cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad 2 is too old for many apps.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

iPad 2 is too old and the latest updates are not compatible. Able to connect to yahoo and safari etc but not to Google . When I try Google I get a pop up security alert.  Discovered that many apps wont even load including the simple Gas Buddy app.  It's sad but a fact of life now that the expensive electronics one buys are made obsolete in a couple of years just so we are forced to buy a replacement. 

My 2012 MacBook pro that I purchased new for more than $3000 is now also on the cuss of becoming a relic.

15 REPLIES 15

Revelry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My iPad on the fritz too. My iPhone also started crashing on apps and it was still on its one year apple warranty. 

BEER

@geopublic wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

This is the reason why I don't own iOS devices.  They cost too much and as a result, users hang onto them like it will last forever. 

@will13am in fairness:  Apple tends to offer updates and support to significantly older hardware than just about any Android manufacturer (if not ALL Android manufacturers).  It's hard to criticize them for this.

(That said, I'm also not an iOS fan, but not becuase of lack of support over the years.)

I disagree Android is open source so once a manufacture ends support other parties step up to provide support like XDA forums etc. That doesn't happen with the fruit brand.

That’s exactly why I prefer Apple products. Using 3rd party open source apps leaves you vulnerable to hackers and viruses that is a major concern if you use your phone for banking etc..

BEER

Yes I have and still love apple products and will continue using them. Apple products are on the expensive side but then usually you get what you pay for. 

BEER

Yes of course I have and will continue to use Apple products - I used to be one of these persons that just had to have the latest apple product until I smartened up realizing that a little better resolution or a nano second faster doesn’t make much difference but is just good marketing. 

My iPad 2 still works fine for what I actually use it for (that never included connecting to data) but  being a bit of a techie and during a boring period decided to update it and discovered that it’s too old for some apps that I never have need to use .  LOL. 

I use both iOS and Android devices, and there are pros and cons for both.

I prefer to use cross-platform compatible apps when and where possible, so I'm not fully tied into one platform or the other, but I do lean towards Android for cellular phone and iOS for my tablet.

@BEER, I've recently replaced my 6-year-old iPadAir (gen 1) with the 2019 Gen 3.  The price was insane back in 2013, but much more reasonable for the non-LTE device base model (64 GB storage).

The Air 1 still is supported, but not all the latest iOS features - if interested, I could sell it privately, but you should look at the iPadAir 3 - it's exceptionally well priced.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Agreed.  It is one of the benefits of paying the huge prices.  Fresh software can overcome the fact the hardware ages like yogurt out in the hot sun. 

@will13am they actually do a very good job of keeping older hardware performant and feeling near factory-fresh (if you ignore the older battery throttling scandal, but they have since addressed that).  This is one of the benefits of providing the entire user experience from hardware through to the OS as well as offering relatively few devices every year: the tight coupling and lack of hardware variety allows them to really cater to each supported device in the wild and do a great job.  

Again, my responses in this thread probably sound like I'm an iGuy, which is pretty far from the truth. Both ecosystems have strengths and weaknesses, and long-term support from the manufacturer is definitely a solid win for Apple.  That's all I'm saying.  🙂

Because we are trying to compare apples to oranges (no pun intended), the discussion can be never ending.  What is unequivocal here is that OP is lamenting about how expensive it is to own Apple products.  We have to assume that OP has taken full benefit of everything the brand has to offer. 

@geopublic wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

This is the reason why I don't own iOS devices.  They cost too much and as a result, users hang onto them like it will last forever. 

@will13am in fairness:  Apple tends to offer updates and support to significantly older hardware than just about any Android manufacturer (if not ALL Android manufacturers).  It's hard to criticize them for this.

(That said, I'm also not an iOS fan, but not becuase of lack of support over the years.)

I disagree Android is open source so once a manufacture ends support other parties step up to provide support like XDA forums etc. That doesn't happen with the fruit brand.

You are going to hear a lot of gripes about xda not being an option for most users.  I see xda as a bonus.  When you pay a fraction of the cost for hardware, its useful life can be shorter and still offer good value. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

Agreed.  It is one of the benefits of paying the huge prices.  Fresh software can overcome the fact the hardware ages like yogurt out in the hot sun. 

@will13am they actually do a very good job of keeping older hardware performant and feeling near factory-fresh (if you ignore the older battery throttling scandal, but they have since addressed that).  This is one of the benefits of providing the entire user experience from hardware through to the OS as well as offering relatively few devices every year: the tight coupling and lack of hardware variety allows them to really cater to each supported device in the wild and do a great job.  

Again, my responses in this thread probably sound like I'm an iGuy, which is pretty far from the truth. Both ecosystems have strengths and weaknesses, and long-term support from the manufacturer is definitely a solid win for Apple.  That's all I'm saying.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@geopublic wrote:

@geopublic okay so we're getting into the weeds a bit here, but for the average user, they're not going to bother with rooting, custom ROMs, etc.  I know that it's possible with Android and not with "the fruit brand", and this is part of the appeal of the Android ecosystem for enthusiasts and technophiles.  And trust me, I'm a technophile myself, but I've just never seen the need to bother with custom ROMs when companies like OnePlus offer great skins, or you can get a pure Android experience on Pixel and Android One devices.  

If we want to stick to an apples-to-Apples comparison, where we're talking about ongoing support from the original manufacturer, then I'm sorry, but Apple has most if not all flavours of Android beat, and this is going to be the typical experience for the majority of users, IMHO.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

@will13am wrote:

+1 Smiley Happy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

That is the downfall of modern electronics of forced obsolescence.  Most companies will only provide support for usually 2 to 3 years.  Moore's Law about computers is that processor speeds, or overall processing power for computers will double every two years.

Need Help? Let's chat.