Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i get my plan down to $0?

shaker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

22 REPLIES 22

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you have $25 plan for example, you could pay $0 if you refer to 25 people. 

shaker

Public Mobile is a no frills service (not No Frills ;please) that does not have a call centre. Support comes from moderators on their community forum here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... _Community 

List of their current plans here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

SIM cards cost $10. They can also be purchased Online or at WOW mobileThe Mobile ShopLondon DrugsK-Mobile, some Koodo kiosks, and Walmart.

Data in ongoing plans does not roll-over to the next cycle. Lump sum data add-ons do roll-over.

PM uses LTE network for 3G plans. On 3G plans, latency is as good as LTE, speeds are throttled down to 3G.

There are no overage charges. Once you run out of your allotted data, it just stops.

Porting a number happens in at least 2 stages: The first stage, which typically happens in less than a minute, allows your PM SIM/phone to make calls and texts under the ported number. The second stage, which takes longer depending on how long it takes your current carrier to release the number, allows your PM SIM/phone to receive calls and texts made to your ported number. Before the second stage arrives, your old SIM will still be receiving calls/texts.

You can change your plan at any time. When you do, the options are
a) immediately or
b) with the next billing cycle ("renewal")
Since PM is prepaid, if you choose "immediately", you will be billed immediately and you will NOT be credited for the time remaining of your previous prepaid plan. Unless you need features of the new plan immediately, it is usually best to change your plan with the next billing cycle. You cannot schedule a change further ahead than the next billing cycle.

On-going promotions:
1) $1 per friend: If someone activates an account using your PM phone number as the referral, you will get a $1 added to your account every 30 days while their account remains active. There is no limit, and if your monthly credit exceeds your plan's cost, it will accumulate in your account. It can't be cashed out, but can be spent on add-ons.
2) People opening a new account will get a $10 if they have a PM mobile phone number to put under the section: "Were you referred to Public Mobile by a friend?".
3) $2 auto-pay. PM is a pre-paid service. If you keep a credit card on file authorized to pay for next cycle's costs, you get a $2 credit to your account every cycle. Since keeping a credit card on file is so easy to do for most people, people typically consider the plans $2 cheaper than the listed price. If account activation doesn't go perfectly smoothly, make sure auto-pay was enabled as it is commonly not enabled when hiccups happen.
4) After your first year with PM, you get a $1 credit each 30 day cycle. This increases by $1 each year to a maximum of $5.
Current promotion:
$10 referral credit: $1 credit to person making referral to PM, $10 credit to person referred to PM (and starting a new account)
If you get a error message during the activation process, and it looks like it didn't work: Test the SIM card in your phone.
If the SIM card works for sending texts or calling, then the activation is complete. Text another phone to confirm the phone number, and then create a PM account.
If the SIM card doesn't work, check if your credit card has a pending charge. If there is no pending charge, try activating your SIM card again.'
If the SIM card still doesn't work and there is a pending credit card charge, contact one of the moderators on the PM forum for assistance.

PM advantages: Price (especially if you take advantage of the perks), no overages, no credit checks since it's prepaid and the service itself reliable, long distance and data add ons roll over until used up and are cheaper than other carriers, referrals can be had, with Other Carriers, they have a limit per year, PM does not have restrictions or limits to their rewards until your bill becomes $0, you can always up the plan to continue to earn more rewards if it gets to that. VOIP calling has been confirmed working by several members, Wifi calling works via 3rd party apps

PM disadvantages: no call center, slow website especially when busy, 3G LTE lite data speeds which is plenty fast for most applications but not always (good for 99% of users, speeds are 3Mbps, not really a disadvantage (unless you have lots of data on your plan for video streaming) but listed here anyways), no phones to buy, limited add ons, no US roaming aside from incoming text when you travel. With PM you need to buy the add ons which are cheap to have all roaming features. carrier Wifi/VoLTE (not working), no eSim, no international roaming (US only). Comparable to Other Carriers, they are all pretty close to the same thing price and service wise as is. PM has all the rewards which is why this provider is so popular.

Regards.

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13 @will13am @mimmo 

Guess one of you can transfer the below thread to lounge to as same guy did it again.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-can-i-purchase-Future-Dated-Addon/m...

Not going to keep it up this post is moved to The real Abyss not just The Lounge

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Jb456   Lol...just merge it with this one and rename it how to not game the system.

@ShawnC13 @will13am @mimmo 

Guess one of you can transfer the below thread to lounge to as same guy did it again.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-can-i-purchase-Future-Dated-Addon/m...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it has always gone on but my observation is the repeat answers. Many times over. And not being ninja'd. Well after answers have already been posted. And then yes all the bravos that follow from each other on those repeat answers.

I've said it before though that if someone wants to sit at their computer 24/7 constantly clicking refresh and promptly posting an answer then that is their right. Hopefully it's correct 🙂

I've also said it before that I think all this will blow over when life returns to some sense of normal ie. off to work and kid activities or personal pursuits outdoors. It's the not-normal that I think is magnifying the matter.

mimmo: maybe not providing tips to gaming would be preferable.

@darlicious wrote:

@popping 

Your screenshot of the bravo leaderboard from two years ago really puts into perspective what has happened in the last few months to the community. Bravos have been watered down to a meaningless Facebook "like", threads are filled with not 3 or 4 of the same answer in quick succession  but filled with 10, 12 or 20 of the same answer. I'm so tired of seeing the same macro (lol I learned what that was a couple of weeks ago) or copy and pasted answer filled with every hedge my bet answer to get the solution. The deterioration of the quality of posts and bravo value that accompanies them has precipitous since february. I can almost pinpoint it to when I took over the leaderboard with 800 bravos and hadn't even noticed until @will13am pointed it out to me. I was so proud of myself....six months of hard work and a huge learning curve.

My glory lasted a whole week and the two man race started with two starkly different warriors. One whose unique and vast knowledge about public mobile and the operating systems of a myriad of phones has helped countless members and the other determined to be the fastest, most prolific, all encompassing and unbeatable bravo leader there ever has or ever will be on the community.

This has now caused every new member to think this is the norm. Newcomers either jump on this senseless bandwagon or don't even try because they think the time they have to contribute and learn is worthless in comparison.....which is sad because the talented, skilled and selfless souls will give of their time elsewhere where it will be valued. Already so many of the regular members who contribute true quality help, opinion, knowledge and mentorship to the community have stepped back....sickened by the poorly disguised gamesmanship and selfish pursuit of notoriety and the stroking of one's ego. Even as prolific as my posting has been (and this turning into a wall of text....whoops sorry!) I have dialed back only posting when something has been missed or in a current discussion. Retreating to reading and posting late at night to avoid being ninja'd half a dozen times and being able to help the occasional OP one on one because everyone else is asleep. Or as @mimmo said....im heading to the lounge. Well a few of us may have been banished here awhile back (lol joking!!!) But the lounge has become the cool place to chill and hang out with interesting threads, discussions and even @CannonFodder 's  Off Topic meme thread that walks the terms of service line more often than not is much more interesting than the daily shenanigans going on in the community.

The times are a changin' and its come the time to change the community...it needs a complete overhaul or instead of change it will just come to an end or worse yet turn into fido's community!

The deterioration of the community is literally complete.  Personally, I would feel shame instead of pride in making the daily records.  The bravo button is intended to reward good effort.  Recognizing that there is a social element involved, the 80/20 rule may apply.  If a "friend" posts, a 20% benefit of the doubt is used to recognize the 80% effort.  We have gone to the point of what I see as the -10/110 rule.  If a friend posts something that has -10% value, 110% social considerations are applied to hitting the bravo button.  How does anyone explain this post getting 6 bravos as of now?  It is self evident those who hit the bravo button have a secret pact to bravo everything in sight in exchange for the same consideration.  To this end, you should feel that at least your efforts of months past while apparently dwarfed was for the most part earned whereas current records are not.  What is in a meaningless number that garners less and less meaning as it gets larger each day?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Auto-pay/m-p/535831/highlight...

@mimmo 

I do agree the community needs to get back to the help model it once was....the long term members talk about how it's changed over the years and I've read some old threads and you can notice the difference. But like global warming that seems glacial compared to the rapid melt that has happened in the last 3 months. This last month the worst yet.

I think the lounge has its place and I only meant it was more interesting because of the lack members seeking help and overabundance of overeager overachievers and the repetition that results. At least in the lounge there is little if any repetition and can holds ones interest during these unusual times.....nice irises btw.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious  some great points, yes Bravo's once had some meaning, they mean almost nothing now.  

We might  disagree on this, but personally I feel the community needs to get back to its original focus helping people with quality answers, and forget the race for Bravo's/likes.

as for the lounge being the most interesting place sorry  I disagree, and the wall of memes even more so .

As to the cause and solution i think PM need to do something , hopefully  the upcoming redesign that they have been discussing /working on comes sooner than later and solves some of these issues

December 1st 2019Screenshot_20191201-195346.png

February 1st 2020.......the beginning of the end.Screenshot_20200201-004944.png

mimmo

I don't understand, if people   are going to try and game the system some effort should be put into it.  it's not that hard, use  two different accounts and two different browsers, chrome, edge safari, opera, explorer....  Or ask the question using your phone  and then your PC to type faster, I guess you could already have the answer waiting ready to go.  Just don't post the answer before the question 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Lounging this as the OP answered their own question immediately with a copy and paste from the help article.  Not sure what that is about but it looks like potential gaming

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping

@Naepalm wrote:

@popping actual kinda serious question, what is occasional by PM standards? 

If occasional = $2.00 community reward...

It depends on what time frame you are talking about.  It changed from time to time.  It is relative to all contribution by members for the month in question.

With members isolation at home last couple of months, the top 30 days bravos leader is over 3000 bravos.  Currently, it is not possible to provide occasional contribution to get anything.

It may be possible 2 years ago.  

The following screenshot was taken on 31 Oct 2018 11:04 PM MT(1 Nov 2018 1:04AM ET)

Bravos -2018-10-31.JPG

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping 

I think it was a straight copy/paste from the help pages or some such source.

You're right!
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/rewards-faqs

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping 

I think it was a straight copy/paste from the help pages or some such source.

@popping actual kinda serious question, what is occasional by PM standards? 

If occasional = $2.00 community reward...

popping

@shaker 

Why are you using an non-current $45 plan as an example?

If you use the $40 plan as an example, you do not need to wait 5 years to get your free plan with your 36 referrals, autopay and community rewards.

@Anonymous LMAO! BHAHAHA 

"and check thats another solution for me" at this rate I should be able to get that 15.00 community reward hahaha 😝

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shaker 

?? Blank textbox looking like a newb typing in the subject line.

Then answering the alleged question immediately after using copy/paste no less. You know we can see your username there right? Not looking forward to seeing you select your answer as the solution again.

@shaker yup only 36 referalls lol!

with my 2,  I should be at 36 by 2045 😜

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@shaker Use reward system. Autopay + loyalty + refer a friend + community help.

shaker

You can earn up to your current plan value in Rewards, reducing it to $0. Once you reach the value of your plan, you will not be able to accumulate any further Rewards in that plan period, and you will not be able to save Rewards and apply them to future months. Here’s an example of how you could get your plan down to $0:

1. You are on a $45, 30-day plan
  2. You have been with Public Mobile for 5 years
  3. You signed up for AutoPay
  4. You occasionally help others out in the Community
  5. You referred 36 friends to Public Mobile who are still active members

You will earn $5 in Loyalty Rewards + $2 in AutoPay Rewards + $2 Community Rewards + 36 referrals at $1/30 days. That’s $45 in total Rewards, and a sweet $0 plan!

Need Help? Let's chat.