cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another complaint on the Public Mobile Rewards forced migration...

mmcinty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been loyal with Public Mobile for the better side of a decade.  At present my monthly plan is $34 monthly for 20gb data which is more than sufficient.  From the $34 monthly I have total discounts in the amount of $8 monthly that consists of $5 monthly for loyalty, $2 for auto-pay and $1 monthly for friend referral.

The new rewards program is being branded as "better."  From what I can calculate and all things remaining for my service, consideration for loyalty is greatly devalued to 10 points/$10 annually and will "earn" 2.7 points monthly upon migration (5% of $34 equals 1.7 plus 1 point for my friend referral).  

With the migration I go from a total annual savings/rewards of $96.00 ($8 multiplied by 12 months equals $96.00) to a new $42.40 (2.7 points converts to $2.70 monthly multiplied by 12 months with an annual loyalty bonus of 10 points).  The migration nets a total reduction of loyal bonuses of~55.8%!

I don't use anywhere close to 20gb a month and thereby simply have no use for the 240gb bonus data related to Public Mobile's forced transition.  The forced transition isn't beneficial to me despite it being branded as such--apparently "this move will offer you more flexibility and new ways to earn and use your points, bringing a more rewarding experience to our subscribers."  [lol]  Funny how there's a failure to mention the negative impact of some but I apparently get a bunch of data I simply will never use.  

PC Mobile has a similar plan that works for me at $29 monthly and offer PC Points at 10% of the dollar value.  Assuming I'm interpreting the PC Point award valuation, I net a monthly bill before taxes at $26.10 which is 10 cents more than what I am paying now.   Plus, I go from 20gb monthly to 25gb with auto-pay.  

mmcinty_2-1711170556285.png

Sadly, the door appears to be closing on Public Mobile for me if not for anything else based on principle.  I realise points and reward programs can change at any time but remaining with Public Mobile is no longer advantageous to me so it would appear.   Thankfully switching carriers is extremely painless and with that I sign off with a soon "Farewell Public Mobile.  It's been a good almost-decade... Hello PC Mobile!"

-Mark

12 REPLIES 12

MsT24
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

There is nothing positive about this forced switch to the Public ‘points’ program. My husband and I are both on the $25/3G plan but with accumulated rewards pay less than $20 each monthly. It’s crappy 3G but we mostly use our phones for phoning and texting, so not a huge issue. We chose Public specifically for the growing rewards. We don’t use a lot of data and have banked some loyalty bonus data over the years (-we often use these when camping or during road trips). This bonus data has no time limits. The so-called ‘thank you, here’s a bunch of data for free’ has a time limit. It can only be used when you’ve used up your existing data-so another hidden rip off. The fact that they are offering a 4gig/4G plan to ‘new’ customers for $24 is a further kick in the butt! There are absolutely no true benefits offered to loyal customers in this switch. We have been watching other companies’ offers closely…

obd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sorry, you're right. I checked them out and PC also charges overage fees if you go over your data.

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@obd - The OP had a PC Mobile plan picture in the Original Post, so yeah...

obd

How did President's Choice PC mobile get into this discussion? There was no mention before. Everyone knows PM is owned by Telus and PC runs off the bell network. This discussion has been about the changes in PM rewards impacting existing legacy reward customers being shortchanged seeking more budget friendly alternatives to meet their needs. 

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mmcinty - PC Mobile seems better, till I remembered that they are technically run by Bell and that Bell lays off people. And no US roaming is a red flag for me to not go there. It may be better for you, but for me... no.

Mushmarshmallow
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for this info, I may be switching out too.

LTD2023
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My thoughts exactly! I too am waiting until the change over and if the offers for new activations are not offered to existing customers, I will be leaving too. It's too bad because I haven't had any problems with Public and have been with them along time too.

obd

I see PM has deleted these posts from The Community. I guess they don't like competition. I'm waiting untill May too. i understand that FM coverage has improved a lot since Quebecor bought them.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@obd I’m undecided until we get closer to May but I’m looking at the very same plan as well. If I do decide to switch to FM, I’ll first go on their monthly $19 4G plan with 1 GB for a test-run  to ensure their coverage meets my needs.

obd

If you don't need a lot of data, Freedom Mobile has an annual prepaid plan with unlimited Canada talk and text plus 30 GB data for the year at 4G with no data overage charges, only reduced speed, for $149/yr. that's about $14/mo. I worked out my discounts under the new point system and will be getting half of what I used to on the old legacy system. Guess where I'll be going. Very disappointed with Public!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Simply put, @mmcinty , the move here STINKS

NOTHING about it is good for customers on the Legacy rewards. 

See the announcement and reaction here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-our-Old-Rewards-Pro...

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@mmcinty  My recollection is that it is "up to" 10% and only if you use a PC credit card otherwise 5% and there are no roaming add-ons for outside Canada.  There may be an extra charge for 911 depending on province according to the fine print.  I had been looking at that plan for a family member but the fine print is rather ambiguous in some cases.

Need Help? Let's chat.