay and reactivate contact customer service to have them applied manually. Going forward you will have that reward credit sitting in your available funds so reactivating will only cost $10.

** To check your voicemail from another phone simply call your pm phone number. Once it connects press "*" and enter your voicemail password. You can now access your voicemail services. You could even change your voicemail greeting to give out your freedom phone number.

Enjoy your freedom service. Test out the coverage, reception and the limits on their nationwide service. If you find you don't need a back up to their coverage limitations with telus's comprehensive nation wide coverage suspend your pm service. (But keep the voicemail active.) Reactivate your pm service when required (by day 88/89) or when needed (ie. travel outside of freedom's coverage zone).*** Time your pm account suspensions accordingly to reactivate during December's "more is merrier" campaign to claim your free holiday 2gb data add on and 500 international min add on bonuses.****

*** Based on your current rewards of $5 You can maintain your pm service for about 350 days for $30. You need to reactivate service after 88/89 days for 30 days 3 times a year (350 days). $15 - $5 (rewards) =$10×3/30 days=$30+tax. (That's $0.30/day for active service or about $0.08/day cost for maintaining your account for the entire 350 days.)

**** You usually need to be active for sometime between December 1st and 31st to claim the holiday add on gifts from pm. If your next renewal occurs in May suspend via lost/stolen on day 30 (as above) for 88/89 days and reactivate again in August for 30 days and suspend again on day 30. Your next renewal 88/90 days later will occur in December. Just set reminders up so you don't miss reactivating by day 89....or your account and phone # is cancelled and lost forever.

Before I switched to public mobile I had freedoms $40 everything unlimited plan and grandfathered $35 telus plan with no data. My telus service on a flip phone backed up the limitations with freedom's service. Whenever I travelled across Canada (Winnipeg, Montreal, Halifax etc...has no service) or went camping my telus phone with free roaming was my go to or when I got home. As soon as I entered my yard I lost usable freedom service.....I discovered  was in a little dead zone in the middle of Vancouver!

$35 a month was a lot to back up freedom's service limitations making the $40 deal not so great. Once I discovered pm and switched I got a lot more for a total of $40 and with some diligence within 1 year my two bills went to $0. Keep your pm account and try and refer some people. Eventually your "no effort" rewards will go from $5/30 days to $7.

All you need is 8 referrals. This is easier to do around xmas time with promos and the "more is merrier" gifts. The bonus referral credits of $30 (6 months×30 days) when offered would immediately bring your pm plan cost down to $4 ($1 reward+$5=$6) $15 - $6=$9 - $5=$4. Just start identifying potential referrals now so you can capitalize on pm offers and you can then have a free active pm account to back up your freedom service.

If you decide a month for now or a year from now that freedom is not for you then you always have your pm account to come back to with any add ons and rewards intact and not have to settle for the less rewarding Public Points program. If you dismiss this idea then at least cash out to the points program for discounted data add on redemptions or consider a private message negotiation for someone to take over your account.

If you are in Vancouver I have a couple of extra freedom SIM cards. Just send me a private message.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

vinnyc

im going to try out freedom prepaid, they cover my area, lte speed, 10gb bonus, $25 /1.5gb, $30/ 3gb, unltd canada wide min and unltd international text/mms  free sim but $10 activation.

the rewards for me on pm didnt amount to much, no great loss

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@vinnyc 

Make sure you read the small print....if it let's you because Chatr won't let you see your pay as you go overage rate unless you already have an account that's a big red robbers flag. But they give you unlimited data at 64kbps. Enough to read emails, listen to poor quality music, use Whatsapp and come to the community but why would you if you are with Chatr?

At that speed no wonder people choose to be Lucky subscribers as their unlimited data is 128kbps so you can definitely do decent web browsing, music streaming and everything chatr has...you get the autopay data bonus at both providers as long as you give a supplementary payment card to your chosen new partner.

Yes that's your new pre-authorized payment partner so if you give them free reign to your finances. They both have pay as you go charges, overages and extra fees. But lucky has an app! Cool! Both of them will be $5 more per month than public mobile, then $6 and finally $7.....+tax.

So if you have the $25 plan at pm minus current rewards of $5=$20+tax (12%=$2.40)=$22.40 No rewards with the other two So a consistent $25 as long as you don't get charged anything extra for roaming out of a Chatr zone or extra minutes for being lucky enough to call forward or put your mom hold....so $25+ tax (12%=$3)=$28 or $22.40 then $21.28 and finally $20.16 with pm. 

But I basically I consider myself with unlimited data but only one of my two accounts has throttled 4G LTE data to 3mbps the other one has full speed 4G LTE data. The two accounts together cost the same as the $25 plan but with double autopay and loyalty rewards despite you being here almost 6 months longer than me those two rewards currently give me $8 vs your $5. I only get one community reward but between it and my referrals I am the public mobile marketing model $0 bill+$0 bill (+$$😁)!

But I beg you one question? Where have you been? Double the rewards then double the freebie gifts! I mean I have been a little luckier than most and more dedicated than most but you should still have a bit of a kitty or a booty? Or are you just unlucky to have a member taking the mickey?!!

I also have another 5gb bonus data add on from my activation on my other account as well.08/20 promos were offered to most but not all BC and Alberta customers recieved this offer and a few eastern Canada customers recieved it randomly.I also have another 5gb bonus data add on from my activation on my other account as well.08/20 promos were offered to most but not all BC and Alberta customers recieved this offer and a few eastern Canada customers recieved it randomly.Screenshot_20220318-104655~2.png

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@vinnyc 

Sounds like you've already given it a lot of thought already. I'll bet you'll really like the throttled data and the App. Some around here don't like change and love their free service so much that they don't want to try something new. Especially if they have to pay for it. lol

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@vinnyc  Unlimited throttled data can be not that useful  Change can be pricey sometimes, think twice before you go 

@vinnyc

If you're Lucky, you'll not only find the unlimited throttled data useful but also the very useful App. Give it a try, change can be good sometimes.

@vinnyc 

Agree but you need a new SIM on a $25+ plan.

You will also be on the new Points system and will also lose the $2 discount for AutoPay, $1 discount/year with PM and all the referrals discounts.

What plan are you on? $15?

vinnyc

if its such a low speed thats its a joke why not just offer it, its the little things that count ......isnt it?

i didnt think that i would need it but you never know until it happens. pm has a +2gb data /month top up for 12mnths but only for new customers, i guess after a couple of years of being a customer its still better to be a new one

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@vinnyc 

The lower tier of Rogers (Chatr), Bell (Lucky) all run on 3G.

Remember once you leave PM, your will lose all your Rewards.

Good luck.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Is that what they are? Prepaid unlimited data? It just turns to commodore 64 speed at a certain point? You learn something new everyday.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes indeed, is the value of the rewards you're getting after all this time worth the unlimited slow data? Does it make the net of your payment per month worth it.

I like to think of the data add-ons here as the unlimited, overflow, available data on hand. Then those add-ons go back and wait until you need it again. That's your overage.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Ok

Meow
Mayor / Maire

That is completely your choice. PM offers some perks other companies don't.

If data even at snail speed is important to you, please pick provider offering exactly that.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Give it a try...we'll be here when you get back.

Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.