cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why public mobile is among the best in Canada?

shaker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Because they're owned by Telus, Public Mobile uses the Telus Mobility network. That's a really good thing, because year after year Telus takes the prize for the fastest, largest, and most reliable cell phone network across Canada. They have coverage for 99% of Canadians, and you get full access to that when you're a Public Mobile customer.

Public Mobile plans put twice as much mobile data in your pocket for half the price of most plans with premium carriers like Telus, Rogers or Bell. While they compete directly with Chatr and Lucky Mobile, Public Mobile is the only one that lets you switch to full-speed LTE data. It costs more for a lower data cap, but it's nice to have the option without having to switch carriers.

32 REPLIES 32

Karenhill03
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

Great prices, easy to use online system

@shaker 

It is not appropriate for a thread to be started, a reply to be imemdaitely made to answer your own question, and then to grant yourself the solution.

@shaker ???

lol #wts

shaker

You have the right to take (or “port”) your phone number to another Canadian telecommunications service provider. However, please note that you do
not own your number. If you leave Public Mobile and choose not to take your phone number with you, we have the right to assign your number to another
customer. You also do not own any IP address, network equipment identifier, domain name, email address or other identifier assigned by Public Mobile.
We may, after giving you at least thirty days notice, change any such numbers without liability.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/g0l02radjx86/6ugIapieP6Oax1Zw5SatTs/57a8945a18a94e4ceaf179abf2904bc5/Pu...

shaker

If I quit Public Mobile , but not join any other Wireless Carrier , for the immediate future, Will i Own my number?

@shaker 

Telus used to be the leader in terms of deployed technology. Biggest, fastest, bestest. But that was years ago.

Bell pulled ahead in recent years and hasn't relinquished that lead.

And Rogers is the single largest entity of the Big Three by almost any metric. Now also the first (and only) carrier with some 5G, plus the most standalone coverage.

Although Telus and Bell (and SaskTel, etc) have a network sharing agreement. In effect they pool their hardware and can each focus on quality of service (along with profit) in a "portion" of Canada while also advertising "Canada's Largest" "Nation-wide" "Coast-to-Coast" coverage - their combined coverage exceeds what Rogers can offer. From a consumer perspective they're basically very much the same phone network and same phone service with different flavours of billing. And these days they maintain close parity with the way they structure their plans and prices ... in the end they're almost interchangeable unless one or the other happens to sell a desirable device or commodity feature the others happen to lack.

Public Mobile's "gimmick" is generally low pricing across the board. Without any hidden surcharges and annoyance fees. And a Rewards system which pays off better than any other in the long run. Sometimes they surprise us with free gifts and other motivations, maybe not stuff everyone can use and maybe not enough stuff for those who will use it, yet still far more than I've seen any of the other carriers ever do for their customers.

But Public Mobile is also not the clever, agile, aggressive leader it once was. It's generally become content to simply follow the lead of the other third-tier carriers, match their promos, and avoid rocking the boat.

Telus owns Koodo and Public. Bell owns Virgin and Lucky. Rogers owns Fido and Chatr. Shaw owns Freedom. There's really not as many options as you think, just the Big Three (with their prime-tier, second-tier, and third-tier offerings) and Freedom (if you live in a Freedom Zone) and "little" carriers like SaskTel or Ice Wireless (which basically operate in provinces/territories where the Big Three are locked out).

It's an oligopoly, it's not a free market. And it jealously guards its territory from disruptive competition or foreign incursions. A little weird but the logic, expectations and rules of "normal" economics don't really apply to this business in Canada.

shaker

How Much Mobile Data Do You Need?

Canada has some of the most expensive data rates in the world, so the more you know about how much data you use, the better you can pick the cheapest mobile phone plan.

shaker

Public Mobile 1GB + Talk + Text

The best and cheapest cell phone plan is Public Mobile's prepaid 1GB + Talk + Text plan for $23/month. Just like Koodo, Public Mobile runs on the Telus network covering 99% of Canadians. Data speeds are slowed down to just 3Mbps, but that's still fast enough to chat, browse and even stream Spotify. While $25/30-days might seem high, it includes unlimited nationwide talk time, unlimited text, and Public Mobile has lots of ways to reduce your monthly bill. For example:

• Every 30 days you're credited with $2 towards your next bill when you set up AutoPay
  • After one year, you're credited $1 every 30 days. Then it's $2 after the second year, $3 after the third year, and up to $5/30-days credit for five years of loyalty
  • Save $1/30-days for every friend you refer, and a bonus $10 finder's fee
  • Up to $20 more per bill for helping in the community forum

Public Mobile also has more data options. If you find 1GB isn't enough then get up to 8.5GB data on their larger plans. 

shaker

No Credit Checks or Contracts

Every Public Mobile plan is prepaid, so you won't need a credit check or have to sign a contract. Pay for what you plan to use, then cancel and walk away whenever you want. No cancellation fees. No problems.

You'll need to register a credit card if you sign up with AutoPay and you'll enjoy extra bonuses like larger data caps and a $2 credit on every bill.

I moved this thread to the lounge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jiminy Christmas. Do we need a whole thread of duplicated marketing materials that is already amply provided on the site?

Oh wait...nvm 😞

shaker

Monthly Credits Get You to a $0 Phone Plan

Public Mobile plans are about the same price as their competitors, but they offer more ways to get credits towards your next bill.

• $1 off for every friend you refer for every month they stay a customer (plus a $10 finders fee)
  • $2 off when you set up pre-authorized payments on a credit card
  • $1 off every 30 days after your first year as a customer, $2 off after your second year, $3 after three years and so on
  • Up to $20 off every 30 days when you contribute to their online customer support community

shaker

Bring Your Own Phone

Public Mobile doesn't sell phones. Period.

The good news is that their network runs on a modern 4G-LTE network supported by most mobile phones. You should still check it will work on their network technology by contacting a Public Mobile representative or entering your phone information on the Public Mobile website. If you have an old phone (or know someone who does) then you can save hundreds of dollars instead of buying a new device.

If your smartphone was bought more than two years ago you'll want to confirm that it's not locked to another carrier. If it is, no worries, you can get your phone unlocked for free.

farmbot

This forum.

It's very active and informative.

Posted questions usually get a response within minutes or seconds.

Plus best network in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nvm

shaker

Unlimited Canada-Wide Talk, Text and 2GB of 3G-speed Data

The best value Public Mobile plan is the 2GB Canada-Wide Talk, Text & Data Plan with AutoPay for $38/30 days.

The average Canadian mobile user burns through less than 2GB of data every month. This $33/30-days promotional plan will suit just fine. Sign up with a credit card for AutoPay and Public Mobile will credit your bill $2 making this plan effectively only $33 every 30 days.

Your downloads are limited to "3G speeds" which works out to about 3.0 Mbps (full-speed LTE is over 100Mbps).  Download speeds are throttled, so you won't be able to enjoy Netflix while on the go, but it's still fast enough to stream music.

shaker

Public Mobile's Network Coverage

Because they're owned by Telus, Public Mobile uses the Telus Mobility network. That's a really good thing, because year after year Telus takes the prize for the fastest, largest, and most reliable cell phone network across Canada. They have coverage for 99% of Canadians, and you get full access to that when you're a Public Mobile customer.

Even though you're usually connecting to the Telus LTE network, your downloads may not be full speed. Most Public Mobile plans include "3G-speed" data, which is another way of saying it's throttled to 3Mbps. That's still fast enough for premium-quality audio streams and even some low-resolution videos on YouTube and Netflix. 

While speeds may be slower, it's much cheaper. Public Mobile plans put twice as much mobile data in your pocket for half the price of most plans with premium carriers like Telus, Rogers or Bell. While they compete directly with Chatr and Lucky Mobile, Public Mobile is the only one that lets you switch to full-speed LTE data. It costs more for a lower data cap, but it's nice to have the option without having to switch carriers.

shaker

If high-speed data isn't a priority, you can get 8.5GB of 3G-speed data, unlimited talk and text for as little as $48/30-days

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shaker wrote:

Best Data-Only Plan

Instant messaging, video chat and Voice-Over-IP (VoIP) lets people communicate in so many ways that don't require mobile talk time. Pay for the data and avoid paying for things you don't need.

With unlimited Canada-wide, "talk time" is a thing of the past. The other options require data or wifi. I suppose you could text with MMS but then recipients will need to turn on their data to receive. And still...is 1gb enough for all that?

shaker

Best Data-Only Plan

Instant messaging, video chat and Voice-Over-IP (VoIP) lets people communicate in so many ways that don't require mobile talk time. Pay for the data and avoid paying for things you don't need.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shaker wrote:

GB LTE Data Plan

The best data-only Public Mobile plan is their 1GB LTE Data plan for as low as $28/30 days.

Why I love it ?:

Public Mobile offers a full-speed LTE plan which lets you download at over 100Mbps. The $30 price is similar to more offers from more premium brands like Fido and Koodo, but with AutoPay you get a $2 credit on every bill making this plan effectively only $28/30 days. You don't get any bonus data with AutoPay, but you're also enjoying full-speed LTE on Telus which is Canada's largest, fastest and most reliable network.

Sooo...1 gb is enough for you? And you only use voip (toip ? ) apps for calling and texting?

shaker

GB LTE Data Plan

The best data-only Public Mobile plan is their 1GB LTE Data plan for as low as $28/30 days.

Why I love it ?:

Public Mobile offers a full-speed LTE plan which lets you download at over 100Mbps. The $30 price is similar to more offers from more premium brands like Fido and Koodo, but with AutoPay you get a $2 credit on every bill making this plan effectively only $28/30 days. You don't get any bonus data with AutoPay, but you're also enjoying full-speed LTE on Telus which is Canada's largest, fastest and most reliable network.

maggamoka
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kenlao1020 Congratulations on not using data ! I am also on the $15 plan, I seldom use the data (250 Mo), I am happy I reduced my consumption. 🙂

@Lorca 

No more LTE except $30/1GB plan. You can't switch to LTE except that.

kenlao1020
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am no longer using data on my phone. Other phone carriers can only offer 30dollars as the lowest on their phone plan. So getting a 15dollar monthly plan from public mobile is a good deal. 

Lorca

@shaker  How does a person switch to full speed LTE?

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shaker I am most pleased with the prices,service,community, help, all the great rewards and personally have little issue moving around in self serve or getting answers to questions thanks to Public for a unique service!!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can save additional money by referring friends & family, auto pay reward, & loyalty reward.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes,totally agree with you,I was with Chatr before not any more.

Need Help? Let's chat.