cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What streaming device do you have?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've been using the Apple TV 3rd generation box for the longest time.  Mostly use it to watch Youtube content.  But beginning in March, the Youtube app will no longer be supported on the Apple TV 3rd generation.  So I'm thinking about another streaming device and possibly cutting my cable as well.  Leaning towards the Roku Stick Plus model.  What devices do you all have?

44 REPLIES 44

@mobileguy    the Chromecast with Google TV does have a remote...

mobileguy

@softech , i did look at Chromecast but I think I passed on it because of a lack of a remote controller.

@softech wrote:
@mobileguy.. not yet.. but on the way:

https://blog.google/products/google-tv/apple-tv/

(given the rivalry between Apple and Google, i am actually surprise.. LoL )

Apple TV is on Chromecast for Google TV now..

@mobileguy  did you try Chromecast for Google TV ? So far i like it.. good price and decent spec

mobileguy

I looked at the Shield tonight.  It's a bit more than what I would like to spend.  

stevenanto

@BearFBI The shield is great too. I think Ive also had my fire tv since 2015-2016, actually have two. They still run like new and blazing fast.

mobileguy

I'll look at the Shield too.  Don't know anything about it but will check either way.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mobileguy wrote:

I had an Android box once but found it too cumbersome.  Youtube app will stop running on my Apple TV soon but still have not picked up another box.  Still leaning towards the Roku.  Late thanks to all posters.

@stevenanto wrote:

@mobileguy Roku is a good choice, try to look for something that has a quad core, youll want the device to last a few years hopefully before making another switch. 

This just proves my point why the Sheild is the best android box and the one you should buy. People still use their original 2015 Sheild TV's and they STILL run like they just bought them. They also STILL get android updates. My 2 year old sheild is still just as good as it was when i bought it. Buying cheap android boxes then scraping them after a year will cost you the same in the long run and in the end you just have a bad experience. 

stevenanto

@mobileguy Roku is a good choice, try to look for something that has a quad core, youll want the device to last a few years hopefully before making another switch. 

mobileguy

What the heck?  I have email notifications on and never received one email for the last week of responses to my topic.  Stumbled back here and found 2 pages of new posts.  I had an Android box once but found it too cumbersome.  Youtube app will stop running on my Apple TV soon but still have not picked up another box.  Still leaning towards the Roku.  Late thanks to all posters.

stevenanto

@computergeek541 My bad, I didnt know i was not allowed to post the channel name. He did have a bunch of useful tools for the aftv. 

@darlicious wrote:

@stevenanto 

Lol.....I see your still learning what can be posted publicly vs privately! Hmmmm...I couldn't find mr.xxx?

I know that the legality of watching the content can be debated and while I am not a lawyer, the argument has long been that watching copied content or content that hasn't been paid for isn't against the law as the person viewing is not the person providing it or broadcasting it.  However, the person on that website has videos that boldy declare that people can watch all the newest movies and tv shows for free. Telus, a video content provider, isn't going to go for that being discussed here.

@stevenanto 

Lol.....I see your still learning what can be posted publicly vs privately! Hmmmm...I couldn't find mr.xxx?

stevenanto

@darlicious I highly suggest that you watch videos of someone called xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

He is very active and puts up new content every couple of days. He has great how to videos and step by step guides. Let me know if you would like some names for apps that do certain things and I could guide you in the right way

edited by computergeek541:  removed references to a site that shows how to view illegally streamed video content

stevenanto

@computergeek541 Yes with those three you are covered, but there are also lots of third party apps like viva, cyberflix, nova that you can watch any show or movie. They also have some for live tv. 

@darlicious 

Not all Android apps work on Fire tv.  I think that if you have Netflix, Prime Video, and Crave, you're probably going to have most of the content that you want and subscribing to all 3 will probably will still be cheaper than paying a tv provider.

@computergeek541 

Awesome thank you. So essentially any app I already have on my tablet (or may want) I can have using the fire stick? Can I also use the Optik tv app ( at least until I cancel?)

@darlicious 

Fire TV doesn"t require Amazon Prime.  However, you're going to notice a lot of advertising suggesting shows and movies that require a Prime membership.

Even with a Prime membership, there's much content (and channels) that cost extra.  Also, don't always assume that Amazon's rental fees are necessary.  Sometimes,  movies are available elsewhere and the search results won't always tell you.  I would ensure that parental controls are enabled.  It's only makee a simple PIN required to make a purchase, but at least it won't be by accident. After enabling parental controls, you'll probably want to disable age restrictions that get enabled by default or you'll be prevented from watching many movies.

As for free content, there are apps for CTV, GlobalTV, CityTV, and CBC for most current tv shows.  They usually allow you watch show episodes for a week after airing.  Citytv and CBC also also allow live viewing.  i believe that YesTV does as well.  

For American news, the CBSN and ABC News app provide free and untestricted content.  Fox, NBC, and CNN also have apps, but for live viewing, there are memberships fees and time-limited (about 10 minutes at a time) viewing trials. Global also provides free 24/7 Canadian news content.

For some other free (legally provided) content, I would also look into Plex, TubiTV,  Filmrise, and Popcorn Flix.

Can someone explain how you set up the firestick lite to stream your favourite apps with or without amazon prime? What's the difference? What do you recommend to subscribe to and what you can just get for free?

Hoserdave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I run all of my media from Firesticks. Cheap and easy!

stevenanto

@CFPartDeux Kodi is great, can get lots of addons through there but it can tend to slow down your media player after a while at least that was the issue with our apple tv. The aftv does seem to be more customizable and there are others that are probably better 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

To answer the original question - Kodi, on a few computers.

stevenanto

Amazon fire tv, had the apple tv before that then switched as it was getting to be slow. 

AFTV is very customizable and we like it very much. There are a lot great little boxes out there that can do lots of things if modified or played with.

TheGx

Haha, hardcore streaming...Public Mobile should give us some o that!

BearFBI

@mimmo wrote:

@BearFBI   I think much come to needs wants and expectations.  not disagreeing that the sheild is probably the best on the market lets call it the Ferrari of the group,  but if you are only going to use it for a couple stock apps no need for a Ferrari.

Well. I mean that is a good point. If your just watching Netflix or simple streaming services it'll be fine.

Im talking more about about hardcore streaming. Like streaming from Kodi, IPTV subscriptions, pretty much "grey area" stuff. Using the streaming services I use on a firestick would be painfull. 

Now if no one is into "grey area" streaming sheild is still good for gaming, even just a regular polished streamer if you have the money for it. 

Goodlife062404
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Buzz tv

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BearFBI   I think much come to needs wants and expectations.  not disagreeing that the sheild is probably the best on the market lets call it the Ferrari of the group,  but if you are only going to use it for a couple stock apps no need for a Ferrari.

I used to use the generic china boxes (junk, no updates crappy remote crappy interface)  and moved away from them when mi-box arrived and then to firestick (more economical) and now have a fire cube (liked the ir blaster in it). happy with all the above for my needs.

BearFBI
@computergeek541 wrote:

I find Nvidia Shield to be overpriced for what you get. This leads to the comparison to other Android boxes. While the content available in the Android ecosystem is generally very good, many of these boxes come with rooted software. Many users consider that a plus, but the fact is that there are common apps that will refuse to run if the device has been rooted. Also, the software on these tends not to be well optimize for use on a tv screen and use with a remote control. 

I have to disagree with this. The sheild is priced a little high but for what you get I think its prefect. First of all you get a well made premium looking and feeling android box. Second of all the shield's software experience is the absolute best on the market running android TV. The original 2015 sheild STILL gets android updates to this day and its still a great box. For longevity the sheild is the best route. 

Stil speaking about Android, Google TV is probably fine, but I believe this product to be couple years too late to the market.  Fire TV has such a high rate of acceptance now and the content available is much better than on Roku.  Fire TV devices are probably the best priced streaming units for what you get. though I do find that there is too much advertising within the interface. 

I have  to disagree with this too. For what you get with the FireTV its pretty decent. But when you start getting into intensive tasks or complex video codec's the fire TV falls apart. The first gen FireTV dosent get any updates and its extremely slow. So longevity is non existing with the FireTV route. FireTV interface is also not my favorite and full of ads. Google TV is not late. its just an updated UI of Android TV and works the same way

If someone is looking for universal comptability and all content to be available, a computer system hooked up your tv is still the best option for that.

Now I partly agree with that. Only problem is its a hassle to setup and using windows on a TV is just a pain. Sheild TV supports almost EVERYTHING. Every codec in the world that sheild pretty much has. It can play video sometimes better than a PC can. Sheild even supports codec's that PC's dont have at all. Also all the streaming media is pretty much optimized for android or in the form of an android app. 

Just saying. The sheild is the best android box you can buy. 

BearFBI

Nvidia Sheild tv 2017 edition. Looking into buying another one (the new Sheild TV pro 2019 edition) for another TV.

By far the best streaming box on the market. I absolutely love them. I cut the cord about 3 years ago. 

@mobileguy .. not yet.. but on the way:

https://blog.google/products/google-tv/apple-tv/

(given the rivalry between Apple and Google, i am actually surprise.. LoL )
Need Help? Let's chat.