cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Why public mobile is among the best in Canada?

Monthly Credits Get You to a $0 Phone Plan

Public Mobile plans are about the same price as their competitors, but they offer more ways to get credits towards your next bill.

• $1 off for every friend you refer for every month they stay a customer (plus a $10 finders fee)
  • $2 off when you set up pre-authorized payments on a credit card
  • $1 off every 30 days after your first year as a customer, $2 off after your second year, $3 after three years and so on
  • Up to $20 off every 30 days when you contribute to their online customer support community
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Jiminy Christmas. Do we need a whole thread of duplicated marketing materials that is already amply provided on the site?

Oh wait...nvm 😞

I moved this thread to the lounge.

shaker

No Credit Checks or Contracts

Every Public Mobile plan is prepaid, so you won't need a credit check or have to sign a contract. Pay for what you plan to use, then cancel and walk away whenever you want. No cancellation fees. No problems.

You'll need to register a credit card if you sign up with AutoPay and you'll enjoy extra bonuses like larger data caps and a $2 credit on every bill.

shaker

Public Mobile 1GB + Talk + Text

The best and cheapest cell phone plan is Public Mobile's prepaid 1GB + Talk + Text plan for $23/month. Just like Koodo, Public Mobile runs on the Telus network covering 99% of Canadians. Data speeds are slowed down to just 3Mbps, but that's still fast enough to chat, browse and even stream Spotify. While $25/30-days might seem high, it includes unlimited nationwide talk time, unlimited text, and Public Mobile has lots of ways to reduce your monthly bill. For example:

• Every 30 days you're credited with $2 towards your next bill when you set up AutoPay
  • After one year, you're credited $1 every 30 days. Then it's $2 after the second year, $3 after the third year, and up to $5/30-days credit for five years of loyalty
  • Save $1/30-days for every friend you refer, and a bonus $10 finder's fee
  • Up to $20 more per bill for helping in the community forum

Public Mobile also has more data options. If you find 1GB isn't enough then get up to 8.5GB data on their larger plans. 

shaker

How Much Mobile Data Do You Need?

Canada has some of the most expensive data rates in the world, so the more you know about how much data you use, the better you can pick the cheapest mobile phone plan.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@shaker 

Telus used to be the leader in terms of deployed technology. Biggest, fastest, bestest. But that was years ago.

Bell pulled ahead in recent years and hasn't relinquished that lead.

And Rogers is the single largest entity of the Big Three by almost any metric. Now also the first (and only) carrier with some 5G, plus the most standalone coverage.

Although Telus and Bell (and SaskTel, etc) have a network sharing agreement. In effect they pool their hardware and can each focus on quality of service (along with profit) in a "portion" of Canada while also advertising "Canada's Largest" "Nation-wide" "Coast-to-Coast" coverage - their combined coverage exceeds what Rogers can offer. From a consumer perspective they're basically very much the same phone network and same phone service with different flavours of billing. And these days they maintain close parity with the way they structure their plans and prices ... in the end they're almost interchangeable unless one or the other happens to sell a desirable device or commodity feature the others happen to lack.

Public Mobile's "gimmick" is generally low pricing across the board. Without any hidden surcharges and annoyance fees. And a Rewards system which pays off better than any other in the long run. Sometimes they surprise us with free gifts and other motivations, maybe not stuff everyone can use and maybe not enough stuff for those who will use it, yet still far more than I've seen any of the other carriers ever do for their customers.

But Public Mobile is also not the clever, agile, aggressive leader it once was. It's generally become content to simply follow the lead of the other third-tier carriers, match their promos, and avoid rocking the boat.

Telus owns Koodo and Public. Bell owns Virgin and Lucky. Rogers owns Fido and Chatr. Shaw owns Freedom. There's really not as many options as you think, just the Big Three (with their prime-tier, second-tier, and third-tier offerings) and Freedom (if you live in a Freedom Zone) and "little" carriers like SaskTel or Ice Wireless (which basically operate in provinces/territories where the Big Three are locked out).

It's an oligopoly, it's not a free market. And it jealously guards its territory from disruptive competition or foreign incursions. A little weird but the logic, expectations and rules of "normal" economics don't really apply to this business in Canada.

shaker

Do I own my wireless telephone number?

If I quit Public Mobile , but not join any other Wireless Carrier , for the immediate future, Will i Own my number?

shaker

Re: Do I own my wireless telephone number?

You have the right to take (or “port”) your phone number to another Canadian telecommunications service provider. However, please note that you do
not own your number. If you leave Public Mobile and choose not to take your phone number with you, we have the right to assign your number to another
customer. You also do not own any IP address, network equipment identifier, domain name, email address or other identifier assigned by Public Mobile.
We may, after giving you at least thirty days notice, change any such numbers without liability.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/g0l02radjx86/6ugIapieP6Oax1Zw5SatTs/57a8945a18a94e4ceaf179abf2904bc5/Pu...

Need Help? Let's chat.