cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Not Public Mobile?

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey,

@cellphoneuser1's comment on my other post "Why Public Mobile?" gave me the idea create this. I'm interested to see how people can defend calling Public Mobile "bad".

40 REPLIES 40

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@Ed404....

Public Mobile also assumes people have a certain level of technical knowledge to troubleshoot and people don't need hand holding. Unfortunately not that many people fall in that category.

I agree if not a techie or if help not found in the community you are hooped. And if MOD help doe not resolve ...you are really hooped. And for most of us the wait is unsatisfactory. The question is....one wait.....and you are up and running flawlessly? I can see a few newbies bailing out. But what great help is offered here!

PM is a DIY mobile provider.

FreePhoneLine(FPL) is a DIY home phone(VoIP) provider.

Users of both services need to know their hardware and know how to fix it.

1.  PM users supply their own phone.  FPL users supply their ATA

2.  PM users need to know how to setup APN for data.  FPL users need to know how to configure ATA

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

@cellphoneuser1's comment on my other post "Why Public Mobile?" gave me the idea create this. I'm interested to see how people can defend calling Public Mobile "bad".

I guess you're now seeing the negatives. Some of it could be from happy customers, but Public isn't perfect.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

@88cranston many are not deal breakers, else PM would have fewer customers.  It was simply a list of limitations to pm service, which I believe what the poster was asking.  A friend of mine did not join BC he needed Visual VM for example.

Yes is good to see lists. But first timers may get a bad impression especially from the community of actual users. 

The OP said “I'm interested to see how people can defend calling Public Mobile "bad".”

mimmo

@88cranston many are not deal breakers, else PM would have fewer customers.  It was simply a list of limitations to pm service, which I believe what the poster was asking.  A friend of mine did not join BC he needed Visual VM for example.

88cranston

@GinYVR wrote:

@Ed404If you need a new phone, there are deals to be had that offer better options than Public Mobile. Public Mobile has competitive list prices but there aren't many movement on pricing (usually $10 off for 6 months), so it falls short when compared with winback offers.

Yes like PetroCanada and SpeakOut has a bring your own phone marketing. Let’s face it a free phone on a contract is NOT free....you are paying for it. So PM folks have access to an existing phone, second hand phone, friends old phone or a new phone from a retailer. PM has cost cutting customers that will find a way. We should not compare PM to a service contract. 

Public Mobile also assumes people have a certain level of technical knowledge to troubleshoot and people don't need hand holding. Unfortunately not that many people fall in that category.

I agree if not a techie or if help not found in the community you are hooped. And if MOD help doe not resolve ...you are really hooped. And for most of us the wait is unsatisfactory. The question is....one wait.....and you are up and running flawlessly? I can see a few newbies bailing out. But what great help is offered here!

88cranston

@mimmo wrote:

Some of the reasons not to choose pm are:

1. Long wait times with little knowledge of wait queue, 3 + days sometimes 

2. Manually request invoices with 30 day wait time

3. Long standing selfserve issues failed renewals , cc not being accepted,  etc...

4. 3g on LTE  vs full LTE speed

5. No visual voice mail

6. No volte 

7. No unlimited data

8. Long distance to only 18 countries

9. Roaming only to usa

Sure there are others.

Most of your points are not deal breakers for me. Only 1. and 3. are issues. 

mimmo

Some of the reasons not to choose pm are:

Long wait times with little knowledge of wait queue, 3 + days sometimes 

Manually request invoices with 30 day wait time

Long standing selfserve issues failed renewals , cc not being accepted,  etc...

3g on LTE  vs full LTE speed

No visual voice mail

No volte 

No unlimited data

Long distance to only 18 countries

Roaming only to usa

Sure there are others.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Ed404If you need a new phone, there are deals to be had that offer better options than Public Mobile. Public Mobile has competitive list prices but there aren't many movement on pricing (usually $10 off for 6 months), so it falls short when compared with winback offers.

88cranston

@Dunkman wrote:

I personally would not recommend Public mobile for an important business line.  

There is no call centre or live person to talk with about customer service issues.  All interactions with company goes via private messaging which takes time to resolve.  Issues usually are resolved in 1-2 days, sometimes even longer when moderators are busier.  Something to consider for people who want to use Public mobile for work purposes.  

What makes you think that way? This community shows legit issues and self inflicted. So take the self inflicted ones out and then ask yourself if a Telus prepaid account would be better or worse than PM? Do we know all the Telus issues that are dealt with...no...do we know how many are similar.....no......do we know what issues are unique to PM vs Telus....no. So why can you say that?

I have had problems with Telus.....but very very few. I have had resolutions after waiting for hours on the phone, resolutions by chat a bit faster, and by email in a week.  

So other questions would be:

What percentage of Telus customers had downtime issues?

What percentage of Telus customers had account or payment issues?

What percentage of Telus customers have had an issue over the last 3 years?

And Ditto for PM

Lots of dirty laundry here...let’s see Telus’s

ps. I chose Telus, because I have Telus. But feel free to substitute with another carrier like Bell. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

I personally would not recommend Public mobile for an important business line.  

There is no call centre or live person to talk with about customer service issues.  All interactions with company goes via private messaging which takes time to resolve.  Issues usually are resolved in 1-2 days, sometimes even longer when moderators are busier.  Something to consider for people who want to use Public mobile for work purposes.  

Need Help? Let's chat.