cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What streaming device do you have?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've been using the Apple TV 3rd generation box for the longest time.  Mostly use it to watch Youtube content.  But beginning in March, the Youtube app will no longer be supported on the Apple TV 3rd generation.  So I'm thinking about another streaming device and possibly cutting my cable as well.  Leaning towards the Roku Stick Plus model.  What devices do you all have?

44 REPLIES 44

mobileguy

Does Chromecast have Apple TV?  

I have 2 Nexus Players.. it's old but still strong..Google has kept supporting it for awhile

I just got a new Chromecast for Google TV.. it's a lot more responsive and working quiet well..  Price is good.. highly recommended. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have a Google Nexus Player and a clone Google player.  I am still paying my monthly Telus Optik TV subscription with my Optik Internet service.

I also have an Ouya box collecting dust...

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I got the new Apple TV and use it for YouTube and CBC Gem and The National, I don't pay any subscriptions, I like how it plays anything on my phone straight onto my TV.

Edit: don't have cable or house phone for years.

mobileguy

@Nezgar , doesn't look like the Roku 3 is an available device anymore.  I did find it on Amazon for $350 so I'll have to pass on that.  I was thinking about the Roku Stick+ because it supported 4K and HDR.  I'll research more on the speed issue and see what's up with that.

@mobileguy 

I would shy away from most of the "stick/chromecast" type media devices, as from reviews I read before deciding on the Roku 3 was that they were painfully slow, and I can attest the Roku 3 feels very snappy. Android media boxes might be another options for "free" stuff and realtime grey-market media streaming, but I dont have personal experience with those... for downloaded media I'll just hookup the laptop to the TV and play them with VLC.

The Roku 3 also has a wired ethernet port which eliminates all kinds of troubleshooting headaches if you are able..

mobileguy

I don't see CityTV as a channel of Roku but they do have GlobalTV which has a Canadian city coverage.  I might do what Nezgar is doing.  Downgrading my cable service and getting the Roku.  It was between the Roku Stick+ and the Amazon Firestick.  Based on my watching habits, I think Roku is the better choice.  I ruled out the Google Chromecast and Android type boxes.  Thanks all for your responses and input.

I have a Roku 3 that initially was primarily for Netflix, but now Prime video and Crave was recently (finally!) added as well. All three of those subscriptions are "shared" with family. 😉

I also have a "starter" bell satellite subscription which is good value still at $23/mo after tax for basic HD local and some US channels.

@mobileguy wrote:

Crave is now there and CBC as well.  But no CTV.

Crave wasn't there when I last checked, but then again, I gave up on Roku long ago.

Did CityTv ever make it onto Roku? Based on the fact that it only came to Android tv about last April, I'm very much doubting that it's on Roku. Sideloaded Citytv didn't work on Fire TV.

mobileguy

Crave is now there and CBC as well.  But no CTV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy wrote:

I think Roku right now supports more Canadian content.  How long ago did you try the Roku?

It was last year like early summer thereabouts. I will say that it knew how to talk to my old Pioneer. The Shield still doesn't. Nor my "new" Pioneer. ie. volume. I think it did power by way of HDMI.

@mobileguy wrote:

I've been using the Apple TV 3rd generation box for the longest time.  Mostly use it to watch Youtube content.  But beginning in March, the Youtube app will no longer be supported on the Apple TV 3rd generation.  So I'm thinking about another streaming device and possibly cutting my cable as well.  Leaning towards the Roku Stick Plus model.  What devices do you all have?

I too, was also dissatisfied with the content on Roku. While I find the interface the easiest to use, the main Canadian tv networks (except for Global) didn't have a an app/channel.  Last I checked, Crave wasn't available either. 

I find Nvidia Shield to be overpriced for what you get. This leads to the comparison to other Android boxes. While the content available in the Android ecosystem is generally very good, many of these boxes come with rooted software. Many users consider that a plus, but the fact is that there are common apps that will refuse to run if the device has been rooted. Also, the software on these tends not to be well optimize for use on a tv screen and use with a remote control. 

Stil speaking about Android, Google TV is probably fine, but I believe this product to be couple years too late to the market.  Fire TV has such a high rate of acceptance now and the content available is much better than on Roku.  Fire TV devices are probably the best priced streaming units for what you get. though I do find that there is too much advertising within the interface. 

If someone is looking for universal comptability and all content to be available, a computer system hooked up your tv is still the best option for that.

mobileguy

I think Roku right now supports more Canadian content.  How long ago did you try the Roku?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried one of the Roku's but the apps were kinda limited particularly Canadian content. It seemed just sorta kinda cheap too. I also tried the Shield TV and it all works very well and it's Android and it's just kinda slick. I kept it. Stupid expensive but slick.

Need Help? Let's chat.