Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the Olympic Spirit??

softech
Oracle
Oracle

surprise no one talk about it here....

we have posts about Euro.. about Hockey.. but no Olympics?

We are 11th by Gold Medal counts

softech_0-1627490529555.png

interestingly.. we are 11th too by Medals counts

27 REPLIES 27

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@TheGx wrote:

@darlicious :Nail bitter that worked out for the good guys!!! Canada changes colour to gold!!!

Yup, VERY cool, BUT, as we talked about before, in a previous thread about soccer, it really sucks to lose AND win via penalty kicks. However, given the nature of soccer, and the relatively low number of scoring chances in many games, I see why they have to do it that way, since any game could potentially last a LOOOOONG time without deciding a winner during regular game play.

Having said that, you got to feel good for Christine Sinclair FINALLY getting to the top, after playing for so long, and scoring SOOOO many goals! 👍

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious :Nail bitter that worked out for the good guys!!! Canada changes colour to gold!!!

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🏅🏅🏅🥳🥳🥳💪💪💪CONGRATULATIONS CANADA GETTING SOCCER GOLD 🍻🍻🍻🥇🥇🥇🏆🏆🏆🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

@CFPartDeux 

Lol....you can't take me down I'm riding that Olympic high!!!!

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Soon it will be the post Olympics let down of adrenalin but hey only 6 more months until the Winter Olympics!!

If they don't get canceled due to the 4th wave, or, for that matter, a potential 5th wave, maybe caused by a variant first found in Colombia, which apparently is largely unaffected by the current vaccines. 😒  How's THAT for being a "downer" on the soccer gold! 😜

@Anonymous 

Soon it will be the post Olympics let down of adrenalin but hey only 6 more months until the Winter Olympics!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I'll say something about sports...yay sports 🙂

His acceleration is incredible. And it takes a team to run a relay.

Wow the Italians take gold in the mens 4×100m relay! The Brits get silver and Andre takes the team from 5th to the bronze medal position for Canada! Well done boys! 

PXL_20210806_164505876.jpgPXL_20210806_164526715.jpgPXL_20210806_164725282.jpg

GOOOOOOOOLLĹLLLD!!!!!🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇️FOR OUR WOMEN'S TEAM!!!!! 

PXL_20210806_145616266~2.jpg

@TheGx 

This women's gold medal game is a nail biter!

@TheGx 

He ran a great race. I'm looking forward to the 4×100 relay both men and womens.

Congrats Andre!

PXL_20210804_190328073~2.jpgPXL_20210804_190331298~2.jpgPXL_20210804_190334804~2.jpgPXL_20210804_190132463~2.jpgPXL_20210804_190335901~2.jpgPXL_20210804_190339429~2.jpgPXL_20210804_190155837~2.jpg

TheGx

@darlicious :Good analysis darlicious👍, Andre DeGrasse wins gold🏅🏅🏅🏆🏆🏆🥇🥇🥇🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦 congratulations to Andre DeGrasse🥳🥳🥳🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦👏👏👏

GO CANADA GO🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦💪💪💪🍻🍻🍻

Hasty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Womens Soccer served up a surprise though 😁 Been 20+ years since we beat the USA in the Olympics. Definitely going to watch the gold medal game.

so far Canadian is not doing as good as Rio's .. 

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I always go for Caanda for the Olympics!! wooo

Italy is for the World Cup and Euros.

@CFPartDeux 

de Grasse had a terrible start but after 2 false starts along with 3 more in the quarter and semi-finals its no wonder he was holding back to avoid too much pressure on the sensors. He was last at 30m. His speed is phenomenal. He had eased up the day before when he ran 9.91. His chances for gold at 200m are very good with more ground to make up time if he is unlucky enough to have another bad start. 

TheGx

Canada gets revenge against america in girls soccer🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🏅🏅🏅🏆🏆🏆🥳🥳🥳🍻🍻🍻

TheGx

Yeah it hard to watch it when can't choose what events to watch, sometime when want to watch one event it not on and only other events with no Canadians are on...anyways hoping Canada can win in girls soccer and girls beach volleyball tonight, as well as Canada win in every event hahaha👍

Awesome for Andre DeGrasse to win medal again even if it bronze, and for all those girl swimmers to win all those medals too 🥳

Go! Canada Go!

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🥇🥇🥇🥈🥈🥈🥉🥉🥉🏆🏆🏆🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

Always cheering for Canada whether they win or lose🍻

stevenanto

Man, I know most of were really expecting him to win this one. I will always remember the 2016 Olympics when my wife and I and newborn son were watching at the hospital, he was right behind Usain Bolt and Bolt told him not this time... What a great athlete and we are still proud of Andre!!

CFPartDeux

Yeah, on one hand, he apparently had a crappy start(didn't see it, but read about it), but OTOH, he did a PB, so you can't knock him for that. Sounds like it was a weird event - two Brits(IIRC) got tossed for start violations, the fastest man so far this year didn't even make the final, and then the winner turns out to be someone they were all unfamiliar with. 🤔

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Wow Italy has the fastest man!  9.80 seconds! de Grasse gets bronze in 9.89 seconds!

PXL_20210801_130232033.jpgPXL_20210801_125229798.jpg

@CFPartDeux 

Hmmmm...Olympics junkie? You need to be on Olympic time. This is the first one in a long time that I haven't been working so that pesky job thing doesn't cut into my viewing time. I might have to have a nap during my dentist appointment  later this afternoon.

Just finished watching a nail biter shoot out between Canada and Brazil and our ladies pulled it off in the end!

@JK8 

The swimming and diving events are my favourite! When I had an Olympic dream it was in swimming alas while I had the endurance (still do) I did not have the speed.😎

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: the subject line...it got covid.

stevenanto

I have always loved watching the Olympics but have not been able to catch too much of it lately, kids keeping me busy but I still do watch highlights. I just cant imagine how hard it is for some of the athletes to be performing where they don't even have one spectator. 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Go Maggie Go! 

Abandoned at birth.

Photographic memory:

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078 164062862089986280348253421170679

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WKJttQjyag

.. honest.. with the Pandemic and Japan still in Emergency state, I have been hoping they cancel or postponed it again.. 

Will see what happens after the games is done, let see how much more covid got spread this way

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Olympics are now a sports event that costs far too much and delivers little. Gave up watching them about 5 years ago. My oldest friends agree. 🤣

Grumpy Old Men 5y.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CFPartDeux

@softech wrote:

surprise no one talk about it here....

we have posts about Euro.. about Hockey.. but no Olympics?

Well, now you've gone and done it, HAVEN'T YOU!!! 😉

Ok, you want to talk Olympics, here's my take on it:

1.) Given the way COVID is raging in Tokyo(today's new cases ~3100, and approx. 170 directly related to the games, so far), IMHO, it should've been canceled a 2nd time.

2.) There being little or no audience kind of takes some of the luster off the whole thing.

3.) I'm usually an Olympics junkie, but last night was the first I've actually sat & watched any of it, and it was kind of boring.

4.) It's obviously more interesting when we can see more Canadian performances, so when the games are in a place like Japan, where the time zones make a big difference, and we have to live with the TV feed supplied by another provider, it kind of sucks. For instance, last night we had the games on at least 6 Canadian channels(CBC, two SN channels, and at least 3, and sometimes 4, of the TSN channels), and among a few rowing events with Canadians in them, along with a couple of Canadian women's boxing matches, we got served up Cuba vs. (I don't remember who) in baseball on both SN channels, and U.S. vs. Iran in men's basketball on a couple of the TSN channels. Not exactly anything I'm particularly interested in. 🙄 That, and when one of the channels was yapping about the "upcoming" women's 8's rowing repechage, that I'd already watched on one of the other channels, 30 mins. - an hr. previously, that's when I turned off the TV.....

Need Help? Let's chat.