cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Did You Choose Public Mobile?

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was originally with Koodo and was quite happy with them for awhile. The original plan I had was $40 for 2 GB of data and 500 minutes & messaging. During Covid, I switched to $50 for 5 GB of data and unlimited minutes & messaging. Recently, I decided that my phone bill was just too high and I didn't want to be paying $50. Then I heard about Public Mobile and saw their $30 plan. It's cheaper, it offers more than my original plan, and it's still owned by Telus. I also don't use data often so 2 GB was plenty for me. So far, everything has been good. What's your story? Why did you choose Public Mobile?

65 REPLIES 65

AnnS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I searched for cheapest cell phone service and found Public Mobile.  I liked the price of phone service with added data plan and the chance to get rewards.

I am extremely pleased and fortunate to have decided to join Public Mobile.  

I’m very happy with it.

Julie8
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I chose public mobile because my cell phone provider at the time kept putting my price up and these planes are very affordable! I love the reward system as well.  I’m still new to the community but so far so good I’m still new to the community but so far so good:)

Bahadur713

Sure you have made good choice.

Hoserdave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

PM fits my new working arrangement as I am working from home now.  Data is only used in small amounts.  The perks are what sold it for me over Lucky or the others.  Knowing that my area is a strong Telus network coverage area gave me the confidence that PM would be a great fit.  Since then, I have ported my mother from Rogers and she's more than happy as well.

wildheart

It was the cheapest option I found after being fed up by Bell’s increasing prices. I also really appreciate the rewards! 🙂

CPatten

It was a good affordable option for my 10 year old daughter without breaking the bank. The options for rewards are great too.

TessieBoo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to PM MsSunday!  You’ll love it!

MsSunday
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

Bell has enough of my money 😕  My phone was over the 2 year mark and still fine so no need for a new one.  Public Mobile's offerings suited me just fine.  While it is still new to me, I am happy with it so far!  And thanks to a trusted friend for referring it 🙂  

@hwassink 

Happy you found out about pm. Welcome to public mobile and the community.

hwassink

A friend told me about it and the price and services were right for us.  We don't use a phone a lot so appreciate not having lots of extras that we don't need.  It was easy to get a SIM card locally (apparently they are going fast) and I had no trouble with the set up on my own.

I am a low usual user.. i need some data .. but not a lot.  Rate came down a lot, many great plans around $40-50 , but Public offers good plan starts from $25.  They have the best low end plan. 

I did tried Freedom, but Freedom is not as reliable as Public, and that's why I am here 
🙂

Jordiehopper

Yes the 25$ plan is available all the time however at this particular time they had added bonus data to the plan, making it more than the next plan up. that is what i meant

amy303

Public Mobile was more affordable and had more perks compared to Bell!

jieying_kk

I am still on the grandfather plan for 90 days with LTE. I need the long distance add-on to call home. It was a great service because my home country is not on the preferred list of other providers.

Back then, freedom was really poor so I have to change to something decent.

B12
  • Cheapest plan
  • 500 minutes for $5, does not expire till consumed
  • Cheap-ish data, also does not expire till consumed
  • Nice community of people to chat with

Starchild

Because they had the cheapest plan! 

Matt99
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I chose PM because of the reward program and the amazimg prices 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to keep my monthly cost outlay down.

Lucky
$15
-only 100 minutes total, service pass available but expire - PM 100 minutes outgoing/unlimited incoming - add-ons available no expiry
-no ability to have more than 250MB but yes 128kbps after - PM all you want but no excess
-app - PM none

Chatr
$15
-overage charges for the other minutes but Day Pass available until the next renewal - PM none other than add-on that stays
-data add-ons (Day Pass and Data Plus) only last until the next renewal but yes unlimited at 64kbps in limited zones - PM stays
-app - PM none

I can not find mention of any rewards on either.

PM wins. Easy extra minutes that stay. Easy extra data that stays. I don't need an app. Slow internet seems more marketing fluff than use.

@Hello_Jackson wrote:

Honestly, who wouldn't use public mobile. they have the best priced plans anywhere in Canada, and just because they have low cost plans, doesn't take away from the network quality, since Telus owns them. so, for a great quality network with low costs, and the fact that you can get money taken off your bill, just for being with them, is pretty great.

Public Mobile no longer has the best prices. Long term customres will have great prices because of rewards accumulated over time, but when it comes to plans, they are almost exact copies of Lucky and Chatr, but lack the "unlimited" component as well as a call centre for customer service. 

Hello_Jackson

Honestly, who wouldn't use public mobile. they have the best priced plans anywhere in Canada, and just because they have low cost plans, doesn't take away from the network quality, since Telus owns them. so, for a great quality network with low costs, and the fact that you can get money taken off your bill, just for being with them, is pretty great.

Bullet77

I came over when I wanted to get a better deal with my other provider. They said they couldn't give me a better deal that they were offering new customers. They advised that I should leave and a month later come back. So I came to Public and found their cheaper service was actully better than my other provider and I never went back.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I chose Public Mobile mostly because:

1.  The infamous Fall 2016 promo: $40/30 days for 4 GB LTE + unlimited texts + unlimited prov. calling (actually $120 per 90-days for 12 GB LTE).

2.  The reliable 1st tier coverage of the Belus network, as opposed to Freedom, the alternative I was considering at the time at that price range.  The possibility of getting poor coverage with Freedom was ultimately a dealbreaker for me.

3.  Rewards.  When I was shopping around for a plan, I was  prepared to pay around $40/mo, but then I read about PM's various rewards.  These have delivered beyond my most optimistic expectations:  my cost is now down to less than $15/mo, with more loyalty discount to come.  (For a year, my plan was even free because of the community rewards.)  No other carrier offers so many types of rewards to drastically reduce the monthly cost.

@TessieBoo  PM does have a couple of close competitors for new customers. However, none are close for committed customers who can get $5 off for just hanging around 5 years. 
Even if you prefer to pay with vouchers register a credit card for autopay to gain the autopay reward. Vouchers are sometimes discounted here: 

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@TessieBoo 

You'll find the first few referrals are easy. PM's plans and prices do all the convincing for you.

But then it gets more challenging. Because the people you referred start looking for referrals of their own, usually from the same circle of friends and family.

TessieBoo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes thank you, I did claim my referral for my friend.  I have been telling all my friends about the great deals that PM have.  A lot of my friends are locked in to plans and have to wait for them to expire.

Bahadur713

I bought it for my daughter because it has lower rates than other providers.

@TessieBoo wrote:

Thank you!  I plan on sticking around for a while.  A friend has already signed up too - she was paying $28/month for 40 minutes with no texting.  It didn’t take much to convince her to switch.  She took the $25 plan, and seems to be quite happy with it.

I hope you're claiming referrals. You get an ongoing $1 Referral Reward for as long as your friend has an account on PM. Your friend gets a one-time $10 credit. If you haven't claimed the referral already (with the Referral Code shown in your Self-Serve page) then you can ask @CS_Agent to adjust things ... sometimes they can (they've done it for me once, years ago), sometimes they can't, I think time is a factor.

Every now and then PM encourages more referrals with added bonuses. Referrer and Referred might get an extra ten bucks or whatever. PM SIM cards always seem to be in short supply during the most awesome PM promos/deals, lol, I always keep a couple of spares handy to score referrals. (And even these sometimes go on sale for $5 each.)

@Korth 

I was lucky enough to grab that plan on a change on your next renewal....back when pm gave you some notice as to when they were eliminating a plan. Heres what my other account looks like....

PLUS THE RBC PROMO 5GB DATA ADD ON (UNUSED)PLUS THE RBC PROMO 5GB DATA ADD ON (UNUSED)

@darlicious 

Bonus add-ons from contests and Interviews and Community Workshops? Cool beans!

I guess I missed out by repeatedly declining PM's invites, lol I'm just a slacker in this Community.

(Nice $10 plan btw, I woulda chosen the same if it were still offered.)

@Savebig2 

It's been awhile since public mobile ran a contest or asked for community feedback but they were also ways in which you could ean free Amazon gift cards and free 1gb add ons. They even gave away a years worth of of public mobile service about a year ago (value=$600.)

Screenshot_20200909-020920~2.png

Need Help? Let's chat.