cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishing for unlimited data

Tinner1982
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I really wish that we had the option to get and unlimited data plan I would be the first to sign up..... What do you all think?

50 REPLIES 50

coolvehiclefan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For freedom mobile It's unlimited 2G data once u pass a full speed allotment and when your on their big gig and talk plans that includes free roaming off the big 3 carriers networks across Canada you still get unlimited 2G data even when roaming 

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@TheGx 

"Why shouldn't someone cancel their home internet plan and instead use their cell phone as their primary interent connection? That's the future of the internet..."

Unfortunately, that future is not here yet. That is why there is no true unlimited wireless internet and those that offer "unlimited" are throttled after a certain limit. Companies quickly realized the limits of their infrastructure (ie. Wind Mobile with their limited spectrum and limited cell towers). Maybe it will happen in the future when 5G arrives, but don't get your hopes up - wireless spectrum and cell tower counts will always be limited.

@Felixbthe1 wrote:

I want unlimited talk and text plan in Canada, unlimited data $30.00 plan. Whatever company does that will get massive sales and set the trend 

Do you believe in the tooth fairies and unicorns? 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Felixbthe1 wrote:

I want unlimited talk and text plan in Canada, unlimited data $30.00 plan. Whatever company does that will get massive sales and set the trend 

@Felixbthe1 I'm not sure I recommend holding your breath while you wait for that--unless of course your're a fan of turning blue and then getting very, very pale.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Felixbthe1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ckl wrote:

The problem with unlimited data is that there will be a small percentage of people that will abuse the heck out of it. "Abuse" meaning they will actually cancel their home internet and use the wireless plan as their primary and only means of connecting to the internet.

Wind used to have unrestricted unlimited data when they first introduced it. After severe cell tower congestion, at least in my area, they changed the plans to throttle data after a set data cap. Technically it is still unlimited as the data never stops, but after the data cap, the speed drops to 2G speeds or something like that.

IMHO, I don't know why anyone would need unlimited data on a wireless plan. I would understand the reasoning for home internet, as some xbox/ps/wii games are upwards of 80GB per download. So what's the reasoning behind wanting unlimited data on a wireless plan?

Why shouldn't someone cancel their home internet plan and instead use their cell phone as their primary interent connection? That's the future of the internet, and the first cell phone that can offer this will put the other companies out of business, or at least force everyone to offer the same.  Just like how cell phone never had unlimited minutes in the past, or how land lines never had unlimited long distance within canada before, it only a matter of time before it all becomes unlimited and market competition forces companies to offer unlimited better pricing.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The problem with unlimited data is that there will be a small percentage of people that will abuse the heck out of it. "Abuse" meaning they will actually cancel their home internet and use the wireless plan as their primary and only means of connecting to the internet.

Wind used to have unrestricted unlimited data when they first introduced it. After severe cell tower congestion, at least in my area, they changed the plans to throttle data after a set data cap. Technically it is still unlimited as the data never stops, but after the data cap, the speed drops to 2G speeds or something like that.

IMHO, I don't know why anyone would need unlimited data on a wireless plan. I would understand the reasoning for home internet, as some xbox/ps/wii games are upwards of 80GB per download. So what's the reasoning behind wanting unlimited data on a wireless plan?

Jbanks1989
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just went to israel where unlimited data, calls, texts etc were like $35CAN a month. It’s ridiculous what we pay here, we’re getting screwed! But as someone else commented, the top cellular companies are fighting for us to pay expensive for barely anything 

Salmonlips
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Of course this helps nothing but in my province, SaskTel has unlimited for 60/mo (throttled after 12GB) that'd be great but I don't want to spend 60/mo.

That being said I would like more than my Fido 2gb for something even remotely competitive

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would pay $100 / 30days for unlimited PM plan at 3G speed. Heck - limit it to 200GB and I would still jump on that.

Just saying ......

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hey @wickedgx 

@stonechucker

For now there are no unlimited data options, but that doesn` t mean usage cannot be monitored. The 3G is of course an option to unlimited data, as is switching to a different rate plan, one with more data or better speed, for now. You may want to measure data usage on the handset and only after decide which is the best offer. Unlimited data would be, of course, ideal but the rate plans on the site is also very diverse:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

Have a great day 🙂

@Oana_S, subscribing to a FULL LTE plan and switching to a force 3G connection will do that, but why would a subscriber wish to do that without considering first switching to the 3G Speed (Throttled LTE) first to get more data, and then possible access the actual 3G for increased speeds?

Confusing isn't it.  Neither of these solutions is unlimited data, which is what the user is asking about.

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hey @wickedgx,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It is possible for rate plan with LTE data included, for example, you can definitely change the speed from your phone and switch to 3G, to save some of the data to suit your needs. Hope this answers your concern. Feel free to ask other questions, I`ll be more than happy to help you! 🙂

Regards

wickedgx

Public mobile could also go the Chatr route where they offer the 1 GB at 3G speed but continue using data at a reduced speed until your next renewal date (super slow but hey it's better than nothing).

mik101

@powerg21 

Precisely, because Wind Mobile was bought out by yet another big telecom (Shaw) and renamed Freedom Mobile. Freedom, indeed...

powerg21

I have a few friends that have unlimited data on their Wind plan (now called Freedom Mobile).  They pay about $30 (includes tax) with unlimited province-wide calling and unlimited Canada-wide texting. I don't think we will see unlimited data here anytime soon. Even now Freedom Mobile does not offer unlimited data on any of their current plans.  

wickedgx

@stonechucker Yeah that would great for us as consumers. Too bad most of the good companies like public are founded under an umbrella of the big 3. I think the newest one to survive is Freedom but their signal aren't that great. 

I wish an MVNO such as Ting would come to Canada, but the CRTC doesn't let them.

Ting is a Canadian founded company, that can't operate in Canada.

It would be so nice to have more choice.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Just for fun, I checked the Rogers site.  There is a 80GB share plan that I would say is essentially unlimited.  It is only $415 per month!  Data is more expensive than gold in this country.  It is going to continue this way unfortunately until competition arrives. 

wickedgx

Likely not going to happen in Canada anytime soon unless the government does something. The big 3 are just too strong and if they actually do, it'll be very expensive

Need Help? Let's chat.